Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2021, 17:13   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fat to Fit - A journal of my fitness journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Tryptophan is found in brown rice, turkey and such. Excellent for people who need food before bed time so they don’t raid the fridge at midnight.
Good tip, thanks! I can't afford to skip dinner, it's my main meal and I already lose weight too easily. I usually work out in the evenings, post-6 and get back home by 9, so a late dinner is pretty much the default on most days. And yes, do have trouble sleeping before 12-1 am on most days because of that.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 17:48   #437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Try this for a week and watch if your deep sleep improves in actual numbers.

And more importantly report back here so i know if this works for you too lol.
Sure. Thanks a lot. I have ordered the tea. Let me try this technique for a couple of weeks and observe my deep sleep numbers and update.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 16:23   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge3p View Post
I will check-in again with second month results.
Okay, so I didn't check-in with second month result. However I continued with IF during these two months, and current body weight stands at 87.5 kg with a total weight loss of 20+ kilograms in 3 months. Had been playing with various fasting periods during second month with few OMAD, 2MAD and one 40 hour fasting. But during last month mostly settled to 16:8 fasting, eating window regime. There have been few cheat days in between too. Excellent results overall and I am very happy that I could run this into third month. Goal is to reduce 5 more Kgs and also get my BMI and Weight to Height Ratio to healthy levels along with continuing IF. Thank you for this wonderful thread.
dodge3p is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 20:11   #439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge3p View Post
However I continued with IF during these two months, and current body weight stands at 87.5 kg with a total weight loss of 20+ kilograms in 3 months.
...Goal is to reduce 5 more Kgs and also get my BMI and Weight to Height Ratio to healthy levels along with continuing IF. Thank you for this wonderful thread.
That is excellent progress Keep going.

I would also suggest you include some physical activities like some brisk walks and some strength training sessions. That will build lean muscles to replace the fat being lost and will give you the best results.
Old 12th August 2021, 22:30   #440
BHPian

Quote:
If anyone wants me to talk through a few deep sleep protocols, let me know.
Hi: could you please elaborate more on this- resources, videos etc? Do you recommend a formal sleep study before executing these protocols?
Nikhil Beke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 07:13   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If anyone wants me to talk through a few deep sleep protocols, let me know.

Deep sleep is fundamentally the most important part of our lives. And probably the most neglected.
Hi, Could you share more info on this. I would be keen to learn about it. This has been my challenge. I dont know if my Samsung watch records correctly, but my deep sleep rarely exceeds 30 mins.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 07:21   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi, Could you share more info on this. I would be keen to learn about it. This has been my challenge. I dont know if my Samsung watch records correctly, but my deep sleep rarely exceeds 30 mins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Hi: could you please elaborate more on this- resources, videos etc? Do you recommend a formal sleep study before executing these protocols?
It is good to have a baseline before you start. Which means some kind of smart watch which tracks sleep metrics reasonably well, so that you can measure improvement over a period of time and see what works and what doesn't.

I will start a new thread on this topic.

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th August 2021 at 07:24.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 09:27   #443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is good to have a baseline before you start.
Update on the Chamomile tea. Have been taking this before bed time for about a week. I must confess, I have not followed the hot bath and no electronics rule strictly. There were a couple of days when the watch reported deep sleep more than 1:15 hours. There were also days with 50 minutes of deep sleep. These were days when I had really high intensity kettlebell workouts. So, I guess too much of fatigue also affects deep sleep.

But I do feel overall sleep quality is better. I see 8 hours of sleep on most days with a couple of days touching 8:30 hours. More than sleep, I like the soothing taste of Chamomile tea. It feels good to have it before bed.

I will definitely work towards avoiding electronics an hour before bed time. This may be tougher than getting used to IF and long fasts it seems
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 09:40   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Update on the Chamomile tea. Have been taking this before bed time for about a week. I must confess, I have not followed the hot bath and no electronics rule strictly. There were a couple of days when the watch reported deep sleep more than 1:15 hours. There were also days with 50 minutes of deep sleep. These were days when I had really high intensity kettlebell workouts. So, I guess too much of fatigue also affects deep sleep.

But I do feel overall sleep quality is better. I see 8 hours of sleep on most days with a couple of days touching 8:30 hours. More than sleep, I like the soothing taste of Chamomile tea. It feels good to have it before bed.

I will definitely work towards avoiding electronics an hour before bed time. This may be tougher than getting used to IF and long fasts it seems
Workouts increase cortisol (heavier + longer = more cortisol = more stress) which is a precursor for what we call stress. Workouts done late evening will keep your cortisol levels elevated before you sleep. This is not good. We know what stress does to sleep

But if you do such workouts in the morning, dont you see that your entire day remains focused and powerful? That's because of the natural cortisol plus adrenaline release which is followed by dopamine etc.

Do this. Involve one more protocol every week or ten days. Don't go all in. Your mind will fight back. So now that chamomile has become a habit, choose another habit. Choose easiest first. Maybe Hot shower. Then ten days later no electronics etc.

Chamomile works because of Apigenin which promotes sleep and calmness. Supplements that contain apigenin to be avoided if it is found naturally in such tea.

The protocols I gave you are amongst the easiest, there are more to follow to keep this sustainable and fix your body for good

Lastly it takes great effort to follow such protocols
Because they are essentially turning over our Decades of accumulated bad habits. Its very tough but very gratifying.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 10:01   #445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But if you do such workouts in the morning, dont you see that your entire day remains focused and powerful? That's because of the natural cortisol plus adrenaline release which is followed by dopamine etc.
Absolutely well said. I do my workouts always in the morning in fasted state. The more the intensity of the workout, the better I feel through the day

Quote:
Do this. Involve one more protocol every week or ten days. Don't go all in. Your mind will fight back. So now that chamomile has become a habit, choose another habit. Choose easiest first. Maybe Hot shower. Then ten days later no electronics etc.
This is a very good idea. I will start this hot shower habit immediately.

Quote:
Lastly it takes great effort to follow such protocols
Because they are essentially turning over our Decades of accumulated bad habits. Its very tough but very gratifying.
Totally agree. I am going to sincerely work on this sleep quality.

Thank you so much for bringing this up and sharing so much information and guidance.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:12   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely well said. I do my workouts always in the morning in fasted state. The more the intensity of the workout, the better I feel through the day

Just one more small suggestion. Limit your workout to 45 minutes for some time and see how you sleep. Intensity can be the same as before (reduce rest time if needed, or increase time spent within each rep). If you are already doing this - no problem.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 11:20   #447
BHPian

Quote:
I will start a new thread on this topic.
Would be great if you cover obstructive sleep apnoea as well- a condition with a structural problem at the level of throat(pharynx) and where weight loss is a proven treatment- in line with the original thread
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 12:36   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Would be great if you cover obstructive sleep apnoea as well- a condition with a structural problem at the level of throat(pharynx) and where weight loss is a proven treatment- in line with the original thread
That might be beyond my current scope, as I only studied and implemented protocols and science to improve my own sleep cycles. I do not suffer from sleep apnoea, and neither am I a doctor.

I will start the thread with what I know and what I know worked for me and is medically/clinically accepted around the world. Am sure resident TBHP doctors will also pitch in with their knowledge on this particular issue
Old 13th August 2021, 13:08   #449
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
TE-A-ME Chamomile Infusion, 25... https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00P62VDI0?...p_mob_ap_share

Quote:
Sure. Thanks a lot. I have ordered the tea. .
I tried clicking on the link but it was not available. Must it be the specific one in the link or their other options listed from same brand also serve the same purpose? I see turmeric, apple something, mint etc. too.

Keen to give this a try if it helps in deep sleep.

Thank you
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 13:19   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I tried clicking on the link but it was not available. Must it be the specific one in the link or their other options listed from same brand also serve the same purpose? I see turmeric, apple something, mint etc. too.

Keen to give this a try if it helps in deep sleep.

Thank you
I am currently using this

ONLYLEAF Chamomile Green Tea For Stress Relief & Good Sleep, Made with 100% Whole Leaf & Natural Chamomile Flowers, 27 Pyramid Tea Bags (25 Tea Bags + 2 Free Samples) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07D9W9H5P/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Pure chamomile ONLY.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks