Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2021, 17:27   #1
BHPian

My new four wheeler, a wheelchair!

I snapped my Achilles tendon playing badminton. The docs stitched it back and put a plaster on it. But I had to move around on a wheelchair for a month.

Then it struck me that this vehicle has all the attributes that we associate with a fun car.

1. Rear wheel drive. You have to move it by rolling the rear wheels.

2. Staggered tyre setup. Rear wheels are large and front wheels are small. Although it's closer to a tractor setup than a sports saloon.

3. Limited slip differential. Slip determined by how much you roll each wheel.

4. 50:50 weight distribution. It's light enough that if it's not 50:50, you can lean forward or back to make it so.

6. High bhp/ton. Provided you're strong, but lightweight.

7. Harsh suspension on bad roads, but great handling through corners

Then there are some things that make it similar to a regular car:

1. Boot space is a pouch at the back. But if you put anything in it, it pokes your back

2. Ground clearance can be raised or lowered based on how high you set the foot rests.

3. Comfy seats. Faux leather.

4. Armrests. On both sides too.

5. Brakes do tend to overheat your palms though

6. Dual handbrakes on each rear wheel.

7. Instead of tow hooks at the front, it has pushing handles at the back.

8. Air conditioning was more akin to a bike's, than a car's.

At a time when I couldn't drive a car, this wheelchair gave me the closest thing that came to it. This isn't a review of a car, but it is a four wheeler nonetheless. When life gives you lemons, you drive your new four wheeler over them after the puja.

Hope this gave you a chuckle.
Attached Thumbnails
My new four wheeler, a wheelchair!-img20210312090040.jpg  

Last edited by evil_grin : 11th April 2021 at 17:30.
evil_grin is offline   (253) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 17:34   #2
BHPian

re: My new four wheeler, a wheelchair!

Wish you all the best in recovering quickly!!
shifu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 17:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Now I can't really say congratulations for that new set of 4-wheels can I. Instead let me wish you the least time and mileage on your new drive and no difficulty selling it off in the second hand market. It can in the meantime be used to get sympathy from the fairer sex. Go for it boy.

Wish you a quick & complete recovery. Love your zest for life and sense of humour.
V.Narayan is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 18:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

I really appreciate your TBHP mindset. In spite of several agonies, the whole world looks like a car for a man with TBHP Blood group.

This is nothing less than an official review of any other 4 wheeler or owner's review

Being a EV, how do you compare it's performance with Petrol cars

How was your delivery experience? What about niggles?

When are you planning to have a long journey on this little beast?

Hope you will downgrade back to original petrol or diesel car very soon.

Wish you very less mile munching journey on this car. Hope a good resale value for this new car after a month, although I wish none to get into this state to purchase this car.

Last edited by gkveda : 11th April 2021 at 18:52.
gkveda is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
More than just a chuckle
Good to know you are still able to hold your own inspite of what must be a very difficult time!
But hope you get to disown this four wheeler very quickly, wishing you a very speedy recovery
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

brilliant.

But you forgot to add the following :
- no document/RTO issues
- zero emissions
- ultra low profile tyres
- a wheelie capable 4 wheeler, now how many 4 wheelers can boast of that ?
- easy customizations, just get a good Bluetooth speaker and you are sorted for the drive
- no need to deal with A.S.S. stuff

But I would recommend you get a reversing camera, just use the front camera of your phone, that would be the best use till date of that feature

Although I would wish you get back to polluting the environment soon enough and drive something with BHPs rather than the arguably better BMP that you currently drive.
shancz is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:05   #7
BHPian

As the legend once said, Where there are Wheels, there are Ways! So keep 'em rolling!

Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 11th April 2021 at 19:09.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 20:58   #8
BANNED

Quote:
More than a chuckle, probably the only thread which gave enough of it since the 8 pm of 22nd March 2020.

Get well soon mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
It can in the meantime be used to get sympathy from the fairer sex. Go for it boy.
Now this is wicked! Even more so, when coming from you, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Being a EV, how do you compare it's performance with Petrol cars
That's not an EV, it's even more sustainable. No electricity consumption too, just 1 h.p. (Human Power) is needed.

Quote:
What about niggles?
Niggles!! It's more reliable than even a Toyota. I wish nobody needs to check its long term reliability though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- no document/RTO issues
- zero emissions
BHPians indeed get excited over anything and everything that comes with wheels!

Quote:
- no need to deal with A.S.S. stuff
Legend says that, it's the pain of a BHPian speaking.

Quote:
But I would recommend you get a reversing camera
Having a nice convex mirror installed on this would actually make for a very usable reversing and park assist.

Last edited by VKumar : 11th April 2021 at 21:05.
VKumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 22:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wishing you a speedy recovery and hoping this will be a short ownership Your sense of humor and approach to this whole thing is definitely to be applauded. One point you missed out is reserved parking spaces, at least abroad.

Maybe Motorized versions of these will be a solutions for mobility in cities far in future. Something like this
TrackDay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 22:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I wish nobody needs to check its long term reliability though.
good one.

Quote:
Yup, especially since he's riding on probably the largest wheels among us.

Quote:
Legend says that, it's the pain of a BHPian speaking.
The legend is always right

Quote:
Having a nice convex mirror installed on this would actually make for a very usable reversing and park assist.
Yes it would've been the best solution but a minor bump by unpredictable crossing traffic could cause glass shards all over the floor. Hence a safety hazard. Not sure if others around him are willing to follow traffic rules inside the house.
The most interesting and expensive way could be to use a 360 degree camera paired to his phone. That way he can have more features than most of our cars. Maybe even a 10 inch tab to take the game to the gizmo kings of today.
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 07:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Now I can't really say congratulations for that new set of 4-wheels can I. Instead let me wish you the least time and mileage on your new drive and no difficulty selling it off in the second hand market. It can in the meantime be used to get sympathy from the fairer sex. Go for it boy.
I have since then been promoted to a walker. So you can congratulate me on that. I borrowed the wheelchair from an acquaintance that hadn't used it after buying new so don't have to worry about resale. As for sympathy from the fairer sex, I'd prefer my other leg not get broken by the one I got hitched to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
What about niggles?

When are you planning to have a long journey on this little beast?

Hope you will downgrade back to original petrol or diesel car very soon.
This baby doesn't like bad roads. It squeaks like a creaking bed in one of those banned ads.
The longest journey I've done is one end of our society to the other to hunt for houses. I get my 5 year old to push me since he likes it a lot.
I've started driving my AT car for short distances. Good thing that I only need one leg for that.

Quote:
- a wheelie capable 4 wheeler, now how many 4 wheelers can boast of that ?

But I would recommend you get a reversing camera, just use the front camera of your phone, that would be the best use till date of that feature
Yeah. Forgot to mention low profile tyres. Those seem to hate bad roads as well. They've gotten as pockmarked as some of our roads.

I was thinking of doing a wheelie, but hadn't spent enough time with the vehicle to be confident of such stunts.

Fun idea about the front camera. I should use it to show the person pushing me the front extremities instead. Everyone who pushes me, ends up underestimating how long this thing is and invariably bumps my legs against the lift wall. So I just move my legs aside and let the footrest take the hit.

Quote:
You should have seen the look on people's faces in the hospital when I was bored waiting for the doctor and attempting to drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post

Maybe Motorized versions of these will be a solutions for mobility in cities far in future.
Now, wouldn't that be dandy !

Quote:
he's riding on probably the largest wheels among us.
Large wheels, or rather, low profile tyres = bad ride quality. Especially when your suspension doesn't have any springs.

When people would be astonished when I'd say it'll take 6 months to recover, I'd remind them that 6 months is a rounding error when the life expectancy is 80. It's funny how you can change the narrative just by changing the perspective.

From a wheelchair to a walker, I'd say I'm aging in reverser, like a certain Mr. Button.

Thank you all for the wishes.
evil_grin is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 07:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It squeaks like a creaking bed in one of those banned ads.

I was thinking of doing a wheelie, but hadn't spent enough time with the vehicle to be confident of such stunts.
sqeaks --> WD40 -> No sqeaks. You can tell the person you borrowed it from that it was serviced.

Probably better not to try wheelies at this point of time

Quote:
Fun idea about the front camera. I should use it to show the person pushing me the front extremities instead. Everyone who pushes me, ends up underestimating how long this thing is and invariably bumps my legs against the lift wall. So I just move my legs aside and let the footrest take the hit.
And that use case can only come from experience, that's a common phenomenon, have seen quite a few people bumping the wheelchairs front. Hope the camera helps.

Quote:
You should have seen the look on people's faces in the hospital when I was bored waiting for the doctor and attempting to drift.
that would've been a much needed break for those lucky folks.

Quote:
Large wheels, or rather, low profile tyres = bad ride quality. Especially when your suspension doesn't have any springs.
Yup, more like a racecar setup from olden days, corners flat. Now you have seen the other end of low profiles.
Those look like runflats right? So you already have BMW level kit.

Glad to see you are back on the roads, you can review your automatic in the meantime
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 10:01   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: My new four wheeler, a wheelchair!

A great reminder that you're out-of-service only if you make it so. Kudos for living the fun side of the situation.

A few colleagues at work have motorized ones to get around the building, complete with joystick controls and even a horn to beep traffic out of the way!

RWD, quick and fun. One chap who sits a few cubicles over appears to be a little petrol (electric?) head to boot.

'Wicked ride man!'

'I know, right? Time for coffee. Beep beep!'

P.S. Workplace musings are obviously pre-COVID. I hope the borrow-your-office-gear rules applied to his little electric rocket too.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th April 2021 at 10:05.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 22:31   #14
BHPian

Wishing you a speedy recovery Samir anna.

Amazing write up, kept laughing throughout the thread. Congratulations on the promotion to the walker.

I'm sure you'll be back driving MTs in no time.

Hilarious thread
Old 12th April 2021, 23:07   #15
Team-BHP Support

One of the most inappropriate thing to say on this thread is wishing many years of trouble-free service.

Buddy, this is a practical choice for now - but we hope to see you in better set of wheels soon!

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th April 2021 at 23:09.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks