Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2020, 18:40   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away

Soumitra Chatterjee who passed away this afternoon, was among India's finest actors. He acted in over 300 films, working until his recent hospitalisation since October 6th, about 40 days ago. A favourite of Satyajit Ray as the hero for many of his Bengali films (with whom he worked in fourteen films), Soumitra Chatterjee never had to look back. In fact, he started his career with Satyajit Ray's Apur Sansar (1959) and had worked under famous Bengali film Directors Mrinal Sen, Tapan Sinha and Tarun Mazumdar.

Soumitra Chatterjee was also the first Indian film personality conferred with the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, France's highest award for artists. He was a recipient of the Padma Bhushan in 2004 and later the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2012. In 2018, exactly thirty years after auteur Satyajit Ray was honoured with France's highest civilian award, the coveted Legion of Honor, thespian Soumitra Chatterjee, arguably, the most prominent face of Ray's films, also received the prestigious Ordre des Arts et des Lettres award, the first ever for an Indian actor. His personality, talent and acting abilities have made him an icon. Always playing the underdog and common man, he could easily be identified as among them by his audience. Rarely seen in glamorous roles, the legend was working until he was hospitalised.

"His death need not be mourned, but his life celebrated" said his daughter Ms Poulami Bose earlier this evening. Soumitra Chatterjee is survived by his wife Deepa, son Sougata and daughter Poulami.

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-1.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-s.radhakrishnanvp-sharmila-tagore-satyajit-ray-01051960.jpeg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-aranyer-din-ratri-1970-1964-mk-ii.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-aranyer-din-ratri-1964-mk-ii.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterje-arayner-din-ratri1970-1964-mk-ii.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-aranyer-din-ratri-1970-1964-mk-ii.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-aranyer-din-ratri-1970.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-aranyer-din-ratri-ford-zephyr-six.jpg

A Ford Zephyr Six above

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-1.jpeg

Above six images are from Aranyer Din Ratri (Days and Nights in Forest) (1970) a Satyajit Ray film

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-abhijan1962pho01.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-soumitra-chatterjee-abhijan1962pho02-willys-station-wagon.jpg

The above two images are from his film Abhijan (1962)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away

Loss of a colossus figure and arguably the finest actor our country has ever produced. His stature is so huge that his absence will be impossible to fill. His name will live on in the wonderful work he has done. Apart from the movies, his work in the theatre world is unparalleled and that he worked till his living life is another inspiration.

I hope the present generation gets to know his greatness but going by the appalling coverage of the national media regarding the death of a person who has got the highest civilian award of France ( LEGION OF HONOR ) apart from the countless recognitions across the world is disappointing. May he flies well, his legend lives on.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 15th November 2020 at 19:13.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:11   #3
BHPian

Wish he hadn't gone back to shooting soon after the end of lockdown. He was a cancer survivor and had other co-morbidities.

Although it was expected for sometime, still the news of his death brought tears to my eyes. Feels like a big personal loss. For BHPians who don't know him, heres some articles on him-
The Hindu
Sharmila Tagore (both of them nade their debut in the same movie)
DaptChatterjee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 12:56   #4
BHPian

A part of my childhood gone forever. He was one of the best actors in Bengali film industry , but for me (I am sure there are others like me as well ), he was Feluda ( a fictional sleuth created by Ray)
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 17:14   #5
BHPian

One of the finest actors to have ever graced the silver screen in Indian cinema. The loss is greater as he was still active.

Wish he didn't have to struggle so much in passing
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 19:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

A thespian and legend in the truest sense.The quintessential and unrivalled Feluda, and my favourite Bengali actor of all times, eyes closed. Rest in peace Feluda. You will be missed for generations to come.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th November 2020 at 19:23.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 21:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Introduced to his work in the last decade or so by my Bengali better half, and I came to appreciate the breadth of the man's talent and creative intellect.

A cultural icon, and one worth every accolade that came his way.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 21:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't help thinking about this fantastic short movie -
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:06   #9

RIP.
Love the 'Aranyer Din Ratri' photos.
Always reminds me of short & long road-trips. In fact, 2 movies that always keep me on my toes are - "Aranyer Din Ratri" and "Dil Chahta Hai". I did a lot of Bangalore-Goa, Bangalore-Pune, Bangalore-Mumbai, and Kolkata-Deoghar inspired by these 2.
Will miss seeing him; but that's how Life is.
We are all nothing more than Dust eventually.
sghosh2019 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 12:00   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

IThe international media has given a wide coverage to the passing away of the legendary actor, writer and poet -unprecedented for any Indian film personality! We could have surely missed out on many such memes !

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0020.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0019.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0021.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0017.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0018.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0014.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0015.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0012.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0013.jpg

Legendary actor Soumitra Chatterjee passes away-img20201119wa0009.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th November 2020 at 12:03.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 18:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
IThe international media has given a wide coverage to the passing away of the legendary actor, writer and poet -unprecedented for any Indian film personality!
Tells you the story, I have written exactly the same thing earlier. Just as he was recognised so late in his life by the National Awards of the country when he had already won countless awards in various countries all over the world. The coverage by the world press is a testimony to the fact that he was respected and admired all across the world.

A man who worked in a regional industry, was recognised the world over but his own country did not give the man his due. We as a nation do not know how to honour our gems for sure and I am certainly not being regionalistic here !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 20:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Even today, a mention of Sonar Kella brings a smile to my whole family's face! One of the few movies I can see in any mood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonar_Kella
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:05   #13

Incidentally the legend Soumitro Chatterjee left for his heavenly abode on the same year which marks the birth centenary of his alma mater Satyajit Ray. Ray cannot be termed as person, he was beyond that - author, director, illustrator, music composer, most importantly a visionary, a man with a Midas touch, way ahead of his times. He was an institution where the legend Soumitro debuted through Apu Sansar - and the rest as we know it, is history! A salute to both the Legends for their contributions to Indian culture and cinema.

Imperative to mention, that I was first smitten by the travel bug when I used to watch/read Feluda (Soumitro), always on the go to solve cases while visiting places and his research before visiting any place. I learnt a lot of place names and their historical significance through the Feluda movies and Ray's other works. As Soumitro's daughter rightly said - both of these Legend's death shouldn't be mourned, rather their life needs to be celebrated in every way, shape and form.

Most Viewed