Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2007, 11:11   #1
BHPian

Foreigner drives M800

There's an feature in Edmunds-Inside line about a foreigner taking a driving school lesson in Mumbai.

Taking Your Driving Test -- in India!

The article is predictably about cows, population and blaring horns - but what's amusing is the guy's apparent horror about the conditions on road. Welcome to India, Dude!
Old 4th May 2007, 11:53   #2
BHPian

Let us not waste hard disk space and bandwidth giving importance to such stuff creating special threads! What next, 'gora wiping butt Indian style' articles? Wonder when we will give up our colonial slavery mindset of focusing too much on what goras think about us.
Old 4th May 2007, 12:16   #3
BHPian

[quote=ggkg;428985 What next, 'gora wiping butt Indian style' articles?

Hahaha good one
Old 4th May 2007, 12:24   #4
BHPian

well said !!! y on earth shld we waste time talking abt goras .. damn with the goras
Old 4th May 2007, 12:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
Let us not waste hard disk space and bandwidth giving importance to such stuff creating special threads! What next, 'gora wiping butt Indian style' articles? Wonder when we will give up our colonial slavery mindset of focusing too much on what goras think about us.
Well, I havent seen too many foreigners at the wheels of a M800, hence the post. I'm sad to see it didnt tickle your fancy. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 4th May 2007, 13:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

On my very recent trip to Germany and switzerland,
I have seen-
M800, Alto,Zen,Santro,Safari,Swift,Getz
being driven on the streets there!!
Sure many of these are Made In India!! and exported.
India's Shining for sure.
I had seen HMT Lathes working in a worshop in Switzerland way back in 1975!!
We Do Produce VFMs dont we?? and we dont just copy!!
Old 4th May 2007, 13:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Are "Foreigners" very special human beings?
If we can drive the crap they make and not complain, what's the big deal in them driving our cars?

Quote:
The article is predictably about cows, population and blaring horns - but what's amusing is the guy's apparent horror about the conditions on road.
huh! Enough of mockery of Indians and India. Seen this stuff too much in BBC, Discovery etc. Give me a break!

Last edited by DCEite : 4th May 2007 at 13:35.
Old 4th May 2007, 13:39   #8
Team-BHP Support

Fact is, we have grown accustomed to the rubbish we call roads here. What's wrong in getting an outside perspective on things as well. Albeit in a light mannered way.
Old 4th May 2007, 14:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Fact is, we have grown accustomed to the rubbish we call roads here. What's wrong in getting an outside perspective on things as well. Albeit in a light mannered way.
Agree here. This is the reason that instead of cleaning the garbage every time some outside entity says "Indian roads are full of garbage" we go all gung ho saying "Racist blah blah".
You don't shoot a messenger who brings bad news.
Wake up folks, things are not "shining" here except in advertisements, only the residents of the house can clean up the house, neighbors will just point out the garbage.
Old 4th May 2007, 14:40   #10
BHPian

No offense meant! The issue is not about the accuracy of the guys' remark or his right to make such remarks but about devoting a whole thread to it. Our roads are filth and it takes no genius to find that.

I suppose no car forum in US will devote a whole thread to an Indian writing about getting used to 'left hand drive' and having to follow wierd rules like following lane discipline, giving way to pedestrians and driving without drinking etc.

Perhaps we should have a general purpose adda thread to discuss such things..

Last edited by ggkg : 4th May 2007 at 14:44. Reason: minor edit
Old 4th May 2007, 14:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
Perhaps we should have a general purpose adda thread to discuss such things..
Which is exactly why its in the 'Shifting Gears' section, and not in 'The Indian Car Scene'.
Old 4th May 2007, 15:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Agree here. This is the reason that instead of cleaning the garbage every time some outside entity says "Indian roads are full of garbage" we go all gung ho saying "Racist blah blah".
You don't shoot a messenger who brings bad news.
Wake up folks, things are not "shining" here except in advertisements, only the residents of the house can clean up the house, neighbors will just point out the garbage.
This is not about "shining India" or racism. We all know how much is India shining anyways, the over-population, pollution, corruption, poverty and all that speaks for itself.

But the question is, do we really require a foreigner to enlighten us about our problems? Aren't the 1,095,351,995 (July 2006 est.) people of India capable of raising their voice and dealing with their own problems?

Most of these people (the phoreigners) have more to do with creating sensation and amusement amongst their own countrymen about India and to create an image of a "backward nation", rather than to make us aware of our problems.

Last edited by DCEite : 4th May 2007 at 15:24.
Old 4th May 2007, 15:25   #13
BHPian

It was my mistake - I had initially posted in the Indian car scene section.
I thought this was interesting because, I see a lot of westerners cribbing in their forums about horrific traffic conditions in their home places; I've often wanted to ask them to come to India, and experience for themselves what "horrific" traffic conditions mean, and realize how well-off they are. Well, somebody did...
Old 5th May 2007, 11:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

I cought This Maruti 800 in poland. MARUTI was written on steering in 'Devnagri'.

Old 5th May 2007, 11:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
MARUTI was written on steering in 'Devnagri'.
All pre-MPFI carb Maruti's had Maruti written in Hindi on the steering wheel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks