Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 11:58   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dealing with my daughter's Covid induced MIS-C

I happened to read this,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-covid-disease

"Up to 100 children a week are being hospitalised with a rare disease that can emerge weeks after Covid-19, leaving them in intensive care, doctors have said.
In a phenomenon that is worrying paediatricians, 75% of the children worst affected by paediatric inflammatory multi-system syndrome (PIMS) were black, Asian or ethnic minority (BAME). Almost four out of five children were previously healthy, according to an unpublished snapshot of cases."
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 19:02   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
In a phenomenon that is worrying paediatricians, 75% of the children worst affected by paediatric inflammatory multi-system syndrome (PIMS) were black, Asian or ethnic minority (BAME). Almost four out of five children were previously healthy, according to an unpublished snapshot of cases."
Yup, I'm aware of this fact. Come to think of it, there is a similarity between the food habits of African origin people and Asians which is rice consumption (chicken rice and gravy is a staple for African Americans for instance); the reason I'm hitting upon the rice connection is that a dietitian whom we know has already alerted us to the correlation between a certain kind of diet (a diet that's rich in carbs, sugars etc.) and a proclivity towards an overall inflammation in the body. As a vegetarian family, we have a carb heavy diet. That could also be a reason why my kid was affected by MIS-C (other than dengue).

Of course, if anyone really knew why MIS-C affects certain people, they'd have gotten a Nobel prize or something!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 22:03   #93
BHPian

@locusjag. What a terrifying ordeal. Hope your daughter recovers well and fast.
You made an important point which people all over are tending to overlook. It isn't safe out there. Not yet.
Garth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 18:50   #94
BHPian

@locusjag, Curious to know how is your daughter doing now? Hopefully she has recovered well.
pudarsanketh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 18:36   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudarsanketh View Post
@locusjag, Curious to know how is your daughter doing now? Hopefully she has recovered well.
Hello!

My daughter is largely out of it. Pancreatitis symptoms still prevail - amylase and lipase enzymes are abnormal, as a blood test 3 weeks back revealed. She's on a diet prescribed by the pediatric gasteroenterologist - no milk, fried foods, maida items or baked items.

We are actually lucky to have a kid on the mend, coming out of MIS-C. We had to hospitalize our kid twice. But we came to know of a kid who went back to the hospital a 3rd time after he developed cerebritis; his brain shut down and the boy started to sleep all the time. I hope they manage to save that child!

But meanwhile, my daughter is in good spirits. She drew what looks like the depiction of a Rugby touchdown celebration the other day on my dad's share market transactions notepad; here it is, with the sensitive info edited out-
Dealing with my daughter's Covid induced MIS-C-20210409_133351_12.jpg

As long as she's happy, despite being denied her favorite junk foods, I guess I should be happy as well. I'll be properly happy when she gets back to a normal life and diet!
locusjag is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 09:00   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

^ A small correction - I finally asked my daughter this morning what she had in mind when she drew that picture; she says she misses having bakery items like cakes so much. In the picture, she imagined that she had crept into a bakery, stole a big pastry and ran away with it. What she has in her hand in the picture is simply the biggest cream bun she could get away with, in her mind! She's forbidden from having them, of course, in the real world...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So - enough about us for now. Let me try to list out the watch items you should look out for in your kids, when it comes to MIS-C.

What MIS-C symptoms to look for in your kids if anyone in your household has had COVID in the past 30-60 days:
* Persistent fever of 103 or 104 Fahrenheit for more than a day - This is despite the strongest antipyretics, antibiotics and non-stop periodic application of wet clothes on the forehead and body.
* Red rashes/pimples on the face & fingers by the 3rd day
* Diarrhoea - symptomatic of the inflammation of the entire digestive tract
* Short breaths coupled with extremely high heart rates (symptomatic of myocarditis, which comes with MIS-C)
* Swollen eyes - this will change the kid's entire facial appearance and this reflects some sort of inflammation as well
* Inability to consume water and food - Water, food and medicines will get expelled via vomit, owing to an inflamed digestive tract
* Altered mental state - My daughter was hallucinating and was disconnected from the real world, before we had diagnosed her condition

Stay safe, people!
locusjag is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 22:43   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
But we came to know of a kid who went back to the hospital a 3rd time after he developed cerebritis; his brain shut down and the boy started to sleep all the time.
It looks like half the kids who suffer from MIS-C develop neurological symptoms:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...gic-symptoms#1
An Excerpt:
Quote:
In the new study, Abdel-Mannan's group analyzed the medical records of 46 COVID-19 patients younger than 18 (average age 10) with MIS-C admitted to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London between April and September of last year.

Of those children, 24 displayed new-onset neurologic symptoms or signs when they were admitted to the hospital. Twenty-four had headaches, 14 had encephalopathy (brain inflammation sometimes caused by infection), six had voice abnormalities or hoarseness, six had hallucinations, five had impaired coordination (ataxia), three had peripheral nerve problems and one had seizures.
I can count my daughter as one who had hallucinations. And the kid we knew of with cerebritis seems to be one among those who've developed central neural problems...
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 20:00   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the litany of posts from me here. But it looks like kids are getting disproportionately affected by COVID MIS-C in India in the second wave now.

The news doesn't say this out aloud but it looks to me like MIS-C is rearing its head big time in our kids this time around - just look at the symptoms involved and the antibody prevalence in kids which is mentioned in the news article below. Remember - MIS-C is caused by an immunological cyclone inside kids bodies. All of this is sparked by COVID.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...ected-7274493/

Quote:
Delhi: In current Covid wave, docs say many kids younger than 5 among patients
The most common Covid-19 symptoms observed in children include high fever, vomiting, diarrhea and headache.

The ongoing Covid-19 surge is taking a toll on children’s health with several hospitals reporting a sharp rise in the number of children between the age of one and five landing up in hospitals. Unlike last year, the virus is affecting infants, with some as young as one-and-a-half months old getting admitted to hospital.

Dr Dhiren Gupta, Pediatric Intensivist at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, said, “The virus is spreading to the pediatric age group in the current surge. The number of children coming to the hospital with Covid-19 has increased five times as compared to last year. We even have a three-month-old infant admitted to the ICU with Covid-19 and pneumonia. While we are getting swamped with young children and teenagers, the most affected age group is between one to five years in this category.”

On Wednesday, Delhi reported the highest single-day spike with 17,282 new cases of Covid-19 and 104 deaths. A total of 1,08,534 tests have been conducted with 15.92 per cent people testing positive for the infection.

The most common symptoms observed in children include high fever, vomiting, diarrhea and headache.

Dr Rahul Nagpal, Director, Pediatric and Neonatology at Fortis Hospital Vasant Kunj, said, “We are getting a lot more children now across all age groups. The youngest child who has Covid-19 is six weeks old. The number was insignificant last year but it has increased exponentially this time. The families of most of the younger ones are also positive. Even teenagers are getting infected, and, in that case, only one or two family members are affected.”
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 20:08   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was a fly on the wall on this thread for so long. And then my kid contracted the rare but deadly COVID induced MIS-C (Multisystem Inflammation Syndrome) around 20 days ago.

<snip>

Also to be noted
MIS-A, the adult equivalent of MIS-C, has also been affecting adults all along. It is what causes multiple organ failure and deaths in the elderly.
Quoting from my first post in January 2021.

My brother-in-law, who had accompanied me and my wife, as we waited in the hospital, has very similar symptoms to my kid's - he's COVID -ve, has a very high CRP value in the blood, high IL6 values, the same WBC counts etc. His left kidney, ureter and bladder are badly affected. I don't have much details at this point but it looks like MIS-A. Our doctor has confirmed that it's definitely a COVID induced after-effect but he hesitates to label it as MIS-A; the doctor is more focused on talking to the urologist rather than assigning the right label to it.

A bilateral stent is most probably needed. He's on antibiotics and blood thinners. We await the urologist's advice right now.

This also makes me wonder - what are the chances that an uncle and his niece would both get affected by MIS-A/C? Is it genetic? This is what I'm wondering.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 20:24   #100
BHPian

Quote:
This also makes me wonder - what are the chances that an uncle and his niece would both get affected by MIS-A/C? Is it genetic? This is what I'm wondering.
"According to Shulman, multigenerational housing and genetics also may account for the disproportionate number of cases of MIS-C among Black, Hispanic or Latino children."

https://www.healio.com/news/infectio...ren-and-adults

Any latino/hispanic ancestry in your wife's family?
Old 13th May 2021, 14:38   #101
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
"According to Shulman, multigenerational housing and genetics also may account for the disproportionate number of cases of MIS-C among Black, Hispanic or Latino children."

https://www.healio.com/news/infectio...ren-and-adults

Any latino/hispanic ancestry in your wife's family?
Since this study is based in the US, it's sample size for Indians would not be sufficient. Very real possibility Indians are also susceptible to this, just studies haven't been done yet.
Old 14th May 2021, 10:19   #102
Senior - BHPian

@locusjag, am very late to this post and glad to know your daughter is doing well.

One of the most traumatic experiences for a person is to have his child in the hospital, more than a spouse or a parent. Have seen all the three instances. The child (11 day baby at the time) was my nephew, who is a dashing 23 year old now.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 00:03   #103
BHPian

Hello Locusjag.

how is your daughter doing now? (If you are able to let us know.)
TorqMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 13:08   #104
BHPian

Quote:
I was a fly on the wall on this thread for so long. And then my kid contracted the rare but deadly COVID induced MIS-C (Multisystem Inflammation Syndrome) around 20 days ago.
Hello Locusjag. Echoing the thoughts of TorqMaster.
How is your daughter now? Hope she is fully recovered and back to her normal self. Do let us all know.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks