Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Will you eat lab grown meat vs the actual animal meat?
Yes 159 58.24%
No 114 41.76%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2020, 11:59   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Will you eat lab grown meat vs the actual animal meat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I

As far as I understand our natural order, every single species on this planet derives sustenance out of one or more other species. Whether or not the mechanism of getting that sustenance from the other species involves cruelty or not, is a very fragmented, culture-derived, environment-derived human definition, which Thankfully other species' don't bother themselves with.

So please choose to eat or not eat meat, whether natural or artificial, but let's stop preaching about animal cruelty.
The issue with animal cruelty is multi faceted.

- Like calves being separated from their mothers so that we can get their milk, curd, paneer through industrial processing.

- or minks being farmed on a colossal scale in a supposedly forward thinking country like Denmark for their fur

- or chickens being crushed alive in huge processing centers that are contracted by KFC/MCD

- or hectares of rainforests being cleared for cattle grazing so everyone can have their pound of cheap beef

- or rainforests being cleared for palm oil cultivation or soya

In every single case, the issue is not necessarily animal cruelty as green peace would have us believe. But the industrialization of such processing for a global burgeoning population. That is the key issue. Inuits today still hunt for their meals, living in the tundra, and that is perfectly normal, though probably far more gory to look at than how your burger gets made at the counter.

Maybe an asteroid hit will change things. Or another pandemic. The asteroid will be quicker.

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th December 2020 at 12:05.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 12:40   #77
BHPian

Vegetarian here, so the thought of killing an animal & consuming it is somewhat disgusting to me.

From the initial posts in this thread, it seems this lab-grown meat is also derived from an animal and later cultured (multiplied) in lab ad infinitum to produce similar cells and harm no more animal.

But the thought that the initial piece came from a living (dead) animal is enough to put me off

So, I will pass!
Old 10th December 2020, 14:38   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So how do you survive? All produce today is genetically modified. Some over centuries, and some over few years. Like potatoes wheat vegetables etc.,
Correct me if I am wrong, on paper in India I think very few crops such as Cotton are genetically modified. Anyhow, I am not intending to debate but just register my genuine fear that originates from examples such as Madcow disease, you cannot simply play with your food. IMO, as long as GM things fall into inedible category, I am not opposed. However, when it gets into edible category, I have reservations. I can take a risk to buy a newly launched vehicle from a totally new manufacturer because even if I am stuck with a lemon, I can still fix it. But I cannot do the same with my genes, it could affect the whole lineage.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 10th December 2020 at 14:53. Reason: Grammar
Old 10th December 2020, 15:10   #79
BHPian

Google Univ says that in India in 2019, the consumption of poultry meat alone was 3.9MT. So I doubts that at this stage this tech has the capability to produce that much amount of meat. Till that time, it's the good old days of wringing the neck of a live bird only.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd January 2021 at 05:17. Reason: Typos, spacing.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 14:27   #80
BHPian

Singapore restaurant introduces lab-grown chicken nugget, priced at 50 dollar per nugget.

DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 17:39   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Oh man, this is so good to read! I LOVED, devoured, cherished & relished the "impossible" burger at Burger King. It is easily one of the Top 5 meals I have had anywhere on the planet. Hope it comes to India soon
Dominos is offering "The Unthinkable Pizza" which I think is similar to the "Impossible" burger you mentioned. It is categorized as Veg in their Menu.
Old 4th January 2021, 18:22   #82
BHPian

The Indian brands like Good Dot have bad reviews on Amazon. It seems like they are selling products that don't cook that well. Has anyone tried them?

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th January 2021 at 18:48. Reason: typo
Old 4th January 2021, 22:51   #83
Team-BHP Support

The more I think about it, the more confused I feel.

Why are these guys wasting time and energy trying to replicate the taste and texture of meat.

If they make vegetables taste better, won't people automatically gravitate towards them?

I am an omnivore. I love eating animals and plants. My personal favorite is when they are both combined in the same dish.

But I have no issues eating just vegetables as well. Just that given a choice I would prefer some animal parts in it. It significantly like a (million times million times) improves the taste, aroma and just about everything.

If they are able to make plain vegetables achieve that, a lot of people would not miss meat.

Last edited by bblost : 4th January 2021 at 22:52.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 14:56   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Why are these guys wasting time and energy trying to replicate the taste and texture of meat.

If they make vegetables taste better, won't people automatically gravitate towards them?
To answer your question: Textured soy protein (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textur...etable_protein). But it doesn't exactly replicate the taste and feel of meat.

To be frank, when we talk about taste of meat - there is no single meat: there is a wide variety like fish (different versions), fowl, cattle, sheep, goat, etc. Each one has its own taste, texture, smell. You cannot capture all that today. And then we are not just talking about meat part, there are bones, gelatin, marrow, shell - all contributes something or the other to the overall look and feel.

BTW the Mc Donald Burgers and similar offerings from others like Burger King, plus most non-veg offerings from Subway, Dominos, Pizza Hut etc kind of MNC chains utilize TSP to a very large extent (more than 50%). Perhaps you couldn't make that out.

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th January 2021 at 15:00.
Old 5th January 2021, 15:01   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To answer your question:

This is not my question.

My question is why not make vegetables tastier and more desirable.
Old 5th January 2021, 17:58   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not my question.

Which begs the question : are vegetables less tasty than meats?
Old 5th January 2021, 19:36   #87
BHPian

Quote:
This is not my question.

I'll take a shot at this using an analogy of petrol vs diesel cars. Bear with me.

It isn't about making veggies more desirable. Some people like veggies more (say petrol), some like non-veg more (say diesel) and some appreciate any well prepared meal (love driving irrespective of petrol or diesel).

This crusade or rather drive (pun intended) to attain non-veg taste (diesel torque, power & grunt) using veggies (less engine noise, low maintenance) is so that you have less harmful fats (less emission) in your food and the carbon footprint of non-veg food is reduced.
Of course, some might argue lessening of animal cruelty is a by-product. And if by replicating this non-veg taste you can covert few veggies (petrol drivers) to non-veg side (diesel drivers), you instantly increase your potential customers.

This decade is all about being environment and climate friendly/ balanced. Be it food, vehicles or lifestyle.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 5th January 2021 at 19:37.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 19:51   #88
BHPian

I think there should really be any debate on whether meat tastes better than veggies. It does.

It is possible that some people feels otherwise, but I am sure they would be in the minority, and most among them hadn't tasted any meat or restricted themselves to one or two servings of chicken.

Veggies tastier than beef and pork? No way!
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 20:13   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
This crusade or rather drive (pun intended) to attain non-veg taste (diesel torque, power & grunt) using veggies (less engine noise, low maintenance) is so that you have less harmful fats (less emission) in your food and the carbon footprint of non-veg food is reduced.
I love your example.

Quote:
And if by replicating this non-veg taste you can covert few veggies (petrol drivers) to non-veg side (diesel drivers), you instantly increase your potential customers.
End of the day its all economics and money. I have no idea if this factory made meat will be good for the environment or not.

I think the best example to use science actually comes from Netherlands. One of the smallest countries in the world but with a huge export of vegetables.

Adopting those practices will hugely benefit the world.

All the land saved by growing vegetables and fruits can be used for grow more animals for meat.
No one is gonna complain about vegetables growing in cramped spaced.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 20:37   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I'll take a shot at this using an analogy of petrol vs diesel cars. Bear with me.
Hope this helps.
How is fat harmful? Animal fats, that includes diary are the best source of nutrition and absolutely essential. Animal cruelty argument is just posturing for the privileged, the diary chain life cycle is built on the eventual slaughter of the animal.

The carbon footprint of lab grown meat will be a disaster, but the virtue signalling opportunity will be limitless. This product is proof that meat tastes better, if vegetables were so tasty why try to replicate the taste of meat for vegetarians?

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd January 2021 at 05:17. Reason: Quote trimmed.

Most Viewed