Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2007, 15:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
How do you know there was any efforts of having it ?

" "We had arranged for five people to sing the anthem. But then we cancelled it as we have foreigners onboard here. They should not be embarrassed while we sing the anthem," said Infosys chief mentor Narayana Murthy

While I agree that one doesnt need to sing the national anthem everyday, a special function that involves the President of India visiting surely 'justifies' the singing of the National Anthem. It wouldnt have been such an issue if the National Anthem was never meant to be sung, the issue here is that it was cancelled just because some foreign staff/clients would feel uncomfortable. IMO Infosys makes India proud and Infosys should be proud of India. Also this becomes a bigger issue since Narayna Murthy is being considered to become the next President of India.

Last edited by khanak : 10th April 2007 at 15:34.
Old 10th April 2007, 15:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
It does. As per the protocol , All functions graced by the President of India , have to begin and end with the national anthem.
If this is true, then i am sorry that yet another famous indian has sacrileged his country (sachin being the other one).
Old 10th April 2007, 15:53   #18
Team-BHP Support

This is a question faced by all big companies when they become MNC and have sizeable foreign staff in various countries. The company allegiance lies with which country? Should IBM-India be more loyal to India or US?

All major corporates face this question, but they usually take the decision that profits the company most. There is no reason why Infosys would do it different. If it is more profitable to appease the foreign staff, that's what they will do. However, I don't think Infy counted on this news getting out, they are usually very paranoid about their public image, and this doesn't help.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th April 2007 at 15:55.
Old 10th April 2007, 16:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a question faced by all big companies when they become MNC and have sizeable foreign staff in various countries. The company allegiance lies with which country? Should IBM-India be more loyal to India or US?

All major corporates face this question, but they usually take the decision that profits the company most. There is no reason why Infosys would do it different. If it is more profitable to appease the foreign staff, that's what they will do. However, I don't think Infy counted on this news getting out, they are usually very paranoid about their public image, and this doesn't help.
Well in the case of IBM why cant they embrace both US and Indian cultures in India. All companies have to think Internationally these days and instead of surpressing ones culture one should display it proudly. Not just Indian culture but also foreign culture. While it is important to please foreign clients it is also important to keep your workforce happy. I went to an Internation school and we regularly had events which proudly displayed not just Indian culture but also the culture of the foreign students studying in the school. One company IMO that really handles this situation well is HSBC. I love their "never underestimate local knowledge' ads.

Old 10th April 2007, 16:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Man, hope it doesn't become a big issue. Yesterday, he antagonized kannada organisations when he said the protests for the cauvery issue were useless (what he should have said is that protests should not target common man through various bandhs etc., but not that there should not be protests at all)
He doesn't seem to pick the words right and looks more and more like he thinks only about his business and nothing else. Be a little human Mr Murthy
Old 10th April 2007, 16:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Man, hope it doesn't become a big issue. Yesterday, he antagonized kannada organisations when he said the protests for the cauvery issue were useless (what he should have said is that protests should not target common man through various bandhs etc., but not that there should not be protests at all)
He doesn't seem to pick the words right and looks more and more like he thinks only about his business and nothing else. Be a little human Mr Murthy
Human? His company gives employment to so many people, and his wife is involved in so many charity's. In my opinion things like Saluting flags, singing anthems, loudly proclaiming patriotism is mostly done by politicians who actually don't do anything productive, and mostly fool people with these measures.

As long as he bring Forex to the country, gives employment to people, adds to the GDP, it does not matter if he sings star spangled banner or the National anthem.
Old 10th April 2007, 16:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
it does not matter if he sings star spangled banner or the National anthem.
its not that simple... it does matter
You cannot neglect National Anthem in such a manner specially when so many young people look up to you, consider you idol ( leave the GDP, forex n all though they are imp too). You always lead by example. Please don't change your ways Mr. Murthy.

Last edited by navdeep : 10th April 2007 at 16:53.
Old 10th April 2007, 16:57   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
its not that simple... it does matter
You cannot neglect National Anthem in such a manner specially when so many young people look up to you, consider you idol ( leave the GDP, forex n all though they are imp too). You always lead by example. Please don't change your ways Mr. Murthy.
My comment was regards to humanity.
Not having the national anthem sung does not make him less human, or a worse person. Always judge a book by its content, not the cover. What he did could be termed wrong , but that does not make him less humane.
Old 10th April 2007, 17:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
1. In my opinion things like Saluting flags, singing anthems, loudly proclaiming patriotism is mostly done by politicians who actually don't do anything productive, and mostly fool people with these measures.

2. As long as he bring Forex to the country, gives employment to people, adds to the GDP, it does not matter if he sings star spangled banner or the National anthem.
1. Sorry, IMO Making fun of my Country , its Flag and its anthem does not make me a neo liberal global citizen ...( who still have to carry the Indian pasport till they get an american one ) By stretching the same point someone else can say Mahatma Gandhi and Nehru and others fooled all Indians by saluting Flags and fighting against british.

2. Even Dawood and company used to bring forex by havala. give employment to people and add to GDP in the process. may be it is time to forgive him and invite him as a state guest for the republic day parade. It does matter what NRN sings, as long as he is carrying the Indian passport and invites president of India as chief guest.
Old 10th April 2007, 17:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
My comment was regards to humanity.
Not having the national anthem sung does not make him less human, or a worse person. Always judge a book by its content, not the cover. What he did could be termed wrong , but that does not make him less humane.
my comment was w.r.t this comment

Quote:
it does not matter if he sings star spangled banner or the National anthem.
Old 10th April 2007, 17:09   #26
Team-BHP Support

To each one his opinion... In my opinion, not singing the national anthem is not disrespecting it, same way as not putting up the national flag atop your home on national holidays.
The Issue is being blown out of proportion.
Insulting the National flag, or National anthem etc., are different things. There is a code of conduct which describes how to sing the Anthem, and how to hoist the flag, but nowhere does the code of conduct say "you have to sing it". Thats a personal choice. Its his company, nothing about being neo-liberal here.

Of course if NRN had refused to stand up while the national anthem was being sung, that would have been "insult".

Old 10th April 2007, 17:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
nowhere does the code of conduct say "you have to sing it".
checkout above posts, you will understand that there is a code of conduct you have to sing national anthem if President of India is present.
Old 10th April 2007, 17:16   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Even Dawood and company used to bring forex by havala. give employment to people and add to GDP in the process. may be it is time to forgive him and invite him as a state guest for the republic day parade. It does matter what NRN sings, as long as he is carrying the Indian passport and invites president of India as chief guest.
So you are implying that the software business is same as Havala and drug dealers. I know there was a joke floating on the internet about similarities between Drug dealers and Coders, but did not know you actually believed it
Old 10th April 2007, 17:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
1. There is a code of conduct which describes how to sing the Anthem, and how to hoist the flag, but nowhere does the code of conduct say "you have to sing it". Thats a personal choice.

2. Its his company, nothing about being neo-liberal here.
1. We are talking about the same code of conduct and protocol. When the President of India , is invited as a chief guest, the function should start and end with rendering of the national anthem ( The Indian one not the star spangled banner !! ) If NRN is embarassed by singing of Indian national anthem , he shouldnt have invited the President and then he could have sung Chumma Chumma or choli ke peeche kya hai .No probs. Not enabling the rendering of Indias National anthem ,as protocol demands, when President is invited is an insult.

2. It is His company true but Dr. Kalam is not an employee / trainee / PM of Infosys. The President of Indias protocols will not change for NRN , even if he is bringing in FDI by the bagful.
Old 10th April 2007, 17:25   #30
Team-BHP Support

Oic, now I get your point.
I could just find the "Flag code of India" on the MHA website, so was unaware of this requirement which you mentioned.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks