Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2007, 08:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Six-Vehicle Crash! Two Dead! Four Bungalows...

24th April, 3 AM: A major accident took place at the Four Bungalows junction. Six vehicles and eight people were involved in the collision. A Maruti Swift, Fiat Palio, Tempo, TATA Indigo, Rickshaw and a milkvan. Tarosh Abhay Deewanji, 18 and Abhishek Anil Sethi, 20 were killed on the spot.

The two cars (Swift and Palio) were coming down at a high speed towards Versova while the Tempo was coming from Lokhandwala at full speed. They collided at Four Bungalows junction. The traffic signals are switched OFF at that time in the morning.

Pic 1: Accident Spot
Pic 2: At the Police yard

You have to see the cars personally to believe this. The Swift is crumpled badly. It seems that Sethi's (Palio) skull was crushed beyond recognition. Those who died, did not wear seatbelts. Seen a lot of Police in the morning doing investigation. All cars were towed to the Police Station by noon.

Resources:
Mumbai Mirror
Mid-Day

Always...
  • Wear seatbelts. Its for your safety first, and then an excuse for the Traffic Police.
  • Slow down at every junction you come across. There are many morons who may come in your way without even looking or releasing the accelerator pedal.
  • In the night, do not always believe the traffic signal. Be safe by slowing down EVEN IF you got the green light. I've witnessed far too many !@%#!%#!@ from adjacent roads ignoring the red light and getting on to the way of oncoming cars.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Horrible accident !! Could it be that the palio & swift were trying to race each other & did not notice the intersection ??? very very sad indeed.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes. It is claimed that the Swift and Palio were racing each other. They had least expected a Tempo at full speed coming straight from Lokhandwala towards Four Bungalows.

Did anyone take any pictures of the Swift's rear?! I seen a LOTTT of people taking pictures. The actual damage on the Swift can be seen from the rear angle.

Last edited by Gordon : 25th April 2007 at 09:20.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:17   #4
BHPian

Horrible. Can not believe it happened within city. I mean what speed they were all? What happened to Other vehicles?.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:17   #5
BHPian

The boys were too young to have a fate like this..Very sad indeed. I have seen many drivers jumping the lights during the night...

Drive safe guys.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli
Can not believe it happened within city.
That is a complete stretch of concrete road. And at 3, its perfect to get you racing. But there are many by-lanes, which you need to be careful.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:31   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Read the report this morning in the Times. Terrible accident.....TOI claimed that the air-bag in the Swift saved the Swift driver. The Tempo crashed with the Swift first and the Swift in turn hit the Palio and some others.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the Swift in turn hit the Palio and some others
....a rickshaw and a milkvan too probably. The rickshaw driver was inside. The rickshaw was "thrown" up in the air.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Moral of the story: Always wear the seat belts. Airbags save.

I feel the time has come for the govt to make ABS/Airbags compulsary. Increase the penalties for not wearing a seat belt...

Care for life...
Old 25th April 2007, 09:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

i got this news yesterday morning. deewanji is my senior and after working with him at night it was impossible to belive this happen. he lost his son at this prime age.
be very careful while driving in city after 11pm and till 9am in mumbai because everyone is in a sudden hurry to reach nowhere.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:36   #11
Team-BHP Support

A very horrific accident. Very close to my place in Andheri. The road is not safe and I request everyone here to learn from this accident and wear your seatbelts!
Old 25th April 2007, 09:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

man, thats a terrible thing to read about. I really dont know why people need to race at times when everyone's concentration is worn thin. In chennai, the traffic police put up barricades on all long stretches. It does serve the purpose of slowing down traffic, but it also adds to the danger as they are not illuminated and can cause more accidents than trying to prevent them.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Seatbelts are a must, yes. But even bigger issue - racing on public roads, esp without adequate protection. Its not just a risk for the drivers - but a threat to people around. If one must race or give in to your ego while driving, find an empty private road or an airfield or ground, make sure its empty and do whatever. Too many people do this too often - and these incidents are just waiting to happen all the time.
Horrible, and sad. Lives lost for no reason at all.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:48   #14
BHPian

Damn, this is really bad. My condolence to the grieving families.
Hope this settles the lengthy never-ending debates as to whether the Palio or Swift or any other car is safer! No car is safe if driven at high speeds and without any seatbelts. So please belt up always guys, and try to drive defensively.
Speed does thrills but it also kills!!!

Last edited by DriverR : 25th April 2007 at 09:50. Reason: additional info
Old 25th April 2007, 10:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

Thats really sad to read... IF only they had been wearing their seatbelts, and also If only they could control their adrenaline rush. Waste of lives so young.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks