Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 19:19   #31
BHPian

Re: The Musical Instruments Thread

Love the response on this thread! Makes me happy to see so many BHPIANs sharing the same passion and zeal towards music.

One aspect that really interests me is how the instruments react to weather. One example is during winter last year, it was quite cold for a few days and then it started getting hot during the days. During one such day, I opened my Tabla bag and removed the cover to find my tablas skin TORN! 😳

Got it replaced and that ruined the tabla forever :(
(misaligned skin, cheap quality skin)
Attached Thumbnails
The Musical Instruments Thread-screenshot_20201112190428600_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg  

Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 21:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
I'm not sure if such a thread exists, curious to know if any BHPIAN plays any kind of musical instruments?
I play the Tabla, have been learning for almost 9 years now. Every moment spent practicing and playing is pure bliss.

Hope to hear from all of you!
I am a multi instrumentalist. My main instruments being Guitar and Drums, I also play tabla,keyboard and ukelele. Being a musician I too had this curiosity about BHPians playing instruments or being into music.

For the ones who are into music check out my new Youtube Channel. The name is Rongon Phukan.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T...rjXVlllhsgJfsg

Appreciate you for creating this thread.
Ibanez_70 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 21:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have been playing the keyboard ( learning on my own) for many years, switched between Yamahas and Casios, but last year got a slightly upgraded instrument in the Korg EK50.
I have also dabbled with GarageBand on my Macbook and am planning to get Logic Pro.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 23:16   #34
BHPian

So delighted to see this thread! Nice to see fellow musicians here.

I'm a full time musician here, primarily a vocalist (playback singing, stage performer, etc.) but I also play the violin (Carnatic) and do a bit of composing and programming. Thank you Sreesh1009 for creating this thread. Hope this comes down to a Live T-BHP musicians meet. That would just take this to the next level
freakmuzik is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 00:20   #35
BHPian

Searching on my query related to drums I came across this lovely thread. Will post my requirements later but here is the video of my son playing Guitar.

Other one plays Drums but I am unable to record. Will try one and post later.

Thanks,
Pradip.
pradipk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 02:16   #36
BHPian

I bought myself a digital piano during COVID. I've never really learnt playing from a teacher but I can play melodies based on ear-hand co-ordination. I'm still learning the chords and trying to play using my left hand. My guru these days is a book I just bought and of course youtube!

Last edited by HKap : 13th November 2020 at 02:18.
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 04:39   #37
BHPian

I play the Drums. Have always wanted to play, but never got around to bite the bullet. Then when i was 55, went to Furtados and asked him if it was wise to buy one at this age. He looked at my wife, asked her if she would stand by me through good and bad and loud noise and sold me a set.

I got some formal training and am at my happiest playing along with old numbers.
earthian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 08:09   #38
BHPian

Violin player. 7 years of formal training in school. Can read/play score.
asingh1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 08:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
It has an ipad app.
that is the problem! I am an Android user

Any suggestions for a connected app like this available for Android? I quite liked the concept of connecting the tab to the Piano for real time feedback.
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 09:32   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
that is the problem! I am an Android user

Any suggestions for a connected app like this available for Android? I quite liked the concept of connecting the tab to the Piano for real time feedback.
I have used Flowkey, and it's quite good. I think the problem is it won't let you go pass until you do well! There's a one month free trial with most apps like this and Skoove. All the best, use Note Teacher for sight reading practice after you learn the memory tricks for it (Good Boys Don't Fail!) and this guy gives a comparison chart:

Last edited by proton : 13th November 2020 at 09:40.
proton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 18:17   #41
BHPian

Ah! An interesting thread!

So happy to see the other side of fellow members

I've been playing acoustic guitar for around six years. Had a band back in college and we made our own compositions. Traveled to a few cities for performances as well, but nothing too extravagant. We got back for another song last year (attaching the link for the same at the bottom of this post), but we're back to being busy with our respective lives.

Since we have two more guys in the band, I switch around based on the team's requirement. I play the keyboard and the harmonium on an amateurish level. Gave the flute a shot sometime in between, too.

Was smitten by Ukelele a few years back and have been at it consistently. So, all-in-all, I can play the guitar and uke alright, the keyboard and harmonium if needed, and flute just to increase the count.

satrikon_454 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 14:26   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

As many will guess (although some who should, don't) I have some association with carnatic percussion.

I went to mridangam class (age about 40), because I wanted to get some understanding of some part of what I see on stage, and I don't have a good sense of pitch for instrumental. Yes, of course, one needs pitch for mridangam too!

Anyway, I continued to call myself a "first-year" mridangam student for a few years, and gained some facility with the morsing. Maybe I can claim to play the lowest-cost musical instrument here.

I teamed up with a couple of classmates (aged about 11). The mridangist's mother is a veena teacher in London, and she used to call me to play with the youngsters. I had a wonderful time, and was quite good at my level.

I lack memory skill and I'm almost innumerate: not good for a carnatic musician. In Chennai, I found that even the littlest kids were way ahead of me. I settled in to being just audience
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 18:19   #43
BHPian

Lovely thread. Great to read about the musical interests of fellow BHPians. Heart warming to see a couple of them taking it up to the professional level

I play the Guitar and the Drums. Tried learning the tabla but gave up in a couple of months. Currently learning the keyboard since the past 6 months.

Also tried my hand at teaching Guitar and Drums. Had a few students on and off but it never really took off in full steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Digital - Keyboard - Gave away my initial Yamaha and splurged on the Casio PX560. It is absolutely brilliant and I am currently learning it through a piano course on Udemy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
How is your experience with Udemy? Even I want to learn keyboards but I am a little apprehensive about online music classes.
Any feedback on the Udemy course?
Old 31st March 2021, 20:44   #44
BHPian

I started learning carnatic violin very recently, and also very late in life. But I am so glad that it happened atleast now.

I had a tiny desire somewhere deep down in me to learn some musical instrument some day. But I have no knowledge of music whatsoever, neither in family or friends circle. So I didnt pursue actively all these years. But I always enjoyed all kinds of music especially watching live concerts . The most memorable being the Singapore Symphony Orchestra at the famous Esplanade Theatre, without any microphones, speakers or any electronic gadgets, just pure natural sound aided by the acoustics of the hall. It was surreal !!

Then it so happened that an opportunity to learn music just fell right at my doorstep, that too carnatic violin, considered most difficult to play. My teacher was kind enough to accept me as his student along with other students whose average age was 10-12 yrs. He patiently taught me the basics of carnatic music and the violin. All I had to do was just blindly follow him. I am happy that I can play few Githams and Swarajathis now. Just a tiny drop in the mighty ocean. More than anything else, I am surprised that I could break my own mental barriers and do something which I never thought I could do.

And then the pandemic struck. Online classes/youtube lessons doesnt help much with learning violin. It needs a proper guidance from the teacher especially for fingering. I still practice whatever I have learnt so far. The major difficulty I face is tuning the violin myself since I dont have good ears for the shruti. I am still searching for good avenues to continue my learning.

I also love to learn Mrindagam someday!
mankuthimma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 15:59   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post

Any feedback on the Udemy course?
Unfortunately, i never got around to proceeding with that course. Got busy with work but from whatever I have done in that, it is definitely well structured and more than enough to learn by yourself (provided you are motivated enough and practice regularly)
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks