Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 18:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Speed Governors in all Indian Vehicles?

I had a serious doubt while discussing automobiles with my friends a couple of days back. The speed limit on Mumbai-Pune Express Way is 80 kmph. This probably is the highest legally accepted speed in India. If that is so, why not fit all vehicles sold in India with an electronic speed governor which will not be allow the vehicles to be driven faster than 80 kmph? If they increase the speed limit later on, the dealers should be able to make this change to the speed governors using some computer code (they should be tamper proof).

A better thought was to incorporate a speed governor that will read the speed limit on a particular road and then apply that limit to all the vehicles that enter that road. This can easily be done (similar systems already are in use in the US for toll tax collections). Why is that no country has thought of implementing this? If this is done there would be no issue of over-speeding.

I am ready to be run over by several team BHPians
Old 17th April 2007, 21:26   #2
BHPian

I think the baroda expressway has a speed limit of 100 Kmph.
Anyways I think instead of regulating speed , it is better to regulate how people drive on such highways.
Just my opnion.
Old 17th April 2007, 21:29   #3
BHPian

What will be the use of that?
Accident is not just caused of speed.
However, I fully support fitting such device in autos, buses and lorries.
Old 17th April 2007, 21:37   #4
BHPian

not in all vehicles but vehicles with yellow license plates only.
besides im sure someone will come up with a way to disable it soon even if they implement it.
Old 17th April 2007, 21:58   #5
BANNED

What a horrendous thought!!

But it's a good idea to install the governor in all the yellow boards. Won't be of much use though because if it can be retrofitted it can be disabled.
Old 17th April 2007, 22:08   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
not in all vehicles but vehicles with yellow license plates only.
And definitely not in vintage/classic cars please!
Its bad enough that they've been included under certain recent rules......like the change in colour of number-plates! Not to mention the seat-belt rule for all cars in AP....could you imagine a 'baby' austin or a Morris Minor fitted w/ those...?!

Last edited by Stanher : 17th April 2007 at 22:10.
Old 18th April 2007, 00:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

simple eh? They tried this with truckers in Kerala..it failed miserably! And I heard it costs just 15k for each contraption. I have seen soem call centre cabs with Pricol speed limiter set at 60kmph
Old 18th April 2007, 00:59   #8
BHPian

bad idea, if you say you love cars why limit them, it's a free country let us use what we paid for. who is to say what a good speed is. why not put a control to make idiots that go 30kmph on a empty stretch of the road move faster.
PJBIJU, we all have our opinions but i just pray to god i am never driving behind you on a single lane road. and government in US doesn't make your car go slower, the post a speed and you follow it or pay for with a speeding ticket.
Old 18th April 2007, 10:54   #9
BHPian

Its the not the speed that kills, it definitely thrills
Its the bad driving, poor judgement and arrogance on the road that causes accidents and deaths.

A good driver is like an artist who uses his car to express his creativity and skill and for any good artist... LIMITATION is a CRIME
Old 18th April 2007, 12:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

I myself would like to drive fast, whenever it is feasible. So Mclarenracer need not worry about driving behind me. I am not advocating this to be implemented. I was wondering why governments have not thought along these lines. They impose speed limits and then employ a lot of policemen to fine those who break the rules. This should have been very easy to implement in some countries at least. Which is why I had this doubt in my mind.

The Kerala government IS implementing this system for all heavy vehicles and buses I believe. I think the deadline is end of Apr 2007. There was a strike to oppose this which did not succeed. This is being implemented on the order of the Supreme Court - but why only in Kerala????

-Biju
Old 18th April 2007, 14:07   #11
BHPian

dont think this speed limiters will work out in kerala..Almost all the rules that comes here will stay not more than 1 month..Police, common ppl everyone start to forget it..Helmet was made compulsory here but who's wearing it now?If the police man wants money at the start of a month,they can catch u and tell there's a rule like this.. Speed limiters, can be disabled easily i guess...
Old 18th April 2007, 14:17   #12
k36
BHPian

pjbiju .. you are suggesting a way to put limits on policemen's and politicians' source of easy income. Do you think it will succeed even if imposed by the Supreme Court?
Old 18th April 2007, 14:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Strictly speakin only for commercial vehicles - a better option would be engine rpm governors/limiters which would make it impossible for a cabbie to dart across the traffic.

p.s. None of this will work anywhere in india for the next 200 years.
cheers
Old 18th April 2007, 15:45   #14
SLK
Senior - BHPian

no.. why not just lay down tracks... .. the cars can then only be driven in line.. like trains!!

Thats such a sorry idea!
Old 18th April 2007, 16:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
besides im sure someone will come up with a way to disable it soon even if they implement it.
Exactly!. I remember new electronic meter was introduced in Bangalore autos because manual ones were prone to mis calibrations. Not even one week after the launch, my wife found difference in those e-meters for the same route- same time-different autos. They are genius in that way!

Most Viewed