Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2007, 00:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

This shootout hurts me a lot from a business standpoint. I send a proposal to Virginia Tech to sign up for my company's service. This has put my deal in Jeopardy. From what I see on the US Media and talking to colleagues in my office, they feel that gun abuse has to stop.

You can buy a .9 of your choice here in the US.
Old 18th April 2007, 07:55   #17
BHPian

does one have to be a permanent resident of usa to buy a gun?
or can the work permit, study permit, visitors etc buy one too?
Old 18th April 2007, 08:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
an indian professor loganathan, also died in this attack according to this news. sick guys, dont have better things to do, live under the illusion they are forward communities, so much so that they are so forward that they do crap things like this.

i personally decided never to settle down anywhere other than in my own india, and i m sticking by that till now!
it can happen anywhere man....even in india. Truly a tragic event, two indians were killed :(
Old 18th April 2007, 08:56   #19
BHPian

u have to be a permanent resident or citizen with no felonies on your record. You guys have to understand the gun culture in the us..its is a constitutional right (the second amendment) to have a gun in your home or on your person. Its rooted in history, the founding fathers decided on that amendment so that they could protect the citizens against a tyrannical government...just in case the US goverment became like King George's. The people could form a milita, overthrow the government, restore democracy, etc.
Old 18th April 2007, 09:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
it can happen anywhere man....even in india.
That delhi IIT prof killed in bangalore...
And Prof Sabharwal getting killed in ujjain...
Old 18th April 2007, 09:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
You guys have to understand the gun culture in the us..its is a constitutional right (the second amendment) to have a gun in your home or on your person. Its rooted in history, the founding fathers decided on that amendment so that they could protect the citizens against a tyrannical government...just in case the US goverment became like King George's. The people could form a milita, overthrow the government, restore democracy, etc.
But in current context they really dont need this. Its a country where the police will be at your door steps with 5 mins of dailing 911.
Also i guess the gun manufacturers lobby which is preventing this constitutional right from being removed...
Old 18th April 2007, 09:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
But in current context they really dont need this. Its a country where the police will be at your door steps with 5 mins of dailing 911.
Also i guess the gun manufacturers lobby which is preventing this constitutional right from being removed...
true, true..but people in america will fight to protect their constitutional rights tooth and nail..so its not going away anytime soon. People say its not because of the guns, but these days, i dont really know man.
Old 18th April 2007, 09:21   #23
BHPian

My Heartful condolence to those killed in this senseless killing.
As much as we may debate on the Gun Control matter in this forum, I really do not think the US Govt will change its stance on Gun Control. They have not done so in the past, with similar tragedies having occured. And that is really sad. Was reading up on Gun Laws across the world. UK and Australia who has implemented very strict Gun Laws have realtively less gun-related killing as compared to US. Logic dictates more easy access to guns=more guns in people's hands=greater chance of gun related voilence.
Old 18th April 2007, 11:09   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
i personally decided never to settle down anywhere other than in my own india, and i m sticking by that till now!
Welcome to the land of the self-proclaimed moral police, where the rich are always guilty, and one has no control over what happens around him.

India is not safe either....
Old 18th April 2007, 12:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
does one have to be a permanent resident of usa to buy a gun?
or can the work permit, study permit, visitors etc buy one too?
Are you planning on gettin one ?

Sad to know that a poor indian prof lost his life in this melee. he is from a very simple background in rural TN.
Old 18th April 2007, 13:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sad & concerned to hear what happened. Thing is my younger brother currently studies in the US & when my mother saw this news she got a little anxious (even though he's in RI but still) and I guess it's the same with a lot of parents here whose kids are studying in the US. It doesn't help that these things are happening quite regularly now.

As for the Gun control don't forget that Arms companies & NRA are a huge lobby in the US with a lot of money. So don't expect any tough laws to be passed atleast under the current President.
Old 18th April 2007, 13:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sad to know that a poor indian prof lost his life in this melee. he is from a very simple background in rural TN.
And Minal Panchal too no? Sad...
Old 18th April 2007, 13:41   #28
Team-BHP Support

Guns don't kill people, people do.
Ban all guns and a dedicated psychotic can take a car and run through a crowd of people killing them.
Ban all guns, ban internet, ban this ban that are knee jerk reactions from politicians who want to get mileage.
Old 18th April 2007, 14:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ban all guns and a dedicated psychotic can take a car and run through a crowd of people killing them.
Ban all guns, ban internet, ban this ban that are knee jerk reactions from politicians who want to get mileage.
completely agree what if the school allowed concealed weapons maybe the death toll would have been much lesser

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 18th April 2007 at 14:06.
Old 18th April 2007, 14:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Akon - Blown Away

BTW my sis is going to US for higher studies in BioInformatics and she was about to send her application in May to VirginaTech. Now she is not even filling their prospectus. Though it was the last university in her list.

Though this can happen anywhere in the world. Alot of people do get MAD nowdays due to the situations prevailing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks