Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2021, 17:03   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Middle-aged gents & heart attacks | Bird Automotive boss passes away at just 48

I wouldn't generalize these heart attacks related to just physical workout. For someone to get a heart attack just because of their physical workout, they should have been doing extreme physical workouts which resulted in heart rate staying above the max heart rate for prolonged periods of time.

A normal gym routine of running on a treadmill or doing weights cannot result in such extreme conditions unless they involved in activities like sustained sprints on the treadmill or lifting extreme weights without any recovery between sets etc. There is no clear indication if they were performing such extreme activites before their heart attacks.

But one thing that is common to both is that they were in very high positions in their professional life which would have resulted in very long working hours, high stress and low sleep. In my opinion, that should be the key reason for the heart attacks. Stress + lack of sleep + physical workout is a bad combination.

Sleep and stress management is very important for a long healthy life. A minimum of 7 hours of sleep is a must even if one is not physically active. If a person is physically active, then at least 8 hours (sometimes even more) of sleep is a must. A combination of lack of sleep and high physical activity can result in high levels of cortisol and adrenalin which is very bad for heart.

Of course, age also plays a big role. As one gets above 40, it is all the more important to keep workout intensities monitored to keep the heart rate under control, get enough sleep and give enough time for recovery. Not taking care of any of these factors is bad for health.

At 48, I do perform high intensity workouts. But I always wear a heart strap and keep monitoring my heart rate and adjust the intensities to keep the heart rate well under max rate and increase my rest between sets to give proper recovery. I limit high intensity workouts to 3 days a week with 2 days of recovery workouts like Yoga and stretching and 2 days of complete rest. And I make sure I get minimum of 8 hours of sleep at least 5 days a week, and not less than 6 hours on any day. My resting heart rate is between 48 to 55 compared to 80+ when I was 40.

In summary, if one takes takes care of the intensity of workouts, provides enough recovery between workouts, gets enough sleep and manages stress, that should be good to lead a long healthy and fit life.
graaja is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 17:48   #47
BHPian

Re: Middle-aged gents & heart attacks | Bird Automotive boss passes away at just 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Of course, age also plays a big role. As one gets above 40, it is all the more important to keep workout intensities monitored to keep the heart rate under control, get enough sleep and give enough time for recovery.
How do you find the max heart rate for a person? Is there a well accepted formula?
Old 12th June 2021, 18:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:
In summary, if one takes takes care of the intensity of workouts, provides enough recovery between workouts, gets enough sleep and manages stress, that should be good to lead a long healthy and fit life.
Excellent advice.

I had a really active life as a kid all the way into college playing all kinds of sports well enough to be considered competitive. Now well into my 50's I get my rush from playing semi-serious tennis 3-4 times a week, giving my body one day to recover. I now find that if I don't excercise for a few days I start feeling lethargic, eat more, sleep more, and generally feel more stressed. The lockdowns completely killed my routine, and with no inclination for any other form of excercise I was feeling miserable. I finally forced myself to start brisk walking up and down my lane for short periods, which has now become two 30-40 min sessions morning and evening.

The important point is knowing when to stop. Some days, playing tennis or walking I feel like playing one more set or walking an extra 15mins in 'josh' of the moment, but I have learnt to listen to my grey cells and ignore my muscles which I think is the smart thing to do.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 18:37   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
How do you find the max heart rate for a person? Is there a well accepted formula?
There is a general formula which is <220 - age>. So for someone who is 40 years old, max heart rate would be 180. But this is a very general rule and for people who are used to endurance workouts, it can be a little more than what this formula gives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
The lockdowns completely killed my routine, and with no inclination for any other form of excercise I was feeling miserable. I finally forced myself to start brisk walking up and down my lane for short periods, which has now become two 30-40 min sessions morning and evening.
Why don't you try indoor workouts? Lots of options like Yoga, body weight strength training, strength training with minimum equipment like kettlebells, resistance bands etc. There are lots of YouTube videos that can be played on TV and followed along in all these categories.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 18:54   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you try indoor workouts? Lots of options like Yoga, body weight strength training, strength training with minimum equipment like kettlebells, resistance bands etc. There are lots of YouTube videos that can be played on TV and followed along in all these categories.
Believe you me, I tried, but It's just not my thing. It just doesn't keep me mentally and physically occupied, which means loosing interest, which means end of activity. I have just about trained my body and mind to accept walking as an alternative.

Thanks for the suggestions.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 19:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Thumb rule is 220 minus your age. This is max heart rate. For moderate intensity exersise, you must not go beyond 70% of your max/peak heart rate. For high intensity workout you should maintain within 75/80% of your peak heart rate.
More important is your recovery time. The quicker your heart rate falls after your workout, the healthier your system is.

More here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...ing%20exercise.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 20:05   #52
BHPian

Sad to see people in 40’s departs due to stress.

My personal experience

Somehow try to minimize personal and official stress and you’ll see it yourself. I’m 45 this year and on BP medication for the past 16 years. I asked my doctor whether I can stop the pills, but he insists me to continue lifelong and don’t want to take any chances, else it might have adverse impact. All possible investigations have been done and by god’s grace nothing physical and all leads to stress, i know it very well.

I monitor my BP at least five times a day using digital BP meter, whenever I feel less stressed, i see the difference in the reading.

Due to various factors my personal stress will linger around and only way out is a pill a day and workout for 20 to 30 minutes during weekdays and close to an hour during weekends, not sure whether I can lead a stress free life without pills, but I’ll keep trying.
glovins2004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 20:58   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Stress is a major factor in early deaths. Sadly we are made to run a cut-throat rat race, irrespective of the industry you belong to.

In my humble opinion, we need to have atleast an hour everyday for ourselves(meditation/reading/exercise) and a couple of hours to spend with our family. How many of us actually talk with our family members everyday without our gadgets distracting us?

Commitments, forced upon ourselves to match others - Be it housing loan or a car loan or credit card debt. Most of us are forced to stay in jobs that kill us slowly everyday, by the stress or by the toxic environment/culture of the company or by overloading us with unrealistic targets and deadlines.

Exercise is essential. It's sad that exercise gets bad rep because of incidents where people die in the gym. It's not just the exercise intensity. It's the built up stress and the physical exertion added to it.

The simplest exercise is the best - Walking

Medium pace walking, 30 to 45 minutes a day can be a blessing. It helps with weight management, blood pressure regulation, bones and joints health and aids mental health too.

People who have not been active previously, don't fall for fake social media fitness trainers and jump right away into HIIT or other intense strength training practices. Be gradual with exercises and work your way up.

And another important thing- sleep!
8 hours is what we should aim at.

Moderate exercise + good night's sleep + balanced nutrition goes a long way in increasing longevity.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th June 2021 at 23:30. Reason: as requested
PrasannaDhana is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 01:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

The main problem is food. Specifically:
  1. Processed food
  2. Excess salt & sugar
  3. Meat & Dairy made through industrial farming
  4. Increased pollution & chemicals we're exposed to

Along with this, lack of exercise, sleep, and higher stress, it is no surprise that people are suffering a lot. Also, @graaja has written a beautiful thread on Intermittent fasting which I recommend everyone follow.

Also, here's a video interview by Dr. Esselstyn on how to reverse heart disease:

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 13th June 2021 at 01:14.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 06:23   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Heart attacks can happen to anyone - not just middle aged gents who push themselves too hard after a lifetime of no exercise, but even talented, Serie A winning, 29 year old mid fielders with no history of illness

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/83466661.cms

So take reasonable precautions, listen to your body at all times, and hope for the best.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 07:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

And here’s what Dr Devi Shetty had to say after another recent celebrity episode:-
Quote:
It doesn't matter how fit you are, unless you go through a preventive check-up at least once in a year or once in two years, none of us are spared from this episode
The celebrity is none other Sourav Ganguly, who suffered a blackout after a mild chest pain during a workout. (News)

My takeaway from this thread plus what’s out there : sleep well + be active age-appropriate physically + immerse in something that takes your mind off periodically + curate one’s ambition levels over time + preventive regular check-ups.

Take care, folks.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 09:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

I’ll turn 50 in some months. I used to be a good sports person right through my school days. College was a bit slack, thanks to Studies and assignments and projects and stuff.

Once I started working, I forgot what being fit meant. The indulgence took over. Doing well in the career and being in senior roles meant that the addiction was seeping in.

I was 42 and was racing up, until the moment I woke up staring at some curtains on the side and a ceiling on the top and some stuff attached to my body. Had no idea that I had passed out at office around 7 pm, I woke up at 10. The doctor said the BP was too high, too dangerous. I was prescribed a BP medicine for daily consumption.

I thank my stars that I felt ok. I wanted to drive home that night from the hospital, but I wasn’t allowed to.

The wife got me a membership at Talwalkars the same week. Stepping into a gym for the very first time can give you shivers. Thankfully my trainer was fantastic. Never pushed me. Never made me aspire for the packs. Focus was on exercise and nutrition and agility and mobility.

8 years on, I know what I can do and how much I can push myself. Though I aspired to run marathons and stuff, deep inside, I reconciled that I don’t want to. I don’t miss my daily dose of walking or cycling. I drew my boundaries and I make sure I sleep atleast 7 hours a day. It was clear that day when I was 42 that money and title and designation means nothing.

I opted out of the Rat race. First or last, you still are a rat once you finish the race. Not for me.

Learning - draw your boundary, be clear on priorities and balance out work and health and sleep.

Fingers crossed, I’m no longer taking the BP medicines. I know I’m on the heavier side still but it doesn’t trouble me. I am happy being and looking how I am.

Edit 1 -

It’s been a few months that I began my IF. I’ve stopped eating post 7 pm. I do have my daily morning coffee without sugar, and my first meal of the day is at 9 am. I know I can’t strictly follow the fasting schedule, but I do what I can tweak, and I don’t cheat myself.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 13th June 2021 at 10:04. Reason: Spelling
jkrishnakj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 10:46   #58
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes there is visible no rhyme or reason.

Back in 2014, my first cousin died of heart failure at his house, he was slightly younger than me. He was just 42 and no vices at all, didn't have money for it either. Since he was mildly autistic, he was not educated beyond high school, held no job and was simply taking care of his old mother. He was also taking care of the small farm, so he had enough physical workout on a daily basis, since his youth. No stress, no sedentary life, no heart disease in the family.

During his memorial service I was looking around and realized that over 90% of the his 20 odd first cousins were older than him, with bad diets, high stress jobs, and much older than him. Never found out why he passed away at 42.
Old 13th June 2021, 12:41   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Never found out why he passed away at 42.
Pre-existing heart condition since birth has to be a high probability, I think.

Autism definitely reduces longevity. Fully autistic individuals rarely cross their 30s.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 15:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
You can exercise, you can diet, you can do everything under sun for a healthy life. But your longevity won't exceed what is engraved in your genes. An obese person may live up to 90 years, where as a seemingly healthy person may die in his forties. There is no point in overdoing the so called healthy ways of life. The only thing which may help in this regard may be yearly health check ups.
This is not correct at all. Good eating habits and exercise will make you live a lot longer and healthier. Genes are only one part of the equation.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks