Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2020, 17:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Using your car as an office

Office & lunch
Recently my office has allowed travel on work.
In last two weeks, I had to go out for surveys to Sahar Cargo & twice to Panvel. Needless to say that my TUV was my office for these days. Didn't take any photos as had never imagined a thread about this on TBHP. :-)

On regular basis:
In first week of October, we were asked to attend office twice/thrice in a week but on pure voluntary basis. We could also choose the nearest local branch rather than our regular location.
The nearest branch of my office is also our back-office hence, even after 2-3 staggered lunch timings, the cafeteria would get crowded to allowed limit.
From day one, I shifted my lunch place to my TUV in parking. Got myself a serving tray from home, wet wipes/tissues & water bottle.
All in all I have used TUV to its max, including catching a 20 minute nap, post lunch which we definitely cannot do in office.

There is nice tea shop on podium parking where I park my car, so after watching for few days, I have started taking tea from shop but directly from kettle to my own mug and then go back to office, post lunch & nap.

Raab rakha,
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Oh, i work - rather take calls many times from a car parked at home. Like today I had a call at 8.30 am, which coincided with my car cleaning routine. So i took it from the car, while i cleaned the interiors.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Using your car as an office-33c3d8cdfd5b4b98899cca46f2865e67.jpeg  

rrsteer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Using Hexa as an office seems pretty cool to imagine! Could you share links for the dashcam and the inverter model that you are using?
I presume you have to keep the engine running while using it?
I use the same inverter that is linked in the opening post. It is the most reliable one you can find. Though it will cut off if you try to use anything other than laptops like an induction stove or pressure washer. I generally keep the engine on while using it.

The dashcam was purchased from aliexpress. The brand was phisung. Sadly this option is not there anymore. Both aliexpress and bangood does not ship to India now.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd December 2020 at 12:07.
padmrajravi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:27   #19
BHPian

The Safari has been my 1 BHK house (by Bangalore standards) on the road, when the pandemic started off, and I was caught in between quarantine periods. I lived, worked and slept in it.
jeeva is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:41   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
The Safari has been my 1 BHK house (by Bangalore standards) on the road, when the pandemic started off, and I was caught in between quarantine periods. I lived, worked and slept in it.
Wow, that must have been quite an experience! Please do elaborate, or even start a new thread, will be fascinating reading.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 18:08   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The best part of working from the car is somehow with the closed shell around you, somehow your brain goes into overdrive and is super productive. I however cannot spend too long in there.. But, whatever the time spent, is super productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I have been using iPad with Cellular, much more convenient, much more easier. With the beautiful battery life, never bothered with chargers as well. Just find a nice quite place, connect the bluetooth headset, and get disconnected from world.

Planning to get the smart keyboard soon, and I don't think I will ever need a laptop after that.
Can you please let me know how you manage files with the ipad?
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 18:15   #22
BHPian

When the lockdown had just been lifted, my dad used to go to office once a week and we obviously didn't allow him to take public transport. He never drives to office because parking in central Calcutta is an absolute nightmare. On the other hand, I had my online classes from 9am to 4pm. Therefore, I used to log into my class from my laptop, connect it to the HU and drive him to office while listening to my lecture on the car's speakers. After dropping him off, I would park somewhere far away and idle the car for 5-6 hours and attend my classes.

In fact, I have enjoyed my last few road trips (during the pandemic) while attending my online classes too. I'd start driving early morning, and just before class started I'd park by the side of the highway, log into class, give my attendance and plug in my laptop into the car's speakers. The next couple of hours would be spent listening to my professors discussing various interesting topics while I enjoyed my highway drive
boniver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 18:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
...suggestions to enable emploeeys to work safely from office. I proposed extending wifi to the office parking lot so that employees can drive down, park, connect to wifi and work.
If an employee can drive down till office parking, will it make sense to work from the parking area rather than working from the office space itself?
(Assuming a less % of total staff will be attending office on any day during these times).

Pardon me if I did not understand the actual reasoning/rationale behind the suggestion.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Maybe in an emergency that would be a good idea. But regularly, not for me. I get a little irritated when my car is idling without moving. I can do that for a minute when I start my car. Maybe it's a good idea in an emergency, knowing that your car can double up as an office.
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
If an employee can drive down till office parking, will it make sense to work from the parking area rather than working from the office space itself?
(Assuming a less % of total staff will be attending office on any day during these times).
Pardon me if I did not understand the actual reasoning/rationale behind the suggestion.
Closed, airconditioned office space is riskier to the employee than him spending 2 hours in the car in the parking lot.

On the odd day I go to office, I have to go through all the usual security procedures plus the covid specific rituals (temperature gun and smearing oneself with sanitizer) before you can enter the building. All these require close contact with other people.
Old 2nd December 2020, 20:33   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ever used your car as an office? Well, that's exactly what I am doing right now.
I have done it many times over the years due to the nature of my work, thanks to good connectivity and VPN, not more than an hour or two at a stretch. But I had never given it a thought before I saw this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Got to love cars. Make money from them. Spend money on them
Loved this line!
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 00:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
just before class started I'd park by the side of the highway, log into class, give my attendance and plug in my laptop into the car's speakers. The next couple of hours would be spent listening to my professors discussing various interesting topics while I enjoyed my highway drive
Sorry to be rude, but looks like you are just logging in for the sake of it and not for studying. Don't you take notes or look at the screen if your teacher is sharing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Closed, airconditioned office space is riskier to the employee than him spending 2 hours in the car in the parking lot.

On the odd day I go to office, I have to go through all the usual security procedures plus the covid specific rituals (temperature gun and smearing oneself with sanitizer) before you can enter the building. All these require close contact with other people.
If an employee is sitting in the car, he might as well sit at home. What is the point of driving all the way to the office parking lot? Just to mark attendance?
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:07   #28
BHPian

Not exactly working from a car. But recently while driving back from Jog falls to Bangalore, my daughter attended her classes in the car while I was driving. It is amazing how the 4G hotspot held up without a single drop for three straight hours in a moving car.

I could not help but think about the "trunk calls" of my childhood where we had to wait a day just to call a different city and there I was sitting in a moving car and connected to internet with my daughter attending video classes.
raghukodali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:31   #29
BHPian

Have worked for about 4 odd days from my car since covid started. Mine is the only car in family and since they don't feel safe going in others cars, usually I end up driving them to hospitals and such. While they wait for the doctor, I work from the car.

It's usually less than 3 hours at a time, so power backup was never an issue. But once I got real close to being out of juice and decided to buy the Belkin AC adapter. Never had to use it since though, and don't think will be using it soon, but it definitely gives me a peace of mind.
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Not really recommend for extended hours. Engines , brakes, and transmissions deserve some moving air to keep things cool.

Cars aren't lounges - an hour of work occasionally won't hurt much, but many hours of idling can cause excessive long term wear.

Also, the ecological impact of idling is too high.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd December 2020 at 10:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks