Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2021, 18:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leela : My invention which did not change the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
@Red Terrano: Are you still doing the computers/readers? Or would still be interested do something like this?
A simple text-to-speech can be used to play any text from the computer. Blind can usually hear, so that would work. This technology was widely available by late 90s, which would have competed with RedTerrano's invention then. Some oldies here may remember Dragon NaturallySpeaking software which had both text-to-speech and speech recognition.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st June 2021 at 18:03.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 18:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for enlightening us with your invention, the "Leela" software and the story behind naming it as such. Nearly 20 years ago, it was very contemporary and had it been received well, hopefully many desirous and less abled people would have benefitted by its use.

Sadly, the circumstances were not in its favour and as per the Times of India report, your offer to charge only for the cost of the hardware was too good a proposition.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 19:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

RedTerrano, I enjoy reading your threads. This one however, is on a different level.

When I was younger, I spent a summer doing volunteer work with the the National Association for the Blind. MSFT had recently donated some expensive Braille printers, and it was my job to type out all the English school text books into MS Word, so that the printer could turn them into Braille copies. Of course, the issues like flattening existed even then. And the printers, being impact-type, created an unholy din next to me. Luckily, I was young, and my music was louder.

I wish there were more people like you, inventing things that made the world a better place for those who so desperately need it. Your invention may not have made you famous or much richer, but it is the world that is poorer for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Bow before me muggles.
I do, quite unreservedly.

Also, bonus points for the He-Man reference and the video.
v1p3r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 20:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Some oldies here may remember Dragon NaturallySpeaking software which had both text-to-speech and speech recognition.
Back then the software in vogue amongst the visually challenged folks, was Jaws. Needless to say the cost was prohibitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Sadly, the circumstances were not in its favour and as per the Times of India report, your offer to charge only for the cost of the hardware was too good a proposition.
I do not think the circumstances have changed much. After years of analysis I figured out my main problem was low price (a mere 4% of the braille printer). I won't write anything about the gory details, but believe me, corruption is extremely rampant in the Govt (of course) as well as the NGO world. This includes certain blind people as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
RedTerrano, I enjoy reading your threads. This one however, is on a different level.
Thank you.

Quote:
Luckily, I was young, and my music was louder.
Haha! Absolutely loved this line.

Quote:
Your invention may not have made you famous or much richer, but it is the world that is poorer for it.
True it did not bring me all the riches I had expected but it definitely got me my first job. Despite being not being a graduate, I managed to sneak into the industry!
More importantly, my grandma, was no longer alive when I made it to the news. Even then I know she knows, and is proud of me. What more can anyone want?

Quote:
I do, quite unreservedly.
Also, bonus points for the He-Man reference and the video.
Obviously the muggles reference was written in jest and not to be taken seriously. But thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

Last edited by RedTerrano : 21st June 2021 at 20:25.
RedTerrano is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 21:52   #20
PVS
BHPian

Truely inspiring RedTerrano, you live your life the way you want it to be and refuse to confirm to the norms. The way you figured out a problem statement and came up with a solution to address is it awesome indeed. Now this kind of experience, is truly priceless. Take a bow, and thanks for sharing your story with us. You remind of me of another inventor Chintakindi Mallesam, the inventor of the Lakshmi Aasu weaving machine.
PVS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:02   #21
BHPian

Kudos RedTerrano for your efforts. Learning is one thing but making your learning translate into a real project of this stature is something entirely different. This is where an entrepreneurial mind stands out as compared to the masses.

I had been a big fan of Yashwant Kanetkar's "Let us C" myself and I am sure like us many took baby steps into programming through it.

I often rate TLs with beautiful pictures on so many occasions, but this time its an honor to rate this thread 5 stars for showing us what the outcome can be if someone can be honest and dedicated towards channelizing their passion the right way.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Do you have any pictures of the mechanical assembly that helped brings those pins to the front? That must have been a fine assembly.

You contributed to a part of our society that is often ignored, even today. Only a person who is handicapped (in this case, can't see) can convey the joy of being able to read something. Your invention helped the blind. I can't Thank you enough for that.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Once upon a time I made the news.

I absolutely loved it. Truly, your work deserves more recognition for being smart and compassionate. Really inspiring and thought-provoking. You must get it patented and try your luck again. I'm sure 'Leela' will prove to be a game-changer in today's day and age.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire quote when responding

Last edited by ampere : 23rd June 2021 at 11:59.
mugen_pinaki27 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:29   #24
BHPian

Wow! This is awesome Red Terrano. You've turned an adversity into an opportunity despite the bottlenecks. I'm amazed to see the effort and perseverance you took to make this product for the less fortunate.

I wish I could take such bold steps for my projects at school. Nowadays what my generation people lack is the appetite for risk or to try something out of the box and the perseverance to make something happen.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Such a brilliant read. Felt the post to be incomplete. I was expecting the ToI article to give you the necessary marketing to be able to make this reach every corner of the world. Nonetheless, a great contribution! You have narrated your struggle and experience brilliantly.

Only if you don't mind answering: What was the Sukram scandal and what did it have to do with your business?

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd June 2021 at 14:27.
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:23   #26
BHPian

Congratulations RedTerrano on the amazing invention. You have eliminated one of the barriers that people with visual impairment face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
It would be nice if you can share exactly how a blind person would use it. Does it create a braille imprint on a sheet of paper converting what is on the PC screen and then the blind person can read the braille text?
V.Narayan
1) Hi V. Narayan. Braille devices are used by people who are deaf-blind also. They use refreshable braille display in combination with a screen reader.
2) If they want to read any website, then screen reader can output the text to the braille display, which they can then feel with their hands via touch.
3) Refreshable braille displays have a line of holes in the physical interface that allow small pins to come up and down to form braille characters. The screen reader sends a line of text to the refreshable braille display. Users read the text on that line, then press a button to go to the next line. The pins drop down, then come up in a new configuration to reflect the new line of text.
4) Braille displays can be attached to regular computers, and act as a supplement to the main computer keyboard. Users often switch between the main keyboard for typing and the braille display for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A simple text-to-speech can be used to play any text from the computer. Blind can usually hear, so that would work. This technology was widely available by late 90s, which would have competed with RedTerrano's invention then. Some oldies here may remember Dragon NaturallySpeaking software which had both text-to-speech and speech recognition.
1) Yes Samurai. Screen readers like JAWS, NVDA, TalkBack (Android), VoiceOver (Apple devices) are widely in use by poeple with disabilities. Now they can easily read, navigate, shop, interact with websites using these screen readers, provided the website needs to be made accessible. I use them to test websites to check whether they are accessible or not.
2) Dragon speech recognition software is still in use by people who are motor-impaired.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:45   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bow before me muggles.
Take a bow RedTerrano! What a wonderful device/software you made. And loved reading about the journey. A very engaging story-telling skill you've got too.

Congratulations (quite late!) for the wonderful achievement and for the exciting and enviable way you've led things. Very few make it to the news for humble and worthy causes. Thanks for sharing the story. Cheers!
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 23:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
Truely inspiring RedTerrano, you live your life the way you want it to be and refuse to confirm to the norms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Kudos RedTerrano for your efforts...
I often rate TLs with beautiful pictures on so many occasions, but this time its an honor to rate this thread 5 stars for showing us what the outcome can be if someone can be honest and dedicated towards channelizing their passion the right way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_pinaki27 View Post
I absolutely loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Wow! This is awesome Red Terrano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Only a person who is handicapped (in this case, can't see) can convey the joy of being able to read something. Your invention helped the blind. I can't Thank you enough for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Such a brilliant read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
Congratulations RedTerrano on the amazing invention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Take a bow RedTerrano!
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
What was the Sukram scandal and what did it have to do with your business?
He is a politician who was the telecom minister back then. He was caught hands elbow deep in corruption. After that Hon SC (if I remember correctly) ordered all telecom ministry payments to he halted until all documents were scrutinised and cleared. This caused 8-10 months of payment delays.
Almost 80% of my customers were vendors for telecom ministry. In fact one of the components I manufactured, was used in a sub assembly manufactured by my customer which in turn went into one of ISRO satellites. Anyway I was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and I just could not survive the payment delays. If my customers could not get their bills cleared from the Govt on time, they could not pay me on time. In the meanwhile I still had to pay my workers as well as the banks. Inevitably my life crumbled in front of my eyes within months.

The scam was unearthed circa 1996.
"Justice" was apparently delivered in 2011 as per this article.

https://www.firstpost.com/politics/1...be-135065.html
RedTerrano is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks