Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2021, 20:05   #61
BHPian

Re: Dealing with my daughter's Covid induced MIS-C

Hope your daughter recovers as soon as possible. Best of luck @locusjag !
anupamsinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 20:12   #62
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your ordeal with us. I wish speedy recovery to little champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The diagnosis:
Acute MIS-C along with Dengue was the reason for her current condition. Normally, when a person has a pre-existing condition (obesity, diabetes, asthma etc.), COVID is deadly to that person. But with my kid, the onset of dengue provided a platform for COVID MIS-C to show what it's capable of. Her immune system was basically on overdrive, with antibodies that were originally produced in response to the COVID 19 virus attacking all her major organs. And she was COVID -ve, as her tests revealed by that time. Fragments of the virus were acting as a super antigen and had kicked up an immunological cyclone within her body.
I did not understand much from this.

Quote:

The net result? Her heart was functioning at 30%. Her liver and spleen were inflamed and enlarged. There was fluid in her lungs. Her gastric system was inflamed. And our heads were spinning. "She's in a critical state, but we have seen 70+ such cases in the past 7 months. We have a protocol to follow and we've begun with it." They were going to inject IVIG (immunoglobulins) via IV and then follow it up with steroids.
But this is really scary.

Me and my wife were infected in first week of September. I was diagnosed for Pneumonia with 50% lung infection and was in hospital for 7 days. I can only imagine what your daughter might have to go through. Luckily our daughter was negative.

As you rightly said, we are not out of danger, specially the metro resident.

Last edited by VaibhaoT : 30th January 2021 at 20:36.
VaibhaoT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 20:37   #63
BHPian

Quote:
I was a fly on the wall on this thread for so long. And then my kid contracted the rare but deadly COVID induced MIS-C (Multisystem Inflammation Syndrome) around 20 days ago.

Symptoms:
It started out as a burning fever, straight to 104 F. This persisted for 4 days, along with rashes on her forehead, chin and fingers. She had intermittent diarrhea. Her eyes were swollen by the 3rd day.
Thanks for sharing your heart wrenching story. I am indeed sorry for your plight. No parent should go through this kind of ordeal. Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery. All our positive thoughts and energy is with you.
Please let us know in what way we can be of any assistance.

MOD NOTE- Please quote *ONLY* the relevant bits of a post.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th January 2021 at 21:26. Reason: Mod note attached.
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 20:56   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to read what the poor child had to experience at such a tender age. God bless your daughter with a healthy, happy life. Thanks for sharing your personal ordeal with us. It is very touching.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 20:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

Had difficulty reading the post in one go. It was such heart-wrenching.

May God (and science) bless your daughter and I sincerely wish one day she shall be treating kid patients in a PICU.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 21:35   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

@All

Thank you for all your wishes!

Situation Update:
My daughter is on the way back to being her ebullient self, fingers crossed. We're being cautiously optimistic.

On sharing all of this in a public forum:
I see many here who've thanked me for sharing something so intense and private on a public forum. This got me thinking...

Here's the thing. My wife had earlier spotted me typing the original post furiously. And she was the first to read through it and she ended up learning some things since we hadn't had time to talk about and connect the dots between us. Looking back at it now, a lot of the things made sense to her after she read through what I wrote!

If this is the benefit my wife derived from my sharing this here, I can safely surmise that all of us here will stand to gain a little something and in keeping our kids safer. And let's not forget - it takes a village to raise a child. Most importantly, as a fellow member wrote here - in these crazy times, if your child has a fever, do not waste any time and take him/her to a qualified pediatrician straightaway...

Anyway, I'm a raconteur at heart and I'm a wasted writer. Writing is therapeutic in and of itself, as I've come to discover belatedly. So I don't see how writing here is that big of a deal.

What I've gained from writing here otherwise:
Since I've written here, a doctor in this forum has taken the pain of reviewing her case and he has given me enough gyaan and reassurances about her recovery. And he has helped me understand the side-effects of steroids better. He's a philanthropist who felt like helping us out to purely lift our sagging spirits. Cheers Sir, if you're seeing this post!

And another member has shared with me privately how his younger brother (who's a grown-up) has recently suffered from MIS-A (which is the adult equivalent of MIS-C, as I'd already alluded to in my original post). We were able to compare notes on the medication which is pretty much the same for us.
locusjag is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 22:08   #67
BHPian

Can't even imagine what would have gone through your wife's and your mind in those trying times. Your daughter is quite young to have realized what was happening.

I would say this is the time to appreciate the system, doctors, staff and anybody who had a role to play in your child's recovery - yes, even the drivers of the trucks delivering O2 or water late in the night.

And of course, thanks for sharing - it's not good to keep it bottled up even though one does not want to relive those situations.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 22:14   #68

Sir,

Wishing your daughter the best of health in the days to come.

I wish to bring up a question since you mentioned about trying to sleep inside your car. Can any bhpian share their insights into how to comfortably sleep inside our cars should the need arises? Like what accessories we need to buy and what precautions we need to take. My idea is that we should keep the windows open just a little to prevent suffocation, keep the doors locked for safety and the car should be always be off and not started.
Azharumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 23:51   #69
BHPian

I wish your daughter a speedy recovery and hope she is in a much better state by now. May God give you enough strength to tackle the situation.

People still are unaware of the seriousness of this disease .There is always that risk when we go out, but whatever we do to take care of ourselves, the people around us are not at all bothered about Covid. All of them act as if everything is over and are celebrating everywhere.
I still wear a mask when I goto my office or market. But the people around me wear a mask which is so elongated after repeated washing that it never stays where it is supposed to be. The whole purpose is defeated.

Anyways, take care. Stay safe.
vijith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 23:55   #70
BHPian

Wish her a speedy recovery. 🙏
RaviCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 00:26   #71

Dear locusjag,

Praying for a continued and speedy recovery for your daughter.
It was heart wrenching to read of her and your family's ordeals. May no parents have to undergo this. Thank you for sharing this, a timely, albeit painful reminder that all is still not well, and we all need to stay cautious and alert.

Take care.
amarnani13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 01:09   #72
BHPian

Get well soon, kiddo! Thanks locusjag for sharing this for everyones benefit.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 07:09   #73
BHPian

Praying for your daughter's speedy recovery. You are very thoughtful of sharing for our awareness, amidst your ordeal. Thank you!
BusyBoyKK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:34   #74
BHPian

My prayers are with you. I hope the little angel recovers at the earliest is back at her normal cheerful self. I too have a five year old daughter. I know how it feels like when our little ones are not well. Your experience has shaken me up. Especially since my daughter is more attached to me and likes to be with me most of the times. I being a consultant, have to expose myself to people most of the times. To be honest, even I had started taking the safety protocols a bit lightly now, after adhering to them since the last 9 months. But your experience shows that COVID is still not to be taken lightly.
dpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:47   #75
BHPian

Prayers for her speedy recovery and hands folded thanks to the doctors who all helped her.

As with multiple antibiotics/steroids, please be cautious with her appetite which leads to put on weight. As she recovers and becomes normal, have regular yoga/stretches to maintain her fitness over long term.

And so much thanks for sharing
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks