Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Your experience?
Took the vaccine (or know someone who took the vaccine) and no symptoms are there 286 49.83%
Took the vaccine (or know someone who took the vaccine) and symptoms were there. However, recovered now 243 42.33%
Took the vaccine but situation is dire now 4 0.70%
I am not in favour of this vaccine 41 7.14%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2021, 21:33   #931
BHPian

Re: Covid-19 Vaccine | Registration & Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
BG road is Bannerghatta? Quiet far, but still if I can step out post 2pm would still love the drive on empty roads provided a guaranteed alibi is available to bail me out when cops try to size my vehicle. Thanks for the offer!
Yes, it is Bannerghatta Road.
Also, there is a risk that police may not believe you that you are going for a vaccine as you don't have any proof. But, you could still give it a try as i have heard that police are considerative if one has stepped out for vaccine.
Old 1st June 2021, 00:02   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Yes this discussion is removing me a bit from my sense of resignation. Let me try a walk-in tomorrow afternoon at a nearby UPHC.

See this link

All the contacts and their numbers are there. So now you don't have an excuse.
fordday is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 08:49   #933
BHPian

I think the vaccine availability is improving a lot. My office (a software company with less than 1000 employees in Bangalore) arranged a vaccination drive for employees, spouses, children and friends. Similarly, I see daily messages from our corporator saying that he has arranged vaccines for 45+ at a nearby PHC. Also, BBMP had provided vaccination for 40+ age group (some vaccines were left over after giving to 45+) in our apartment.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 11:35   #934
BHPian

Has anyone taking vaccine from outside their state of residence? I am currently in Bangalore, and have all my identify proofs with Bangalore address only. But I am planning to travel to my hometown (Kerala) once lockdown is lifted. So, if I want to take vaccine in Kerala (first dose), is it possible?

Cowin does take in registration based on aadhaar card, but not sure if the vaccination center in Kerala might raise some concern if I present my aadhaar card with Bangalore address.
Old 1st June 2021, 12:05   #935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Has anyone taking vaccine from outside their state of residence?
I haven't, but I know a friend who has all his address proofs from Bangalore but got his first shot more than a month ago in Gurgaon without any issues.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 12:12   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
*SNIP*

Since both of them are senior citizens, their best bet would be to walk into a PHC with their Aadhaar cards to get their second dose vaccine. The PHC/Hospital can update the vaccine details via the admin UI. *SNIP*
Being very senior citizens they cannot go early and wait for hours to get tokens and then go back later to get vaccinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Why did Airtel not give the SIM? In pre-COVID days, it was a 5 minute affair, cost 75 bucks and needed a PP photo & updated KYC.

Best to approach Airtel again or update the Voda number in Aadhaar ASAP.
Airtel keeps saying they will send the SIM, they just have not. Finally the people got sick of it and got a new number from Vodaphone. Being lockdown, they cannot go to Airtel, plus they're very senior citizens too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
One option is to book a 1st appointment dose for confirmation. Once you reach the vaccination center, provide them with the old phone number. Vaccination center can directly access the records and mark the second dose details in the cowin admin app.

Getting the vaccination certificate is another issue though, as you will have to get this printed out by the hospital/vaccination center.
This might be a workable idea. I shall tell them. Thanks.

BTW, I heard that the govt. is now trying to make it so that one dose of Covishield is enough. Such terrible management and such creative damage control.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 12:18   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone taking vaccine from outside their state of residence? I am currently in Bangalore, and have all my identify proofs with Bangalore address only. But I am planning to travel to my hometown (Kerala) once lockdown is lifted. So, if I want to take vaccine in Kerala (first dose), is it possible?
I personally did not, buy I am almost certainly sure that it will be possible. Else it does not make sense as there would be thousands of cases like this. Most people who were in Bangalore now live in Kerala.

On a similar another note, If this is for 18-45 category, getting vaccinated in Bangalore before you leave may be a better idea as it is open in Bangalore whereas not yet open in full scale in Kerala.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 1st June 2021 at 12:20.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 17:52   #938
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
See this link

All the contacts and their numbers are there. So now you don't have an excuse.
Just when I was about to call some numbers you shared I tried the Cowin site and got a booking at what is listed as Apollo1, Imperial Hospital Research Centre Limited,BBMP. A search on google maps directions shows me its somewhere in between JP Nagar Phase 4 and Arekere - a good 27km drive.

https://goo.gl/maps/WMBVjNeJmUpgMuu77

Is this the right location for what is Apollo1? Given the lockdown and empty roads, I don't mind the long-drive and the chance to make a picnic out of it. At least now I have a booking confirmation to merrily show the cops without fear of having my vehicle seized.

PS: There are 80 Covaxin available there right NOW. Book fast!

Last edited by Ragul : 1st June 2021 at 18:11.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:06   #939
BHPian

Quote:

https://goo.gl/maps/WMBVjNeJmUpgMuu77

Is this the right location for what is Apollo1?
Yes, this is opposite to IIM

Quote:

PS: There are 80 vax available there right NOW. Book fast!
I just checked and saw that for 18+, there are 0 slots for dose 1 and some 90 odd for dose 2. Vaccine is Covishield.

Are 18+ people eligible for 2nd dose of Covishield now? Vaccination for this group started only on May 1st right?
rajesh1868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:07   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that's the location. It's on Bannerghatta Road opposite to IIM.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:10   #941
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Yes, this is opposite to IIM

I just checked and saw that for 18+, there are 0 slots for dose 1 and some 90 odd for dose 2. Vaccine is Covishield.

Are 18+ people eligible for 2nd dose of Covishield now? Vaccination for this group started only on May 1st right?
If you are getting a slot and you need dose 2 just go for it!
One day might make a big difference if you are exposed 2 weeks later when antibodies are just developing.
Old 1st June 2021, 20:18   #942
Team-BHP Support

I had registered for Vaccine in April (45+) but never got to it due to an action-filled personal life. Finally got to Cowin site yesterday morning and while casually checking I see a ton of availability, for free dose of covishield at public health centers, and other govt outfits. I would have preferred a paid option, but nothing was showing as available. So at try two I decided to lock in at a center near to my home and entered Captcha and lo it booked. I have not been keenly following the vaccine scene but kept hearing from a lot of friends that it was a harrowing experience to find a slot. So when I managed to find a slot for the very next day without a BOT (infact it was available for yesterday also) , I felt I have cracked some matrix and how stupid all these people are and were cribbing :P

Next challenge was finding the address, it was mentioned as Health centre at ward office xxx, next to Indira Canteen. Tried google map search with no luck, google web search also was inconclusive. Called up a friend who has some local connects and he confirmed that one of the option which I saw on web result is indeed the ward office. It was hardly 800 meters from my home and I had visited the place a few years back for some tax paper work. So that also seems sorted.

The V days (today) took the bike out and reached the ward office, a desolate place with not even a soul and blocked entrance! So much for all the excitement, reality is rather different indeed. Decided to ride around the area to see if there is any other board or if that elusive Indira Canteen is there. Ofcourse it was NOT there. The mind had decided by then to drop the idea and look at the apartment vaccine drive that might happen in a couple of weeks. That is when I noticed an Autorickshaw stand and good old logic of checking with the drivers. They confirmed the ward office is the place that I went to. But when I enquired about vaccination, they pointed me to another public health center, which is about a km away on the other side of old airport road, just before Diamond District turn off.

Whacked the Gixxer 150 throttle open and reached the venue in under 3 minutes at about 10 am lol and yes indeed, there is a crowd sitting in the open air shamiana. Parked the bike and walked in and it is close to 50-60 people and I am really wondering if it is worth waiting and will I get a jab today. Typical Govt establishment, people wait while officials have not come in. Few ladies walk in with the white coat by about 10-1015, then the top guy walks in at about 1020 am. I was standing in a corner in the front along with another couple trying to maintain the max social distance, instead of sitting under the shamiana.

So finally the officer comes out and announces, "people under 45 thank you but you can leave, we are giving only for 45+ group" "folks for second jab, if it is not day 85, thank you but you can also leave" "front line workers, if you do not have letters and id card, you can also get that and come back". Some mummbling later almost 50% of people have gone out!! In that mela I moved away to the other corner which was full empty (again to avoid any contact) lol. Our man announces that everyone should line up in chair and he will come verify identity and age at the seat and issue token. I continue to stand and he asserts I need to park my butt if he has to start issuing token. Ok done!

So from being maybe 65+ on the token number, here I am sitting in row 1 end and I have been given token no 21. They call one by one, enters the details in their app and ask folks to come back and sit. Then start sending in folks for the jab in parallel after a bit. Time is now about 1045 AM. My turn to enter details come, since I had blocked the slot it was easy for them, just needed my phone number to pull the data and then the 4 digit pin to allocate me the jab. 1055 AM I have been called in and I wait in Q inside the health center (well ventilated and pretty clean place hmm), 11 AM got my jab and asked to wait in the waiting chairs inside. We were some 4-5 folks in 15 chairs, so felt comfortable. But soon more and more folks started coming in to sit after the jab. I took the chance and walked out at 11.06 AM. Rode home, took a nice bath and started working.

Drank some 2 liter water till now (apart from my regular 1 liter water at wake up), so far so good. No signs of any side effects and I have not yet taken any Dolo thingies. Fingers crossed.

Summary -
  • 1- Availability seems to have eased off in BLR compared to earlier.
  • 2- The booking slot system for a public setup is almost pointless since you will have to eventually go get the token.
  • 3- I seem to have been lucky to get this done today without much nerve-wracking.
  • 4- The whole system leaves lots to be improved and is pretty inefficient. I seriously don't think tall claims of vaccinating all by end-of-year stand even the slightest chance.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd June 2021 at 06:50. Reason: Minor typo
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 21:11   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am currently in Bangalore, and have all my identify proofs with Bangalore address only. But I am planning to travel to my hometown (Kerala) once lockdown is lifted. So, if I want to take vaccine in Kerala (first dose), is it possible?
Cowin does take in registration based on aadhaar card, but not sure if the vaccination center in Kerala might raise some concern if I present my aadhaar card with Bangalore address.
If you are planning to take the 18-44 category slot at a public health centre (Not Paid), then it is possible only by scheduling through Kerala Govt portal. And in this particular case ONLY, they have mandated resident of Kerala.

Any other category of scheduling that you can make directly via Cowin, address in Aadhaar is not a matter of concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
This could be the way the vaccine availability got entered in the system by the admins. Need not worry about it and can book away.

Last edited by sarathlal : 1st June 2021 at 21:14.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 05:32   #944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The whole system leaves lots to be improved and is pretty inefficient. I seriously don't think tall claims of vaccinating all by end-of-year stand even the slightest chance.
Basic numbers state we are at about 140 Cr and have inoculated ~20+ Cr. So for the rest of 120 even if we go at the rate of 1 Cr/day we would need 4 months. And that also assumes we can sustain this supply *and* consumption for 4 months every day!

PS: Today We are doing at about 20-35L/day. We surely have a LONG way to go.
Old 2nd June 2021, 07:27   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And that also assumes we can sustain this supply *and* consumption for 4 months every day!

PS: Today We are doing at about 20-35L/day. We surely have a LONG way to go.
This also assumes that everybody is *willing* to take the vaccine. There is already few news items/anecdotes trickling in of #VaccineHesitancy.

My guess is around August, when there is sufficient supply, #VaccineHesitancy will start to rear its head more prominently. The govt may also find Vaccine Hesitancy as a convenient excuse
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed