Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2007, 16:23   #16
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Expressway is designed for high speed driving. Slowing down significantly below the avg. speeds of vehicles on an expressway can be just as dangerous as overspeeding.
Realistically.
  1. The avg. speed on our expressway is 85 km/h
    with trucks doing 60-65 km/h and
    less than 4% vehicles being cars with over 90 bhp.
    So, what is speeding and what is slowing down w.r.t 85 km/h?
  2. And between 01:00 am and 03:00 am, one is highly likely to be
    the very rare vehicle on the expressway, sleepy and one's own worst enemy.
Old 3rd May 2007, 16:51   #17
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Realistically.

The avg. speed on our expressway is 85 km/hwith trucks doing 60-65 km/h and less than 4% vehicles being cars with over 90 bhp. So, what is speeding and what is slowing down w.r.t 85 km/h
Perhaps one should break this up as follows. In the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, the avg. speed in the slow (left) lane could be 60-65 km/h with cars keeping away from this lane. In the middle lane the avg. speed is likely to be around 80-90 km/h. In the fast (right) lane I expect the avg. speed to be above 110 km/h. So if one is in the fast lane, it would not be wise to move on serenely at 90 km/h; even if one is doing a steady 110 km/h in the fast lane one would get overtaken from the left more often than not. Especially in a country like Malaysia with expensive fast cars and wide roads, that could be a dangerously low speed for the fast lane.
Old 3rd May 2007, 17:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Especially in a country like Malaysia with expensive fast cars and wide roads, that could be a dangerously low speed for the fast lane.
And where did we get this piece of information from? About how fast or slow he was I mean?
Old 3rd May 2007, 17:08   #19
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
And where did we get this piece of information from? About how fast or slow he was I mean?
I was talking in general terms about Expressway speeds. I do not know what speed this particular individual was doing when the accident happened. And I don't know if speed limits are strictly enforced in Malaysian Expressways and what those speed limits might be; I was just guessing that 110 km/h might not be a good enough speed to steadily maintain on the fast lane.
Old 3rd May 2007, 17:45   #20
BANNED

so sad..hope she celebrated her last birthday nicely :(.

MAY THEIR SOLE REST IN PEACE.....
Old 3rd May 2007, 18:13   #21
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the fast (right) lane I expect the avg. speed to be above 110 km/h.
Living five days in Aundh and two in Chembur, I have done the expressway, 50 roundtrips each year -- the past year in my Baleno.

Have seen Octavias gun down the "fast" lane at 180 km/h.
But only in rare patches. Still it is a challenge to keep up anything more than 100 km/h because, most expressway users don't understand nor car for a difference between lanes.

I have often encountered stubborn Innovas and Scorpios sitting in the rightmost lane at 95-100 km/h.

Quote:
Especially in a country like Malaysia with expensive fast cars and wide roads, that could be a dangerously low speed for the fast lane.
Having lived in Singapore, I've driven from Johor Bahru to the Genting highlands via Kuala Lumpur several times.

Malaysia's Federal Highway (Route #2) between Klang and Kuala Lumpur has more lanes than the Bombay-Pune expressway. The black car in the foreground is a Proton.

The speed limit on Malaysian expressways is a strictly enforced 110 km/h. There are police cameras and speed traps and you can receive a police fine by post if a camera catches you speeding.

But, BTW we are overlooking a key fact. These kids (God rest their souls) undertook their journey at an hour when the natural human activity is deep sleep. That by itself is a strong contributor to many accidents.

Ram
Old 3rd May 2007, 18:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But, BTW we are overlooking a key fact. These kids (God rest their souls) undertook their journey at an hour when the natural human activity is deep sleep. That by itself is a strong contributor to many accidents.

Ram
Ram, why did these kids lose control of the car in the first place? Driver dozed off?
Old 4th May 2007, 00:49   #23
BHPian

May peace be with their parents!!!
Young drivers focus seem to be on speed, rather than control...... but it striked them... too young!!!

Please prepare yourself before, during and after long drives
-> Good sleep
-> An attentive and calm mind
-> Good A/C to keep your head cool
-> Music that you love during the drive
Old 4th May 2007, 09:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tarry awhile to introspect a little, typeOnegative.
If indifference is the smart option, whence the need to throw comments about threads, one is indifferent to?
I seemed to have rubbed you the wrong way, ram. That was not my intention. The point is that I am tarrying to introspect too much. I wonder why?

Too many cases, too many young people dying. What is the point continuously highlighting that? Doesn't too much exposure deaden the pain to the point of indifference? Point to ponder isn't it?
Old 4th May 2007, 09:19   #25
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
The point is that I am tarrying to introspect too much. I wonder why?

Too many cases, too many young people dying. What is the point continuously highlighting that? Doesn't too much exposure deaden the pain to the point of indifference? Point to ponder isn't it?
No sweat. You have a valid point. Overexposure does deaden sensitivity and could be avoided.
Old 4th May 2007, 09:41   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have seen Octavias gun down the "fast" lane at 180 km/h.
But only in rare patches. Still it is a challenge to keep up anything more than 100 km/h because, most expressway users don't understand nor car for a difference between lanes.

I have often encountered stubborn Innovas and Scorpios sitting in the rightmost lane at 95-100 km/h.
Couldn't have put it better Ram. I feel 100kmph is the speed that you should try and maintain unless you have an emergency. I keep varying speeds between 80kmph to 120kmph and sometimes go faster for pure thrill.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks