Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2007, 22:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
these are some configurations that are showcased as a concept, but most of these facilities may never see the light of the day in a commercial version, atleast on the ones flying to india.
Why not... If you are paying for it.they will.. Also most of the airlines like emirates, lufthansa, thai etc have complete privacy cabins in their first class...

Godfather
Old 7th May 2007, 22:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I read in a paper that only 3 airports in India can take these biggies - Delhi, Mumbai and Cochin
Yup, and soon Cochin will be the only airport in the country with a double-decker aerobridge for two-tier embarcation/disembarcation for the A380.

Though god knows when a commercial A380 flight will land at Cochin.
Old 7th May 2007, 23:57   #18
BANNED

In a very short future if air india express uses one for the infamous gulf-Kerala sector. Nowadays, Air Arabia operates with almost 100% seats occupied, I heard so.

A380 is indeed a huge aircraft and I am thinking of going to Mumbai to get a dekho of this giant.

Singapore airlines have the good reputation of introducing new creature comforts in the cabin area. We may also get to see some surprises on store soon from our very own Mallya.
Old 8th May 2007, 00:59   #19
SuperSyn

Do not be mislead by publicity shots. Anyone remember the publicity shots when 747 came out? Interiors will be only slightly more refined and no more spacious (in Y) than present layout in, say, 77W. The seats and IFE etc are, in any case, made by third party vendors. And there is only so much flexibility in which you can arrange them, particularly in Economy class. Do not expect any dramatic gains in pitch etc.

It will realistically seat 425-510 pax in typical three class layouts. Not 555 or whatever the idiots in Indian media are blabbering. Of course, you can always seat more, but there is only so much payload, and so range goes down.

And having 555 seats is one thing, the ability to fill them for a sustainable summer/winter Internaional ops quite another!

The range could be better, can't even do LAX/SFO to Hong-Kong, not all year. Let us wait for final numbers, though.

I still like this aircraft. I really do. Very capable wing and aerodynamics. Totally demolishes the 747 wing, and that is to be expected, just shows how much progress has been made in these decades. Just wish there weren't all those wiring problems that delayed the whalejet.

PS: Forget Vijay Mallya getting clearance through kids and whatnot to start a US operations. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Ever.

He is using it as leverage against Manmohan Singh, Purefool Patel and other retards in MOCA, DGCA etc.

All the same, the Indian government regulation prohibiting newer operators from international ops is criminal. No free/functional country in the world hinders its own private enterprise like this.

Oh, I am sure they will change the requirement....but only after collosal amounts of money have been transferred to European accounts of Maino and Co.

Old 8th May 2007, 03:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yup, and soon Cochin will be the only airport in the country with a double-decker aerobridge for two-tier embarcation/disembarcation for the A380.

I think Kerala will soon become number one in having higher ratio of number of Airports to land area of a state.

Last I heard is another proposed airport at Central Travancore by NRI's at Aaranmula.

So altogether now Trivandrum Intl Airport, Cochin Intl Airport, Calicut (Intl ? ) Airport.
Old 8th May 2007, 04:37   #21
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Either this plane will go down... ...as the most efficient... ...solution to earth's population problem
Priceless expression, theMAG !
Old 8th May 2007, 11:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Each economy class seat will also have it's own tv set in the front headrest.
I have already seen this in carriers like KF, Jet and Air India, in economy class of course.
Old 8th May 2007, 11:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
It will realistically seat 425-510 pax in typical three class layouts. Not 555 or whatever the idiots in Indian media are blabbering. Of course, you can always seat more, but there is only so much payload, and so range goes down. .
Airbus have allegedly tested the Aircraft with 524 passengers and 25 crew.

There is also a budget-airline version which will seat 800+ in full economy config. Airports better be ready to handle this kind of volume, because one landing will now be as big as 3-4 aircraft coming in together. Imagine the baggage issues!!!
Old 8th May 2007, 14:44   #24
BHPian

i cant even begin to imagine the boarding/disembarkation problems with 800 passengers. everytime i fly i wonder why everyone is in such a rush to get into the plane, its not like they are looking for the best seats.
to get out too, there is only one exit for the whole plane so people just stand in the plane waiting to exit for about 10mins.
this problem is going to be twice as bad with 800+ passengers!!!~
Old 8th May 2007, 14:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
It will realistically seat 425-510 pax in typical three class layouts. Not 555 or whatever the idiots in Indian media are blabbering.
555 number is/has come from Airbus themselves. Check out their website for more

Quote:
Totally demolishes the 747 wing
Can you elaborate a bit on this. Just dont go on trashing the 747. They are from different generations. Till now 747 ruled the long range skies. Some of the share is going to be taken shortly by A380 provided they get over their wiring problems
Old 8th May 2007, 15:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Cochin is preparing for A380 since Emirates/Gulf Air Hajj flights will be A380's in the future.

And Kingfisher is getting it for its international routes (when they recieve the OK from the DGCA.),KF is also getting the all new A350's .

Last edited by artofzen : 8th May 2007 at 15:22.
Old 8th May 2007, 15:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
PS: Forget Vijay Mallya getting clearance through kids and whatnot to start a US operations. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Ever.

He is using it as leverage against Manmohan Singh, Purefool Patel and other retards in MOCA, DGCA etc.

All the same, the Indian government regulation prohibiting newer operators from international ops is criminal. No free/functional country in the world hinders its own private enterprise like this.

Oh, I am sure they will change the requirement....but only after collosal amounts of money have been transferred to European accounts of Maino and Co.

The current Indian regulations stipulate that a domestic carrier should have a minimum of 5 years operational expertise before thay can fly international.Kingfisher is slated to recieve its first A380 only by 2010-2011 by which time they will have completed 5 years.Mr.Mallya is lobbying hard to make the 5 years period cut to 3 years so that when A350 in is inducted in 08-'09 it can be used for international Ops.

Anyways new DGCA rules have put in an extra clause which mandates only airlines with a certain amount of equity shall be allowed to operate international ops,which will prove to be a issue for Air Deccan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Till now 747 ruled the long range skies. Some of the share is going to be taken shortly by A380 provided they get over their wiring problems
Boeing is not looking at competing with A380 using B747.Both Boeing and Airbus are betting on two different strategies.Airbus believes that future air traffic will be between hub to hub (BOM-JFK) so everyone from tier 2 cities who wants to travel to JFK should travel to Mumbai and then board a A380 from there.

Wheras Boeing believes that Source to destination flights are the mantra for the future.That is why they are coming out with B787 dreamliner which will enable fuel efficient non-stop long haul flights.According to Boeing, people will prefer travelling COK-JFK rather than COK-BOM-JFK even if there is a substantial cost difference.

Last edited by artofzen : 8th May 2007 at 15:40.
Old 8th May 2007, 17:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

The A380 has landed in Mumbai. I was there to witness it. i stood at Kurla near the runway no. 27 and it landed at 15.30 sharp.

The aircraft is humognous. A gigantic wingspan. Nothing I have seen before comes close to this. It did one flyby and then the final landing

Putting up a video here of the fly by
Attached Files
File Type: 3gp 08052007.3gp (188.7 KB, 580 views)
Old 8th May 2007, 17:33   #29
Team-BHP Support

Dippy any pictures of the A380?
Old 8th May 2007, 17:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

No Kiran just this video. I was outside the runway fence with many media guys and other enthusiasts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks