Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2004, 03:16   #1
BHPian

First of all let me point out that I'm looking ONLY for a Lancer, so even if the vtec is cheaper, I'm still going to go for the Lancer. To find out why, click here.

Color: White
Model: doesn't matter, i'll kit it up anyway.
Budget: hah, yeah right.:RL:
Max km: 40,000

Umm what else should i look for? Suggest, guys.

- Aalaap
Old 2nd September 2004, 12:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] so even if the vtec is cheaper, I'm still going to go for the Lancer.
Haha, looks like you are already familiar with our favorites.

No worries, Lancers a favorite of mine too. Here are a couple of pointers when going in for a Lancer.

1. Make ABSOLUTELY sure that you get a 2001 car or the whereabouts. Hindustan Motors steadily declined the overall quality of this car since 2002 with huge amounts of indigenisation. Whereas the older Lancers were creme de la creme when it comes to fit and finish, the new ones have uneven panel gaps, horrible plastics, rubber beadings etc.

2. You have mentioned 40000kms and keep it at that. The lower the better, and this is more so in the case of the Lancer.

3. Stick to a car only with a fully documented service history at an authorised outlet.

4. A little tip on finding out about accident damage. Call the previous owners car insurance company and ask them if any claims have been made. This one always helps.

5. If you arent too much familiar with Lancers, get it checked by a pro.

Good luck

GTO
Old 2nd September 2004, 20:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Haha, looks like you are already familiar with our favorites.
Yeah, I read a few posts and made it a point to be clear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]1. Make ABSOLUTELY sure that you get a 2001 car or the whereabouts....
Heh, I was actually thinking 99 or 2000 .. can't really afford anything newer than that! :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]2. You have mentioned 40000kms and keep it at that. The lower the better, and this is more so in the case of the Lancer.
Obviously the lower the better, but it also means a higher price. In my shoestring budget, i probably wont get anything less than 40k km done.

About four or five months ago, I saw this silver 99 GLXi at JMD Motors, Khar. It was only 26k km done, had good rims (ok looking ones, but alloys nevertheless) and a cd-changer system as perks. I drove it around, and I loved every bit of the ride. A friend accompanied me, and he also quite loved it. He drives a dark green 98 1.5 EXiS and I guess he'd know if there was anything wrong as far as driving comfort is concerned. Asking was 3.75, and he came down to 3.6 without me even trying to bargain. But dad said, no, wait and look around a little more. It was the 3nd Lancer I had seen since I started looking around for one, so I guess what he suggested was right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Stick to a car only with a fully documented service history at an authorised outlet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]A little tip on finding out about accident damage. Call the previous owners car insurance company and ask them if any claims have been made. This one always helps.
These are good tips .. I'll keep them in mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]If you arent too much familiar with Lancers, get it checked by a pro.
Of course, you guys are here to help

Keep the suggestions coming in!

- Aalaap
Old 2nd September 2004, 22:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey aalaap

from today mee too on a lancer hunt!!!

before the hyundai sonata , we had a 1999 model green lancer diesel, did almost 70k in it, before selling it off for 5.45 l!!!!

the car has again changed hands(thus the third owner) after finishing 1 lac kms!

now due to some reasons dad's searching for the car again!!!!!11 and this is what is said"aadit if you find ac 6(that's it's reg no!!!) you can use the car beta"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so all hyd guys if u doo see a green lancer with ap reg no ac 6,or know the owner, pleeeassee contact me!!

before the car could been see regualry beside the merc showroom at lakdi ka pool, now i see it reguarly in jubliee and banjara hills but unable to catch it
Old 2nd September 2004, 22:19   #5
BHPian

5.45 for a 99 with >1 lac km What did that car have? each and every accessory listed in NFSU2 ?
:~O

Okay, however embarrassing this may get .. My budget is really not more than 2.5 or 2.75 at max. Trading in my 99 zen (50k km done) should get me about 1.0, so i need to cough up the rest of the 1.5 or 1.75 for it.

Go ahead, laugh.
<angry>

- Aalaap
Old 2nd September 2004, 22:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

hey alaap, u got me wrong, we sold the car way back in 2001 for 5.45l, it had around 67k to be presice then(the demand for lancer was very high, pre skoda days)

according to a known person, the car had done about 1 lac kms and was sold for abt 2.90l( post skoda days, no demand for lancer)

ps:i live in hyd not mumbai, here diesels rule and have a greater resale value

Old 2nd September 2004, 22:53   #7
BHPian

Ahh.. i thought u sold it recently and I guess that's a bloody crazy price to pay at this day and age.

Guys, what are the pros and cons of buying a used diesel Lancer? I have been told that diesels have a lesser resale value here because the maintenance goes up.

I know about the performance of the D variants not being comparable to the I's, but lemme tell you I'm not so much into performance as I am into looks and audio. I want a stock white/red 99/00 GLX that i'll kit up piece by piece like Tommi's EVO5/6. Then I'll get my favorite pioneer deh-p8450 and a nice set of subs. But apart from the body and audio upgrades, I doubt i'll do anything else. Maybe something to the muffler that makes it sound a tad bit different than the regular cars - a deeper heavier engine sound, not really an irritating screeching and piercingly loud exhaust that some cars have. Neons. That's about it. I'm happy with the standard upto 100kmph speed that i'll get from it.

I absolutely loved pulling upto 140kmph on the expressway (dad did 155) in my (gasp!) ZEN, but I rarely drive down to pune, so its something I'm willing to sacrifice..

Anyway, what's the max a stock GLXi or GLXd can go?

- Aalaap
Old 2nd September 2004, 23:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

yo aalaap, stick to the petrol
we took the diesel at that time,coz my dad roamed a lottttt on business work
Old 2nd September 2004, 23:12   #9
BHPian

lol that was short. Ok I'll take your word for it

My running is reallllly low. Mahim to Bandra/Dadar and back. Occasionally the trip to town, and sometimes pune.

- Aalaap
Old 2nd September 2004, 23:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

u should get a good lancer in that range, atleast in hyd we do, we planned to buy a used lancer petrol for abt 2.5l and put in a brand new lancer diesel enigne( hm dealer with the installation gave the estimate for 1lac) so for around 4 lacs we have a virtullay new lancer!
Old 3rd September 2004, 00:11   #11
BHPian

Ahhh sounds great!

Now all I need is 1.5 lac ..lol.

- Aalaap
Old 4th September 2004, 22:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well IMO a good stock 99glxi would cost you around 2.9L.
And a 2000glxi would be around 3.4L approx.
Dont contact all these bigtime dealers.They obviously have thier margin of 10-15Gs.Start with the small 1z.
Why dont you contact a few auto designers like Rio etc.Maybe they will have something to suit your taste.All kitted up n stuff.The way you want it to be.
Try them out.
Cya.
Old 26th November 2004, 16:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

hey

one of my friendss is interested in buying a lancer not older than 2002

but he wants a v low mileage not more than 25 k if poss

he also doesnt mind gettin a 2002+ city if it come under the same budget but with the same mileage

his budget is approx 4 - 4 .5 lakhs....

will it be poss to get a lancer or city for around tht much and whr should he search .....dealers ...news papers ...??
Old 26th November 2004, 17:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

maybe a 2001 city but not 2002 model
Old 26th November 2004, 17:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey guys

i jus had one question.....whts more expensive to mentain a lancer or a city ....i mean cost of parts and cost of serviceing from authorized service stations......
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks