Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2021, 19:06   #61
BHPian

Re: How to buy a car that your spouse wants

Congratulations to you and your wife! And I love your writing style, its very original!
nutcracker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 19:47   #62
BHPian

Congratulations on your E class, wishing you a lot of happy kilometers! Loved your writing style and humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
One of the biggest problems with liking cars, is that people want your opinion on what car they should buy.

The opinion itself isn’t a problem, it’s the fact that no one wants an informed suggestion. No sirree, what they want is for you to rubberstamp their opinion with your ‘automotive enthusiast’ seal of approval. Whether it’s a family of four who wants a reliable car and buys a used Tata Safari, or a young man who fancies himself an enthusiast and ‘luvz’ the i20 Sportz, you’re trapped. Just smile and nod.
Unfortunately true. What I've also observed is that it's the people closer to you who want you to agree to their choices. The ones not closely related to you (work colleague/distant friend) is more likely to listen to and consider your opinion/feedback than the one who are close to you. Over the time, I've learnt to "smile and nod" in the correct situation.

Whenever a relative of this type comes up with "car advice", my first question is "what car do you have in mind"?
govindremesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 20:01   #63
BHPian

Congratulations!!
Enjoyed reading your thread. It was hilarious

The Mercedes E class is on a different league
No other car can match it’s comfort and ride quality at that price range.
We had test driven the E 220d one year back. And we were blown away from the driving experience, and comfort and insulation level. Despite lacking Airmatic suspension it was floating on the Tarmac.
The only sound inside the cabin was my hand slipping through the leather steering wheel.
It was a complete business class inside.
The E stands for Elegance. And Class - Every class of Mercedes is a Class on it’s own.
So is every model of E class ; and every model of Mercedes Benz.
Wish you and your wife safe and happy journey.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 20:08   #64
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car! It's truly a great machine. Wish you many safe miles.

Looking forward to more posts.
motorotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 20:30   #65
BHPian

Literally you are a hen pecked husband.

Thoroughly enjoyed your write up. I have to say brilliant choice by your better half, I always knew generally women are correct most times especially our wives. Husbands who understand this fact live longer. They indeed make better decisions consistently (although it is difficult for men to fathom the logic behind it).

I should admit that I made my car purchase decision with oversight and guidance from MW.

Between learnt a lot of new words from your write up. Cheers!
Godzilla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 21:41   #66
BHPian

The writing style has been aptly appreciated in the previous comments covering everything from the interactions, to the hen & even to the warnings by the bystanders.

However, I would like to appreciate the Wodehouse-ish telling of the fate of the hen (uncle decided to have curry !!)

That really had me in splits if I hadn’t already been by the punchline after punchline style of storytelling. I do believe that your writing style made it more enjoyable than how it would’ve actually played out in reality.

Last edited by ScorpioYadav : 15th June 2021 at 21:42. Reason: Added a comma & a plural for better understanding.
ScorpioYadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 06:29   #67
BHPian

What a lovely story! Loved reading it! Many congratulations! My wife also has developed a great affinity for the Three Pointed Star, so saving up!
Capt. Shyam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 08:27   #68
BHPian

You have a well developed sense of humour. No wonder you get what you want! Good fun reading and congrats on the acquisition. Many happy hours with it!
ashokabs is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:55   #69
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on getting the E-Class. That is one hell of a car indeed.

It was truly an enjoyable read The content was well laid out with all the humor and read it one go. That E-class is indeed really long and is definitely worth calling it a yacht. Looking forward to more of your threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
In the Octavia, I looked like someone driving his parents’ car. In this, I look like the helper at your local FNG that services Germans, who’s taking it out for a test drive. Once I was told to park properly, ‘nahi toh owner ko batayenge’.
This is so true and relatable !
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:59   #70
BHPian

Excellent writeup.

Enjoyed reading at one go. Wish MW great comfort in her limo & wish you get your hands on the wheels sometimes.
kkunal.shah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:26   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

What a fantastic thread @V1P3R. And an amazing upgrade from an Octavia to the E350d. Guess there is nothing else which is a genuine upgrade from the Octavia. The E350d is a truly fantastic car - the only crib I have heard about it is on the lack of boot space. Have fun - I assume despite all the facetiousness in your post, YW will let you drive it. And do keep us entertained with regular updates - though I must say you have set a very high benchmark to beat.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 18:53   #72
BHPian

wow ! that is some thread. I havn't enjoyed reading a ownership review so much in a long long time.you made my day. Congratulations on your new car !
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:38   #73
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car ! This sure is a piece of art. One of the best looking cars around, especially in that Cavansite Blue shade. There aren’t many e350ds around which makes it special. And also, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the post with the banter between you two . Wish you a lot of happy miles on this one !
NarediAni7518 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 21:46   #74
G-2

Fantastic write-up sir! Great to come back from another trying day at work and relax with the hilarious banter and lovely write-up! Thank you :-) Wishing you and your better half many a happy time with this car!
G-2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 21:51   #75
Team-BHP Support

Couldn’t control my laughter! Insane writing style dude. Loved it. Congratulations on the car. Drive safe!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed