Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2023, 08:06   #256
BHPian

Re: Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant

Yes sure. I have taken the basic parameters now. It's 8am and power generation at 500w.Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-screenshot_20230218080338.png

Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-screenshot_20230218080349.png

Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-screenshot_20230218080358.png
kutts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 11:56   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Yes sure. I have taken the basic parameters now. It's 8am and power generation at 500w.Attachment 2419777

Attachment 2419778

Attachment 2419779
Hi,

There's a better way to get the data from the growatt website.

Login at growatt website using your credentials.

https://server.growatt.com/login.do

After logging, go to "plant" tab, then to device list. Further, depending on inverter type on-grid, off-grid or hybrid the data is available at "Inverter" or "MAX/MID/MAC" or "Hybrid" or "MIN/MIC/MOD/NEO".
For our on-grid 1-phase inverter I get the data at "MIN/MIC/MOD/NEO", clicking on it will give a table of devices online and corresponding data logger.

Just double click anywhere on the table a menu pops with the data. In that menu you can select for a particular day and download the data for that day, max you can go is 2-3 months and at a time 4 days of data can be downloaded in a single excel file. I have data downloaded for our inverter from the day of commission.

If you can share the excel of your inverter data particularly of 2-3 days where generation is maximum it will be very helpful.

Attached the screenshot on getting the data:
Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-screenshot-20230202-211555.png

Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-screenshot-20230202-214212.png

Last edited by manson : 23rd February 2023 at 23:37.
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:40   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgnkar View Post
From grid side there is no issue I think. Don't know why the inverter is giving high voltage? Even the inverter team don't know why. They keep changing settings everyday and monitoring. They are just concerned of inverter going to standby mode but not that it is giving high voltage. They are saying it is common in all inverters during generation. This I am not sure how to verify.

Our inverter is single-phase, 5000W rated capacity. We have 3-phase connection where our house and inverter are connected to single R-phase to. Y-phase has no load and B-phase has motors connected which is completely isolated from solar. In other phases voltages are usually 223V-228V in meter. Confirmed it with multimeter too.

This is where it is getting mysterious. Contractor claims ACDB is unidirectional. It protects the inverter from grid side voltage rise but not the other way. I am not sure if that is true because all the signs so far looks like it is bidirectional. The ACDB disconnects only when the generation is good on a very sunny day as voltage is high only on those days. Other days it is fine though voltage is usually above 250.

The challenging task here is convincing Growatt inverter team that it is not normal. They are just saying something else is not right check for P-N voltage, N-E voltage, wire length, etc. We sent photos and videos too. There latest in arsenal is do you have UPS in your house that might be the issue!! Disconnected it for sometime and there is no difference.

I read all your messages but am just quoting one to get your attention.

Firstly, there is nothing in the ACDB that would monitor voltage and trip. It's all MCB's that monitor Current only and not voltage. You can share a pic of your mcb and we'll know if there is anything related to voltage apart from the surge protection.

The surge protection is a isolated device and will just send any lightening surges etc on a low resistance path directly to the ground, so it will not trip any mcb's.

Is your inverter going to standby because the mcb is tripping or is it going to standby due the voltage that it is generating itself. If the mcb's are tripping, i am guessing, they are undersized for the current the inverter is sending. check that bit if you have not checked already.

On voltages, yes inverters go to standby if they see 255 or 260 voltage, i vaguely remember there is a setting to set the voltage slightly higher in some inverters.

And about appliances failing at 260V, my grid voltage goes over 265 every night and my appliances are fine, all of them are build to withstand upto 280. I have some false ceiling lights power supplies failing every year but those are mostly due to the cheap quality stuff they are and likely not due to the high voltage.

And i am reading several posts from different regions in india and many have the smae problem with high voltage at night.

Mostly heard from ev owners who try to charge at night adn their charger cuts off due to 260+ voltages and they are unable to charge. Many people tried to complain to the discom but the discoms don't do anything, so people have been getting stabilizers to charge their ev's.

I monitor all kinds of parameters on my meter, here is a graph for voltages. Phase 2 (Voltage 2) is higher in my area at both day and night irrespective of solar generation.

i have a 3 phase goodwe inverter connected to all 3 phases and then a 1 phase deye hybrid inverter that is connected to phase 2, so on phase 2 both inverter generate and send. I need to move the deye inverter to another phase and check if there is any difference but i am pretty sure the phase is messed up and this is not due to the inverter.

voltage graph for a few days last week for all 3 phases. Voltages go high at night when the load on the transformer is low and falls again early morning everyday and stays below 250-255 through the day.

Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-voltages.png
Old 23rd February 2023, 23:34   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
I read all your messages but am just quoting one to get your attention.

Firstly, there is nothing in the ACDB that would monitor voltage and trip. It's all MCB's that monitor Current only and not voltage. You can share a pic of your mcb and we'll know if there is anything related to voltage apart from the surge protection.

The surge protection is a isolated device and will just send any lightening surges etc on a low resistance path directly to the ground, so it will not trip any mcb's.
I've attached the picture of ACDB, it has Voltage protector device(VPD) and contactor.
Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-acdb.jpg

When voltage goes above 255, VPD warning light blinks and cuts off above 260V. But we are measuring the grid voltage it usually stays well between 235V, rarely goes to 240.

Quote:
Is your inverter going to standby because the mcb is tripping or is it going to standby due the voltage that it is generating itself. If the mcb's are tripping, i am guessing, they are undersized for the current the inverter is sending. check that bit if you have not checked already.
By looking at the inverter data and setting it is unnecessarily increasing the voltage above 255 and after some point contactor is disconnecting the circuit to protect. In the settings there is an option to set the limit and to avoid inverter going to standby mode Growatt team just set it to maximum limit, that is 280V.

Quote:
On voltages, yes inverters go to standby if they see 255 or 260 voltage, i vaguely remember there is a setting to set the voltage slightly higher in some inverters.
Here, inverter is going to standby mode because at ACDB circuit is being disconnected. If setting in inverter was around 260V as per the regulation for most inverters then it would shutdown on its own but the limit is set to 280V to avoid that, so before inverter can shutdown our ACDB is cutting it off. Inverter doesn't give any error code but just goes to standby mode displaying "waiting/reconnecting in 60s" count down.

But during the actual power cut we can see inverter error code 302, which is "No AC connection" but during standby mode there is no error code. I was reading about VPD wiring, if I understood properly then they have live and neutral wired and only Live is disconnected but not neutral. That's why I think inverter is able to sense the power unlike during power failure.

Quote:
And about appliances failing at 260V, my grid voltage goes over 265 every night and my appliances are fine, all of them are build to withstand upto 280. I have some false ceiling lights power supplies failing every year but those are mostly due to the cheap quality stuff they are and likely not due to the high voltage.

And i am reading several posts from different regions in india and many have the smae problem with high voltage at night.
We even monitored our grid voltage in the night. it stays very low around 210-215. From all our measurements it is clear grid voltage stays less than 240V barely crosses 235V. Installer also double checked it by disconnecting solar and reconnecting it back. There is about 20-25V increase after inverter is online.

I think there is also many regulations overlooked in India. I compared the Growatt inverter data from 20-25 inverters of all kinds. On-grid, Off-grid, hybrid and mostly there voltage stays within 245-250V at peak power but the data from the inverters in India shows that voltage is very high compared to the average. For many countries max voltage setting is at 255V and inverter is operating within that voltage.

Growatt inverter team is not accepting that it is inverter issue but they are say everything else and I am not sure what is at fault. So far our inverter has gone to standby mode over 200 times and switched off over 50 times in 4 months and it is not normal.

I am trying to get everything sorted from our end to conclude this. Only one thing which might be under fault in our connection is N-E voltage which is not always below 5V but it fluctuates between 3-15V but I am not sure if this can cause voltage rise in the inverter output as this was not the problem during first 1.5 months of the commission as panels were getting shaded and it never reached peak power. Only after panels are moved to non-shaded area we see this issue during peak power but not on cloudy days.

Last edited by manson : 23rd February 2023 at 23:39.
cgnkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 12:16   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgnkar View Post
I've attached the picture of ACDB, it has Voltage protector device(VPD) and contactor.
Attachment 2421983

When voltage goes above 255, VPD warning light blinks and cuts off above 260V. But we are measuring the grid voltage it usually stays well between 235V, rarely goes to 240.

By looking at the inverter data and setting it is unnecessarily increasing the voltage above 255 and after some point contactor is disconnecting the circuit to protect. In the settings there is an option to set the limit and to avoid inverter going to standby mode Growatt team just set it to maximum limit, that is 280V.

Here, inverter is going to standby mode because at ACDB circuit is being disconnected. If setting in inverter was around 260V as per the regulation for most inverters then it would shutdown on its own but the limit is set to 280V to avoid that, so before inverter can shutdown our ACDB is cutting it off. Inverter doesn't give any error code but just goes to standby mode displaying "waiting/reconnecting in 60s" count down.

But during the actual power cut we can see inverter error code 302, which is "No AC connection" but during standby mode there is no error code. I was reading about VPD wiring, if I understood properly then they have live and neutral wired and only Live is disconnected but not neutral. That's why I think inverter is able to sense the power unlike during power failure.

We even monitored our grid voltage in the night. it stays very low around 210-215. From all our measurements it is clear grid voltage stays less than 240V barely crosses 235V. Installer also double checked it by disconnecting solar and reconnecting it back. There is about 20-25V increase after inverter is online.

I think there is also many regulations overlooked in India. I compared the Growatt inverter data from 20-25 inverters of all kinds. On-grid, Off-grid, hybrid and mostly there voltage stays within 245-250V at peak power but the data from the inverters in India shows that voltage is very high compared to the average. For many countries max voltage setting is at 255V and inverter is operating within that voltage.

Growatt inverter team is not accepting that it is inverter issue but they are say everything else and I am not sure what is at fault. So far our inverter has gone to standby mode over 200 times and switched off over 50 times in 4 months and it is not normal.

I am trying to get everything sorted from our end to conclude this. Only one thing which might be under fault in our connection is N-E voltage which is not always below 5V but it fluctuates between 3-15V but I am not sure if this can cause voltage rise in the inverter output as this was not the problem during first 1.5 months of the commission as panels were getting shaded and it never reached peak power. Only after panels are moved to non-shaded area we see this issue during peak power but not on cloudy days.

I didn't read through fully, but i think you are saying the vpd is cutting off as soon as it sees high voltage and isolating the inverter. why don't you just increase the cutoff voltage on the vpd and check if everything works fine...

Seems like seriously high voltages but trust me, voltage at my home is going really high every night (close to 270) and everything is working fine.

Might be unrelated but i also can't make out from the pic. is this 3 phase? can you check if one of the phases has almost no loads? Voltages usually go high on phases that dont have loads and drop drastically as soon as you add loads to it.
Old 7th August 2023, 20:00   #261
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

So, BESCOM is planning a huge increase in fixed charges from 110 per KW to 300 per KW, so I have a sanctioned load of 12 KW. My fixed charges will go to about 3750 or so.

My question is, if my production is in excess over my consumption, will that be able to offset some of the fixed charges also? Or is it only allowed to offset consumption charges?
Old 8th August 2023, 12:44   #262
BHPian

So, we have a pretty good solar connection here in Punjab and it is an absolute boon!
I mean, the setup generates around 25 units per day and the daily consumption is way below that. So, the bill is virtually zero. This compared to last year when the summer bills were nearly INR 10k a month.

I think this is the way for the future. Have a good setup, free electricity for home, car and two wheeler. Only thing: Is there enough sunlight for this to work in Bangalore? (Oh wait, I have an apartment!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
...My question is, if my production is in excess over my consumption, will that be able to offset some of the fixed charges also? Or is it only allowed to offset consumption charges?
No idea about Bescom, but in Punjab the excess is offset against consumption charges. That too for only for settlement period. The moment the generation exceeds 90% of your consumption from Oct-Sep (settlement period), no carry forward happens and the meter is reset to zero. Excess electricity given to the grid in this case is treated as inadvertent injection
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 14:34   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
So, we have a pretty good solar connection here in Punjab and it is an absolute boon!
I mean, the setup generates around 25 units per day and the daily consumption is way below that. So, the bill is virtually zero. This compared to last year when the summer bills were nearly INR 10k a month.

I think this is the way for the future. Have a good setup, free electricity for home, car and two wheeler. Only thing: Is there enough sunlight for this to work in Bangalore? (Oh wait, I have an apartment!)

No idea about Bescom, but in Punjab the excess is offset against consumption charges. That too for only for settlement period. The moment the generation exceeds 90% of your consumption from Oct-Sep (settlement period), no carry forward happens and the meter is reset to zero. Excess electricity given to the grid in this case is treated as inadvertent injection
How do you have a virtually zero bill. What about fixed charges?

Also are you saying that you cannot offset 100 percent of your consumption? And, settlement period is one year?
Old 8th August 2023, 15:32   #264
BHPian

Quote:
How do you have a virtually zero bill. What about fixed charges?..?
That's why it is virtually zero and not exactly zero.

Quote:
Also are you saying that you cannot offset 100 percent of your consumption?
Yes. You can offset 100% of your consumption. However, say annually you consume 3000 units, but your solar system generates 5000 units. In this case, once you cross 90% consumption (i.e. 2700 units) the banking will cease once consumption is reached. Settlement will be made for 3000 units and the excess 2000 units will be free to the state electricity board. Also, the next cycle will start from zero (as if you haven't contributed anything yet to the electricity grid).
"at the beginning of each settlement period, cumulative carried over solar electricity injected shall be reset to zero".

Quote:
And, settlement period is one year?
In Punjab yes, it is from Oct to Sep.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 16:03   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
Yes.

But one thing that makes On grid/grid tie solar less attractive in bescom is, you can only export the sanctioned load. Lets say you currently have 3kw sanctioned load, you want to install 5kw solar, you will then need to upgrade your sanctioned load which means, your monthly fixed charges whether you consume or not will be higher.

Bescom charges for first 1kw is ₹118 and ₹129.5 for every additional kw including GST. So for a 5kw connection you will have to pay ₹636 every single month. This keeps increasing every year.

Not to mention the initial deposit for every kw of sanctioned load.
Is it true that they want to increase fixed charges to 350/KW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
In Kerala, KSEB seems to be gearing up to change into gross metering for on grid systems. If so, this beats any savings that we can hope for using a solar at home right? KSEB is appealing for the second time in the last year for this proposal. Is going off grid the only solution to this?
https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...wer-units.html
Not sure if this will go thru. No one will install solar then, and even the vendors will be in trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
That's why it is virtually zero and not exactly zero.

Yes. You can offset 100% of your consumption. However, say annually you consume 3000 units, but your solar system generates 5000 units. In this case, once you cross 90% consumption (i.e. 2700 units) the banking will cease once consumption is reached. Settlement will be made for 3000 units and the excess 2000 units will be free to the state electricity board. Also, the next cycle will start from zero (as if you haven't contributed anything yet to the electricity grid).
"at the beginning of each settlement period, cumulative carried over solar electricity injected shall be reset to zero".

In Punjab yes, it is from Oct to Sep.
Thanks again, but I thought that the excess generated is paid back to you in money?
Old 8th August 2023, 17:24   #266
BHPian

Quote:
So, BESCOM is planning a huge increase in fixed charges from 110 per KW to 300 per KW, so I have a sanctioned load of 12 KW. My fixed charges will go to about 3750 or so.

My question is, if my production is in excess over my consumption, will that be able to offset some of the fixed charges also? Or is it only allowed to offset consumption charges?
In Bangalore it will be offset based on the PPA (power purchase agreement). Suppose you generated 100 units extra and if the PPA says you are to be paid Rs 4 per unit - which is what it is for me in Bangalore, you would get Rs. 400. But if you fixed charges are 500, then your bill will show Rs 100 to be paid by you.

However, my experience has been that all the billing is manual in Bangalore and that makes it prone to billing issues. I would suggest to plan the solar capacity such that it just about offsets your usage + some extra buffer. That way in case they don't pay you regularly for the extra power you sent back, you don't lose much.

Last edited by deep_bang : 8th August 2023 at 17:27.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 18:08   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
In Bangalore it will be offset based on the PPA (power purchase agreement). Suppose you generated 100 units extra and if the PPA says you are to be paid Rs 4 per unit - which is what it is for me in Bangalore, you would get Rs. 400. But if you fixed charges are 500, then your bill will show Rs 100 to be paid by you.

However, my experience has been that all the billing is manual in Bangalore and that makes it prone to billing issues. I would suggest to plan the solar capacity such that it just about offsets your usage + some extra buffer. That way in case they don't pay you regularly for the extra power you sent back, you don't lose much.
Thanks. That's good to know, that even fixed charges can be offset. Any idea if the plan to increase fixed charges from 110 per KW to 350 is likely to go through?
Old 9th August 2023, 13:39   #268
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thanks. That's good to know, that even fixed charges can be offset. Any idea if the plan to increase fixed charges from 110 per KW to 350 is likely to go through?
I haven't see any news that suggest they are going to increase it to that high. But they increase it every year and for this year they have already increased the rates.

But since they are giving free power to those who consume less then 200units or 10months average which ever is less. It wouldn't shock me if they hiked it that high next year.
Old 9th August 2023, 15:14   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I haven't see any news that suggest they are going to increase it to that high. But they increase it every year and for this year they have already increased the rates.
This is what I read

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...20%E2%82%B9300
Old 9th August 2023, 16:01   #270
BHPian

We have two connections at home, 5KV and 6 KV, and the monthly power bill is approx. 7.5K *2.
Please advise on the following questions:
1: Which is the most reliable brand for Solar Panels?
2: What should be the investment to reduce the power bill to less than 1K for each connection?
3: How much open space is needed?
4: Are there any good players like Reliance or Adani bringing cost-effective solar energy solutions in a year or two?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks