Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 13:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

RIP.

Its a combination of factors. Drink but don't drive, drive but don't drink ! Both don't go together. Period ! Night driving is another factor. You can never ever predict the other guy. You might be a good driver, but you might have a nut coming down the wrong side of a four lane carriageway without any lights !!! High speeds at night time. Reaction time is already less during night times and higher the speeds, lower the reaction time. Lower visibility, lesser peripheral vision. Too many factors.

You can cut out a few by not drinking, driving during daytime, staying within tolerable speed limits.

Theory is so so easy !!!
Old 30th April 2007, 14:06   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

One thing good that has come out of this situation is that guys who were close to amudan have started to realize the importance of seatbelts ..
Apparently on impact with the pole his neck snapped on hitting the headrest .. One small cut on the forehead is all the injuries he had suffered ..

Having learnt it the hard way around after being in a toppled zen and seeing another couple of friends escape another horrific accident just because of seatbelts and racing seats we try to educate everyone to wear them .. Some listen some dont .. Even my parents wear seatbelts since my accident .. We dont drive until the front occupants are buckled up no matter how much they laugh or crib .. Such small things go a long way to help save lives ..

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st May 2007 at 21:36. Reason: Edited on request
Old 30th April 2007, 14:16   #48
BHPian

for last one month i m hearing of so many young deaths that it just gets me back to depression. there are so many questions without any answers.

everything has its own use and seatbelts also are made for safety of the driver and passengers only. but these kids dont take life seriously and just have chalega attitude.

i hope that their souls rest in peace and many others learn from this mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

P.S. I feel the Govt. should have auto's/taxi's with subsidised rates posted outside bar's and club's so ppl can go home without any risk to anyone. Plus there is no hassles of cops or auto's / taxi's negotiating. (wudnt know if this wud work, i once complained to a cop in blore when none of the autos were willing to drop me home. I said i am following the rules and respecting the law by not drinking n driving, but now how do i get home? Bugger just nodded and went away. @$$hole !!!)
if anybody can afford a drink then why do they need cabs with subsidied rates. they can well afford to go home in a cab.

but i surely liked your discipline. hats off to u.

Mansi

Last edited by manaa45 : 30th April 2007 at 14:17.
Old 30th April 2007, 14:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
if anybody can afford a drink then why do they need cabs with subsidied rates. they can well afford to go home in a cab.
Well its not that someone who drinks cannot afford a cab. I have paid more than double the normal rates (auto) when i had to return home after a night out. And i have no qualms about it... i rather pay lil more than endanger lives, get hassled by cops, other errant drivers, etc.

Its not monetary here but merely to motivate people to use alternate transport. The least which can be done is have cabs/auto's stationed in the vicinity of the bar/pub. These should be dedicated for the person who is under the influence. This would greatly help me and others like me. I feel accidents due to DUI would come down if this is implemented.
Old 30th April 2007, 14:27   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post

but these kids dont take life seriously and just have chalega attitude.

Mansi
I wouldn't quite agree on this .. Infact from personal experience I can say that its the elders that dont listen .. My parents for example used to crib , but now they wear seatbelts after my accident .. My uncles , aunts are the ones who never listen .. All they can say is "all these years we have survived without them , we will continue to do so" .. Its easy to shout at friends and make them understand , or make sure that one doesn't drive until they are buckled up .. With elders you can't do either .. Or else they will ask you to move over and take the wheel ..

Infact taking a cab or an auto sounds safe .. But has anyone realized its these guys who are drunk in the first place ??

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 30th April 2007 at 14:29.
Old 30th April 2007, 14:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The least which can be done is have cabs/auto's stationed in the vicinity of the bar/pub. These should be dedicated for the person who is under the influence. This would greatly help me and others like me. I feel accidents due to DUI would come down if this is implemented.
You are in the miniscule minority here. I dont even think that is a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Infact taking a cab or an auto sounds safe .. But has anyone realized its these guys who are drunk in the first place ??
And if you make them wait outside a bar/pub, imagine what that would be like.
Old 30th April 2007, 14:43   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Yup - like a kid in a toy store or a junkie in Afghanistan
Old 30th April 2007, 14:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I wouldn't quite agree on this .. Infact from personal experience I can say that its the elders that dont listen .. My parents for example used to crib , but now they wear seatbelts after my accident .. My uncles , aunts are the ones who never listen .. All they can say is "all these years we have survived without them , we will continue to do so" .. Its easy to shout at friends and make them understand , or make sure that one doesn't drive until they are buckled up .. With elders you can't do either .. Or else they will ask you to move over and take the wheel ..

i agree with you that parents dont make their kids understand the value of life. i have mentioned this point in my post of similar thread of mumbai accident(the andheri versova one)

i made this statement to highlight the i-care-a damn attitude.

i may confess that i hated wearing seatbelts but did realise the importance of wearing them. same with helmets and i always forced my hubby and my brother in laws to wear it at all times. not wearing a helmet even when it was available has cost my brother in law his life and this is why i have just become more apprehensive now.

i have learnt to drive from my father but i know traffic rules better then what is being taught at driving schools. Discipline is what need to be inculcated while letting the kids drive.

Mansi
Old 30th April 2007, 15:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Oops... i hadn't thought of that.
Old 1st May 2007, 08:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. but i know traffic rules better then what is being taught at driving schools ..
These schools are in the business of getting people licences. Put a person through their classes, then put them on the road - they are all at sea.

One factor that could have contributed to the crash is that the driver did not know the road. It is always dangerous to drive that fast, and even more so on un-known roads.
Old 1st May 2007, 15:30   #56
BANNED

Got these pics in the mail..

The pole the car hit on:

This is the blind curve,the straight leads to the town and right is the highway leading to Mysore

The car after the accident:

Old 1st May 2007, 15:51   #57
Team-BHP Support

The skid marks
Old 1st May 2007, 15:51   #58
BHPian

those pictures looks shocking may their souls rest in peace.
Old 1st May 2007, 15:53   #59
BHPian

I see Road STUDS here, Were they not flashing at the time for road guidance..!

And it seems clearly , that the control was lost at the intersection before the Pole..! Surely the Chap was not only speeding but Tipsy..Because even at a High speed curve, he would have tried to apply brake reducing the car speed, but the Pole is at a distance which could have been avoided by Braking and Alert driver, at the max the vehicle could have tipped over or done a High speed 360, but could have avoided the Pole Surely.

Look at Picture 1- See the approach and if he wanted to turn at a high speed also...It surely could not have taken so much of a deviation considering PS in the Skoda and Speed..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 1st May 2007 at 16:00.
Old 1st May 2007, 16:04   #60
Team-BHP Support

I have been in a similar situation in my indica, infact it was the first street experience I ever posted on this forum.
Even though the curve was even more blind, I was doing only around 90kmph(thankfully) so I did not end up going off the road. At speeds of 130-140kmph when you lose control then you can't do anything except pray that when you land you hit some soft bushes and not a hard pole.
Remember the Ford Ikon crash, such a pole sawed off the car separating the engine compartment from the body.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks