Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2007, 21:56   #1
nbr
BHPian

Smooth tarmac turns FATAL

check this out, there have been lot of cases with this area near mangalore.

D A I J I W O R L D
Old 2nd May 2007, 22:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Interesting article, incorrect surfacing is posing a lot of problems at a lot of places. However, one thing is never pointed out is the highway-worthiness of the vehicles using the Highway (I am not saying this with respect to the pictured vehicles) regarding overall vehicle condition the tyres and general stuff like that.

Even doing the CF for my old 1100d was very disappointing a much badly maintained car would have gotten through.

When you have done the roads, make sure the worthy vehicles use them (no use saying that speed should be restricted)
Old 2nd May 2007, 23:21   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

NH-17 has always been a high risk zone for vehicles, those people really had it bad..I look at it this way,if you have a car that hits a 100kmh and then gets dicey with the road (obviously coz its stock rubber and various other reasons)stop accelerating and stay in the threshold.
Old 2nd May 2007, 23:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think I have been on this road. Samurai, is this the same road that goes past Moothmudi, Kundapur, etc? If so, the tarred roads allow some maniac driving by bus drivers, state transport, private transport and inter state transport. I have seen them driving cars and bikes off the road, literally. To meet their deadlines they slow down for nobody.
Old 3rd May 2007, 00:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

the Alto looks like its taken a sound beating. Wrecked isn't the word.

Well facts remain facts, like ported_head mentioned bus drivers drive like maniacs to meet their deadlines.No matter what the state of the roads are, they will continue to drive the same ways.
I must admit that I have driven the road from Kundapur -Trasi and beyond at high speeds with my friends just for those cheap thrills .
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would love to see the govt and the contractor sued for laying poor quality roads that can amount to so many accidents.

BTW Poor quality does not mean potholes alone. Like the article mentioned the rubber included in the tar has contributed to the mess.
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yes ported, this is the road you took. I take this road on a weekly basis. But then I ride on 195 Yokohamas.

Now I am not really sure rubber is to be blamed for this, I think people are just driving fast on a rarely available clean road.

Aren't all tyres made of rubber? But I can imagine why authorities would want to blame rubber. The rubber has been added to increase the life of the road, usually roads are laid such that they never survive the monsoon season. This rubber additive leads to roads with longer life, that means reduced income for contractors and PWD officials.
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Would rubber behave the same against rubber ? Might not. They might be right in saying its the rubber in the bitumen. Add some water to the other rubber and results could be a disaster from friction point of view.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks