Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 13:54   #136
BHPian

Re: Investing in debt funds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Is it not possible to do it directly with RBI retail?
I suppose that is possible too but the added hassle of maintaining another account beats doing everything with one account at a small added cost.
Old 6th February 2023, 14:56   #137
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Need a help!
I have some cash which I do not need for the next 5 years. I thought of doing SIP in an index fund over next 1 year, but looking at the current market trend I am not sure. What is the best FD alternate debt instrument where I can get a decent return? Thanks in advance!
Old 6th February 2023, 15:17   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Hi, Need a help!
I have some cash which I do not need for the next 5 years. I thought of doing SIP in an index fund over next 1 year, but looking at the current market trend I am not sure. What is the best FD alternate debt instrument where I can get a decent return? Thanks in advance!

You can look at debt funds with low duration.

https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...d-direct-plan/

Since your timeline is 5 years hybrid funds are also a good choice

https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...nd-direct-plan
Linuskm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 15:35   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Need a help!
You can look into the credit risk category given the present market condition. I would personally recommend ICICI Prudential Credit Risk fund as it has consistently delivered superior returns while not partaking in any negative credit event, the fund is professional managed with an enviable track record. I feel it would suit your investments need.
Thebat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:19   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Need a help!
Which tax bracket are you in?
If you are in 30% bracket, then any decent debt fund (not necessarily the credit risk funds) should be more efficient than FD.
Reason: FD interest is taxed as per your tax bracket. Debt funds held for more than 3 years qualify as long term capital gains and are taxed at 20% with indexation benefit.

Look for debt funds which may have good balance of exposure to Govt bonds, Corporate bonds (AAA or above) with average duration of 2-3 years. Like Linuskm suggested, Hybrid funds (typically equity exposure of 15% approx) may also do well in the 5 year duration that you have in mind.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:57   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Because we cannot predict what the interest rates trend will be like over the next 5 years, the best strategy to use "Fixed Income Laddering"
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bondladdering.asp

To keep it simple -

- Invest 34% in liquid funds (will benefit from rising interest rates)
- Invest 33% in PSU debt & banking fund (or BharatBond ETF)
- Invest 33% in G-sec Regular funds (will benefit from falling interest rates)

The above portfolio will give the best "risk adjusted returns" (highest returns taking the lowest risk).

Now if you want to take a higher risk (with a possibility of higher returns):

- Invest 34% in "Low Duration" funds
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...uspended-plans
- Invest 33% in "Corporate Bond" fund
- Invest 33% in "G-Sec Constant Maturity" fund
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 19:54   #142
BHPian

Quote:
What is the best FD alternate debt instrument where I can get a decent return? Thanks in advance!
You should look at Target Maturity Debt Funds. This relatively new category of debt funds, buy G-Secs, State Govt SDLs, PSU bonds, or AAA rated bonds and have a fixed end date, and a predictable (not guaranteed) return. I have written about it earlier in this thread. There is no lock-in, so you can redeem it earlier if needed.
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 10:11   #143
BANNED

I want to park my money for 1 year. I can get around 7% from an FD. Is there any kind of debt fund which can be better considering the following assumptions

- Interest rates won't probably go down in the next 1 year
- Interest rates may go up by 0.25% to 0.50% over the next 1 year (which may mean NAV of debt funds may go down & hence may offset some of the interest in the debt fund)
- Differential tax treatment of debt funds & FDs
- 10+ Lakh Tax bracket.
Old 3rd March 2023, 10:31   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I want to park my money for 1 year. I can get around 7% from an FD. Is there any kind of debt fund which can be better considering the following assumptions
You could look at 'low duration' funds with average maturity of around 1 year
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...&tab=portfolio

When you list the funds based on 'yield to maturity', you will find some funds with yield greater than 7% and going up to 8.2%. These funds are most likely to beat 7% FD returns

Investing in debt funds-screenshot_1.png

However, in my opinion, it does not make much sense to try and generate extra alpha over fixed deposits. Those gains are not worth our time.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 11:19   #145
BHPian

Quote:
For any debt fund - wouldn't the taxation remain same as FD over 1 year? with Long term capital gain+indexation kicking in only after 3 years?

New to the MF scene so pardon my ignorance if I am missing something here.
Old 3rd March 2023, 13:51   #146
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
You could look at 'low duration' funds with average maturity of around 1 year
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...&tab=portfolio

Thank you. And for a longer time period say 3 to 5 years what kind of debt funds would you advise which could outperform FDs.
Old 4th March 2023, 10:36   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
For any debt fund - wouldn't the taxation remain same as FD over 1 year? with Long term capital gain+indexation kicking in only after 3 years?
You are right. For a period of less than 3 years a debt fund has no advantage over a FD viz a viz taxation.
For a period of >1 year and <3 years arbitrage funds are alow risk option and are treated as equity from a taxation perspective
Old 4th March 2023, 10:41   #148
BHPian

Quote:

- Interest rates won't probably go down in the next 1 year
- Interest rates may go up by 0.25% to 0.50% over the next 1 year (which may mean NAV of debt funds may go down & hence may offset some of the interest in the debt fund)
- 10+ Lakh Tax bracket.
I would strongly recommend understanding the different types of debt funds and the associated risks. (If you are already familiar - ignore my post ).
As has been pointed out, there is no taxation advantage over FD for periods lower than 3 years.

One approach would be to calculate the total interest on FD depending on the amount you want to invest and the interest from a debt fund which would give a 1% or 2% higher interest rate .

See the difference between the two and balance it with peace of mind
Old 4th March 2023, 13:38   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
While the indexation benefit is not applicable, there may be a difference between the two options due to the fact that FD interest accrues and is paid quarterly whereas the capital gains on MF are only on redemption (so gets deferred to the next year).

So for large size of principal amounts, the impact could vary.
Old 5th March 2023, 07:44   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
While the indexation benefit is not applicable, there may be a difference between the two options due to the fact that FD interest accrues and is paid quarterly whereas the capital gains on MF are only on redemption (so gets deferred to the next year).
FDs also have an option where the interest accumulates & is paid only when the FD matures.

However, as per IT rules, I think you are still supposed to show accrued interest in your returns in your filing. I used to this earlier but stopped now because AIS which you can download from the IT site doesn't do this, so my CA advised that, I also should stop doing it because the AIS shows the whole interest at redemption for cumulative deposits & that may cause problems for me in filing in the future year when it actually does so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks