Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2020, 16:08   #31
BHPian

re: Here are some TBHP'ian quirks, our secret code if you will

TBHP has rubbed off on me in many ways:
  1. Having more microfiber towels of varying "GSM" compared to my bath towels - check
  2. Paying more attention while buying CAR Shampoo than the one used for my head - check
  3. A Dream of visiting Ladakh - Check (check that twice!)
  4. Not worrying about low water pressure in bathroom, but ensuring I buy a high quality pressure washer and foam lance for a touch-free cleaning - Check!
  5. Making a "YIKES!" face when someone in the neighbourhood revs a cold engine like mad - Check!
  6. Synthetic Oil - Check
  7. Wondering if the engine became smooth after the Synthetic Oil, or whether it was a placebo effect and then poring over the "Synthetic v/s Mineral Oil" thread to make sure I've re-read every new post - Check!
  8. Weekends well spent with either Jopasu or ONR - Check
  9. ICE Upgrades - Check
  10. Michelin XM2s - Check
  11. OCD about filling up at that particular bunk and noting down the Odo reading and entering the data into the Fuelio App - Check
  12. That look on the SA's face when I ask him to remove all the inclusions like "engine decarbonizing saar" - check
  13. Having avoided falling into scams like "saar..clutch praablem needs to be replaced" - check
  14. Getting a Dashcam - check
  15. Roadtrip followed by a TL - Check
  16. Mobile phone filled with pictures of the car after a detailing session - Check
  17. Impact on the wallet due to the above checks (to be read as CHEQUES) - Check!

The list is a LOT longer but I'll stop here before my wife looks over and sighs, after looking at the TBHP page open...

Last edited by vsathyap : 11th December 2020 at 16:08. Reason: Typo
vsathyap is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 16:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
[b]

The list is a LOT longer but I'll stop here before my wife looks over and sighs, after looking at the TBHP page open...
CHECKED that.

My wife was confused initially when I go to my room even late nights and start reading any thread, to my office work, So I used to maintain that.

Now she is even more confused, as in WFH I keep a thread open in browser during breaks in work.

Am unworried as long as she doesn't find out.
Old 11th December 2020, 16:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great post @Stribog. Forget about car getting dirty, we get angry even if the Jopasu duster gets dirty and there are 7389 posts explaining the ways to clean and maintain it
guyfrmblr is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 20:11   #34
BHPian

Can relate myself to many of the posts here. These are some quirky things I did after I got my registration confirmed in T-BHP. My Home Minister still wonders why I didn't do it before.

1. I bought the TBHP stickers and pasted it only after I got my TBHP registration approved.
2. Switched on to Microfiber cloth from some random cloth
3. Got myself a set of shampoo, polishing & rubbing compounds.
4. Washing takes 2 hrs and above. Earlier it was just 15 minutes.

Additionally, there is a fantastic thread in our forum and do go through it
"You know you are addicted to Team-BHP when .. (You know you are addicted to Team-BHP when ...)."

Last edited by saisree : 11th December 2020 at 20:13.
Old 11th December 2020, 21:34   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

If you show atleast half of these traits, you are most probably a member who lives by the bhp-ian "code"
Attached Images

venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 21:37   #36
BHPian

I still remember it was in 2012 that I first found Team Bhp. I was 14 years old back then. I was searching for Alto 800 review and was amazed by the amount of detail that was covered in the official review. From then onwards, I was finally able to become a member of this forum after 5-6 failed attempts and when this happened I was going all crazy and calling everyone to tell that finally I was a Team Bhp member. It felt like as if I had cleared IAS.

Back when we bought our car in 2015, I had ordered Jopasu car duster and Formula 1 wax with all the money that I had saved(the money given by relatives). And when I went to college all my pocket money would go in buying car care items. Dashboard dresser, Microfiber cloths, 3M shampoo, clay bar, perfumes, etc.

When i got my first salary in 2020, it was all used to buy Engine Oils for my scooter and dad's bike, more detailing equipments, new parts that should have been replaced and what not.

As of today, whenever my Dad see's me working on his bike or scooter or the car, he simply gets mad at me, saying, "Go be a mechanic, why did i spent so much for your studies if you had to only do this"
After that all I do is packup my tools and straight away go to wash basin to wash my greasy hands.

In the morning the first thing I check is Team-Bhp.

Whenever I am out and getting bored, Team Bhp comes to rescue.

During my training sessions, I keep reading Team Bhp.

All my cousins and friends call me up before buying a car or any other car related accessories/parts.
abhi9044 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 21:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
Now I have switched to a professional car cleaning service who clean the car every morning (except Sundays) but use 3 different microfibre cloths (body, glass and tyre), use proper shampoo every alternate day and do interior cleaning every alternate day. They charge 700/- per month but I am happy with the service. Some other society members have also switched to them after looking at my car cleaning.
Hey which service is this? Do they have a site/ number I can reach out to? Already salivating at the prospect of pampering my car and bike even further
GreyNomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 22:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
I don't pay a lot of attention to detailing the exterior of the cars Twice a month wash is good enough for me. My quirk is towards mechanicals of the car/bike. Any sound, thud/rattle etc, needs to be resolved asap. I stop right in the middle of a drive to locate and resolve any such issues. ASS and FNG mechanics often find me right on top of their heads while working on my car. I also need to know what changes, if any, they make to the setup of the car.
My man! I was wondering if I'm alone in this, thanks for sharing...I too am one who knocks on the doors of mechanics all the time. They know that I won't let go until the problem is sorted. And I also end up giving them the possible diagnoses along with the fixes, parts etc.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 22:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

My story of last weekend:

I had come back from a coastal drive on Thanksgiving weekend and my car was all dirty with my 2.7 yr old kid's puke, his toys and food all over. I was itching to clean it ever since but work and home kept me busy all week. So, woke up early on Saturday, kept my phone on silent mode and told my wife that I am 'just going out' and walked out of the house in hurry which dad noticed. Went to that shop called Mr. DIY for the first time, got an orgasm of some sort, messaged my wife that "I'll be a bit late, handle the kids (read: Mom, dad and my kid) for today", got everything needed and headed straight to the car wash center. He cleaned the exteriors and then took the car straight to my parking, where I spent the next three hours sanitizing and polishing her, inside out.

Meanwhile my dad tried calling me but I did not respond (our parking has no coverage), he asked my wife where I am and she replied casually that I have 'gone somewhere', to which he got angry at her that your husband darted out of the house in a hurry, his phone is out of coverage for the last 3 hours and you are cool about it. Did you guys get into a fight or something, any marital tension that we need to sort out ?? When things started to heat up, she faked concern and asked him to go downstairs and check if my car is around. And there I was, all sweaty, hungry, dehydrated but experiencing bliss looking at how the blacks were so deep and the whites were so bright !

My wife knew all the time what I was going to do ! That's the magic of Team-bhp

P.S. Dad has stolen my Jopasu duster and is particularly mum about it.

Last edited by NiInJa : 11th December 2020 at 22:10.
NiInJa is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 22:24   #40
BHPian

Joke's on you, I'm not married yet But that being said, I have no vehicles of my own either....it sucks to be a student sometimes... though thanks to our forum, I got a few upgrades done to the car by convincing Dad.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 23:44   #41
BHPian

We never run out of topics to talk, specially when we are walking on a road. We always notice the car/ bike things.
I usually pick a car topic when I talk to my brother in law, or my father in law. I don't know how bored they are. I even hadn't spared my granny, and she too had started liking F1.
After the lock down, my wife and me go for a walk everyday, and I usually talk about some car, or some bike at least 50 times. My wife made me mindful of the fact that I cannot stop talking about automobiles, which makes me concious for a few minutes. And then there will be some car around the block with with some undersized tyres, or a bike with noisy exhaust that wakes my inner self, and then I am caught again
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 23:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

After TBHP, I've started appreciating vintage cars. Vintage cars are an emotion.
Old 12th December 2020, 01:10   #43
Sen
BHPian

Very relatable thread.

The first thing I did before I even had my own car was get the Jopasu set and marvel at its dust-removal qualities.

First accessory for the interiors? A dust bin.

Dashcam? On the bucketlist.

First tire change? Within 50 kilometers of getting the car. The look of incredulity on my SO's face!

Double-checking parking spots for potential threats to my car, cleaning any and all bug splatters and bird poop on the spot as detected, fussing about the turbo idling rule on my brand new car, checking TPMS, before, in-between and after a drive to ensure normalcy, rejecting "saaaar best coating teflan" during delivery and going straight to a decent detailer, then cursing that 3M's become so mass market it sucks and them coating the interior touchpoints with some slippery crap that made me grimace at least 5 times a minute, agonizing about having to park it outside on a rainy, dusty sunny day for a few days and playing spot the rattle inside the cabin, dusting it down after every. single. drive, turning down the music to hear the engine, buying a driver's car instead of a feature loaded boat on wheels, I think the last few months I've spent lurking/posting on team BHP has really made me resonate with this community.

The other day I was out, my car fresh out of my garage and clean, the LTD sticker on the bumper and the prospects of the hundreds of kilometers I'd be doing at my favorite pace (efficiency be damned) pleasing my mind's eye, and having my first encounter with another BHPian on the open highway 3 hours in, and enjoying the fun drive working my MT and thanking the heavens I hadn't even considered the AT for even a second.

Going to the service center thrice in a 72 hour span after delivery with a car just to absolutely ensure the niggle spotted was ironed out to a few microns thick, fussing and refussing over it until the issue itself decided enough was enough and staged a walkout.

The look of incredulity on the receptionist's and SA's faces when I said I'd stay with the car from start to finish with no exceptions (took 6 hours instead of the promised 2.5 lol), and to change the damn oil instead of just inspecting it after the first 1000 kms were painstaking done variating RPMs the entire time including on the highway, priceless.

I think it's fair to say, I'm here to stay.

Live to drive.

Last edited by Sen : 12th December 2020 at 01:16.
Sen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 01:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
Hey which service is this? Do they have a site/ number I can reach out to? Already salivating at the prospect of pampering my car and bike even further
Grey Nomad,

This is unbelievable!! Please share their contact details if you don't mind. My guy is doing a rubbish job for 600. I am quite willing to pay 100 more for a proper job.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 01:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
My man! I was wondering if I'm alone in this, thanks for sharing...I too am one who knocks on the doors of mechanics all the time. They know that I won't let go until the problem is sorted. And I also end up giving them the possible diagnoses along with the fixes, parts etc.

The look on their faces when we try to explain that the noise is "Ghrrrr" and not "Trrrr".
88_TANK_88 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed