Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you eat lab grown meat vs the actual animal meat?
Yes 159 58.24%
No 114 41.76%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 21:18   #46
BHPian

Re: Will you eat lab grown meat vs the actual animal meat?

Voted NO

Be it GM crops or cultured meat, or synthetic food additives and colors, it would take ages for me to convince myself that they are safe to consume.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Another promising lab grown product is from a Israeli startup called "Remilk" who claim their product will have no lactose, no cholesterol, no growth hormones and no antibodies.

SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:31   #48
BHPian

I am Non-Vegetarian converted to Vegetarian about 25 years back.
I used to enjoy nonveg dishes but used get guilty conscious after every treat involving nonveg food. Finally, I left nonveg for good.

It has been found all over the word that people start consuming more and more non vegetarian food as they become prosperous. Just imagine what would happen to the world when living standards of countries like India become better. I and my son (aged 12 years and a vegetarian) always discuss that artificial meat is the most needed innovation for the world to survive without much bruises.

As regards to me, I would not mind eating nonveg dish if prepared from artificial meat.
n_ramesh99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:59   #49
BHPian

The lockdown has changed a lot of my habits. I haven't had a drink in 9 months, had non-veg exactly 3 times since first lockdown. I might become vegetarian completely now.

To be honest the broiler chicken we have been eating is no good for health either. Overdose of anti-biotics, stuffed into small spaces, carless handling and of course using the cheapest chicken in restaurants.

Unless one has been consuming country chicken, one is doing damage even today. So trying lab grown meat may not be very bad after all
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:01   #50
BHPian

Well for someone like me who became an eggetarian from the last 6 months and eating eggs mainly for the sake of required protein for the daily intake.

Yes, I would love to try these if the macros are the same as the animal meat plus acceptable taste and being gulit free.
Stranger17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:05   #51
BHPian

This is indeed an excellent mid to long-term solution.

However, in the short-term, an easier way to reduce our ecological footprint would be by increasing the consumption of farmed fishes (called aquaculture) since they need nowhere near the levels of resources as bovines (though somewhat similar to poultry). I am an aquaculturist and I must say this is not perfect either since we use wild-caught fishes to make feed for farmed fishes. This is another sector to keep your eye on.

Lab-grown if implemented correctly could be game-changer though given the scale of the change, there is bound to be a conservative backlash and religious concerns (for eg. does it meet halal and/or kosher requirements?).

Other (less-popular) forms of novel food products exist as well including something called single-celled proteins which are autotrophic (i.e more like plants) and take less land and water.

In the end of the day, the limitation is not science but society itself. Even the Europeans are pretty conservative when it comes to adopting novel forms of food (less so the Americans). This is a space to watch.
dragracer567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:38   #52
BHPian

I don't know why meat production is singled out for its negative environment impact. NONE of the things humans normally do are any good for the environment - farming involves clearing vast tracts of land (cutting trees, destroying animal habitats etc), usage of chemical fertilizers isn't doing the environment any good either during production or application, building infrastructure (factories, buildings, bridges, houses, public transport stations etc) flattens local ecosystems. Progress is inexonerably linked to negative environment impact, the key is finding "sustainability".
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:24   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

(Hoping this thread will not become a carnivore-diet vs. herbivore-diet thing...or one for vegan virtue signalling! )

Assuming the question was for people who consume meat and if they are willing to switch- as one I'd say sure certainly if and when it becomes available commercially and easily in India.

The meat I consume right now doesn't seem to be very natural anyway, pumped full of chemicals. I'm not too picky about taste anyway, so won't care if it really doesn't 'taste like the real thing' (I probably won't even realize!) And if it arrives on my plate without animals being housed and used on an industrial scale, that's certainly a great bonus.

Are there any places where it's available already in India? Would like to give it a try.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:43   #54
BHPian

For now, I will give this a miss. Though I am a selective meat eater(chicken, fish, prawn & eggs only) and only on some days of the week + some month of the year, I am unwilling to try anything whose long term implications are unknown (The Covid vaccine is a different story).

If I do end up deciding to consume, then I will look up the scientific evidence, reviews from existing consumers and take an informed jump, Not because its touted to be a new magical solution where you can have your cake and eat it too.. (In this case, its meat ).
charanreddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:48   #55
BHPian

With the amount of artificial feed that is given to the animals these days, I think there won't be a lot of difference in lab grown meat and the meat which we are consuming right now. I am definitely willing to trying it out if there are no long term health hazards. And with the amount of seasoning we add to the meats in Indian cuisine, the taste factor doesn't really matter.
adi.mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:54   #56
BHPian

Add long it tastes same, I am ok. What will be missing is the taste of the blood...
Old 9th December 2020, 13:13   #57
BHPian

I would love to!

But I do have some serious concerns about the safety aspect of consuming lab-meat.

While studies are being published about the process, the taste and texture of these cultured meats, the potential side effects at a DNA level aren't really out for public use.

As it stands now, the prices for a kilo of Farm/Broiler Chicken is less than half that of Naati/Country chicken. The taste aspect aside, many people are concerned about consuming Broiler Chickens - with their sketchy feed, hormone injections, and possible genetic modifications.

If safety issues are resolved, this would be a great way to source meet, without any ethical/environmental issues..
Old 9th December 2020, 13:52   #58
BHPian

Yes or No I don't know because there is no clarity regarding the health 'benefits' of cultured/lab meat as of now.

But YES I will definitely give a try once it is available, I am a big meat guy.

But I guess all these are just boneless or ground meat right ? I would say that the real taste of meat comes when its cooked and consumed with bone. Irreplaceable.
Old 9th December 2020, 13:57   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Voted NO

Be it GM crops or cultured meat, or synthetic food additives and colors, it would take ages for me to convince myself that they are safe to consume.
So how do you survive? All produce today is genetically modified. Some over centuries, and some over few years. Like potatoes wheat vegetables etc.,

Last edited by tsk1979 : 9th December 2020 at 13:58.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 14:40   #60
BHPian

Surprisingly (coincidence may be) getting non veg ads on non veg thread
Attached Thumbnails
Will you eat lab grown meat vs the actual animal meat?-screenshot_20201209143448.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks