Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 11:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thank You - Brian Lara

As you all know - Brian Lara retires ffrom International cricket

I would surely miss watching Lara in action. The way he played always entertaining and fighting. Who can forget his 375 , 501 and the grabbing the record back 400 + (within a week after Hayden had broken his record).

His handling of Murali on the Sri Lankan pitches scoring 900 + runs in 3 test matches was awesome. And most of the time he was alone fighting for his team. But he never gave up.

And when he knew he could not go on, he promptly took the decision to retire.

Good Bye Brian Lara, we will miss you.

ps - Are you reading this Mr Tendulkar ?
Old 20th April 2007, 11:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

It was indeed a privilege to watch Brian Lara bat. He is an artist and an entertainer to the core. I for one will be missing Lara. I used to bear and watch players like Chanderpaul just because I could get a glimpse of Lara's batting at the other end. Thankfully, I need not watch them any more. I have not watched any match in the Super 8 League in this world cup, simply because I do not have the drive to watch any match now. But, Saturday will be different.

I have had very few favourites, of which Lara is one; Azhar and Dravid being the other two. One is abolished, one is retiring tomorrow. Hopefully, I can keep watching the last of my favourites bat for a few more years.

I hope "World's greatest batsman" takes a cue from Lara and retires to save us further misery of watching his pale shadow struggling against minnows.

All the best Lara for your future. Thanks for all the entertainment you had provided during your playing years. May your tribe increase.
Old 20th April 2007, 11:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Brian Charles Lara.. I still remember that thin young bloke making his debut in the triangular series in Australia which india also participated. The way he moved & used his high backlift, murdering the bowlers was a sight to behold. West Indies Cricket can only go downhill from here on. All those who criticised him will quickly realise this.
Old 20th April 2007, 11:42   #4
BHPian

Indeed a true class act. It was unfortunate to see his last matches ending up this way. Would have been a nice exit for him, had Windies been in Semis.

Anyway, his talent is almost impossible to match.
Old 20th April 2007, 11:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

He was a great batsman to watch especially when in full flow. Pure artistry.

P.S. You might wanna edit the title NC, before people make Brain curry of you
Old 20th April 2007, 11:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Lara's case has been that of a genius stuck with a non-performing team.
He has been one of the most entertaining players of our era. His innings in the 1992 World Cup against Pakistan is probably my favourite.
Thanks Brian. We'll surely miss you.
Old 21st April 2007, 02:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Going gracefully, just the way he played. Adieu!
Old 21st April 2007, 11:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Woke up in the morning with a call from friend. Reason? Brian Lara has quit. He was so upset, he should he would just share it with another Lara fan.

Lara was simply the essence of West Indian Cricket. He was the MAN among boys around him. Alas, we'll never again see that lighting footwork, high backlift and blazing cover drive searing the grass.

Debates will continue till eternity about "who was the best". Lara or Tendulkar? At least for me, the answer always was Brian Charles Lara. I like Tendulkar, but the heights surpassed by Lara are hardly matched by him. Lara showed what fighting against all odds is.

Good bye, Lara! We'll all miss you.
Old 21st April 2007, 11:38   #9
BHPian

There was always a debate who was best batsman Sachin vs Lara. Untill late 90's it was surely Sachin but looking at overall career of both. Lara is a clear winner for me. Although Viv remains the numero uno.
Old 21st April 2007, 11:40   #10
BHPian

Welcome to XTRA innings Lara, Hope to see you with Mandira and Gang Soon
Old 21st April 2007, 11:43   #11
BHPian

The best, IMO. May be because he is a lefty, but he is a sight to behold. I can still remember a particular shot of his in Australia (1992, I guess). There was this rising delivery, which he had to jump to defend. I started to laugh, thinking because he was short, but was cut short instead as at the last moment, he flicked the ball when he was on air and ball raced to square leg for a boundary.
Brilliant. No other word for that.
I will miss him
Old 21st April 2007, 14:09   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Welcome to XTRA innings Lara, Hope to see you with Mandira and Gang Soon
Another Viv - Neena ( or what was her name ) story in the making ???

But yeah .. all good things do come to an end and his classy style of playing definitely will be missed . Though I wonder what will happen to the WI team ???? Something drastic required or else it will just become another minnow .... and that wud be SAD .
Old 21st April 2007, 19:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Will definitely miss him. The way he shuffles across the wickets from out side the leg to the off stump with that high bat lift, is truly amazing and treat to watch. Will definitely miss that.

Thank U Mr. Brian Charles Lara...
Have a nice future
Old 21st April 2007, 21:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, Lara. Sad to see him get run-out in his last innings, but that about sums up his career - a great batsman mostly let down or cramped by his team!

Somebody mentioned Tendulkar here - I can assure you it will be more of 'good riddance' than 'thank you' when he finally decides to call it a long weary day.

Last edited by Steeroid : 21st April 2007 at 21:29.
Old 21st April 2007, 21:44   #15
rks
BANNED

When Lara started out in Test cricket, he played alongside some great cricketers, including Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Gordon Greenidge, Desmond Haynes, and a battery of menacing fast bowlers. Subsequently, it was sad to see WI reduced to a bunch of stragglers in international cricket. Lara continued to shine, as everybody knows.

In my opinion, Lara's infamous moment was when he preferred to go for his personal world record of 400 against England, when WI batted on and on to score 750+ in the first innings. This gave WI little time to bowl England out twice and the match ended in a draw, resulting in accusations from ex-WI wicketkeeper Ridley Jacobs that Lara was too selfish and cared only about his personal records. I think even Ricky Ponting commented at that time that the Australians play to win, not for personal records.

Subsequenly Lara has shown that he was willing to encourage youngsters, by dropping down the order and giving them a chance to bat in one-day matches (unlike our own senior players). To Lara's credit, he never changed his batting style and was always aggressive, as Ian Chappell pointed out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks