Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 14:52   #16
Team-BHP Support

Why do these sites not use lossless? Most of the stuff I see is lossy (MP3, AAC, etc...) any good lossless sites (Flac, Wavpack) out there?
Old 11th May 2007, 15:06   #17
BHPian

emusic is really good. As sam said they have a very unique collection.

The Indian classical stuff is worth a mention. (surprisingly good quality of classical stuff) . The only problem is they dont have a straight forward $.x per song ...some other subscription based method...so for people who like the kind of music, it is a killer price....

Kvish

Last edited by kvish : 11th May 2007 at 15:09.
Old 11th May 2007, 15:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
thanx SAM , this site rocks !
Welcome man, the site has some huge Electro tracks and some great progressive too. What i like most is the speed of the release.

@tsk, please do not misunderstand me. There are far fewer CD shops than there used to be, a few years ago. Simply because it is not a lucrative business anymore. Fewer and fewer people are buying original compact discs.That's all I'm saying. Music bosses make money from licensing, brands, live shows and many more. The money's at the top. I'm discussing music shops. CD stores.
For people like me that just like buying music on a CD it's getting harder to find.

@ported, I do understand that many cannot afford to buy CDs, but here we are talking about someone who is willing to use his credit card to buy music legally. So it's a different equation.

Please don't think I'm getting all high and mighty and anti-piratic here. I'm merely suggesting that one download music you can't buy off the shelf, that's all. If you can afford it. And it's only my opinion.
Old 11th May 2007, 16:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

Actually that argument is not true any more. Small shops were hit by Musicworld/Planet M/Landmark type of stores long before internet.
I remember a small shop on Church street BLR(Millenium?). That guy has really nice classics, but hardly any customers because of Planet M and Musicworld.
So buying from these stores is not going to help anyone. They stock only popular new age music
Old 11th May 2007, 17:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

How is URGE | Download URGE for Free | Try URGE All Access To Go music subscription free for 14 days ? I think its promoted by MTV and Microsoft.

Last edited by spadival : 11th May 2007 at 17:12.
Old 11th May 2007, 17:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Small shops were hit by Musicworld/Planet M/Landmark type of stores long before internet.
True, in India.

Those were the days in the 80s & even early nineties when there was no choice when it came to buying music, the sound & tape quality in all the legal EMI, HMV, Magnasound (Magnasound did release some wonderful music) kind of cassettes were not even fit for the dustbin. Play them once on your tape deck & you will have to clean clean clean the head. One had to know good friends/family abroad & ask them to carry our favourite albums. Me, i had even recorded music from AIR(FM & MW), BBC & Radio Australia (In SW), so you know how that sound quality would be. Landmark, PlanetM & Music World have totally changed that. The first time i saw the music section in these places, i was dumbfounded, i couldn't believe there was so much choice now in india. even if your particular album was not available, they make sure you get it on order. There are always people who buy their CDs from here & then there are some other people like who prefer to pick & choose the songs they need. The wheel has come a full round.
Old 11th May 2007, 18:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
For bit-torrents you would need to use bitspirit and please note this would work under a https proxy and not http.

I have been using bit-torrents for all my downloads @ home for over 2 years now and honestly found the best sounding quality stuff on torrent websites.
Can one download complete albums from any of these P2P clients?.. I use bearshare and it ain't possible with that
Old 11th May 2007, 18:26   #23
BHPian

coolgoose - Cool Toad
It is has a good collection of mp3s
Old 11th May 2007, 20:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Anyone have an opinion on Lime Wire , I have been using it for nearly 3 years and am satisfied with it.
Concur. I use Limewire too and have been able to locate most of the songs that are not normally found on other websites.

Cooltoad (formerly coolgoose) is also good but not on the same lines of Limewire.
Old 12th May 2007, 00:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Can one download complete albums from any of these P2P clients?.. I use bearshare and it ain't possible with that
use torrent files they are the best for downloading albums,bye the way check this site outSlyck - File Sharing News and Info. its a good site to know about p2p clients
Old 12th May 2007, 01:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Have been using GoMusic.Ru - a Russian site, for about 4 years now with absolutely no problems. I've found some albums or tracks that I havent been able to find elsewhere.
Dude this site rocks!!! And its not that expensive either.

On the topic of legality, you guys do know that most of these sites are not legal in any case. Its not a question of paying some money for it, its about paying the price determined by the record label for that particular album. If you aren't doing that, then you might as well pirate stuff I don't advocate it, I'm just saying...

Cheers!
Kartik
Old 12th May 2007, 22:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
Dude this site rocks!!! And its not that expensive either.
I told you so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
Its not a question of paying some money for it, its about paying the price determined by the record label for that particular album.
Err.. its called ARBITRAGE. The same product is priced differently in different markets - if you go to Russia that is all you will pay for legal CDs. I dont think its illegal to listen to CDs sold in Russia.

Therefore you use the net to find the best rate for music - just as you would for any other product. How many of us buy regularly from ebay or Amazon when we would've had to pay more for it in our country?

Even Telecom Operators buy international traffic over the net these days. They often buy traffic from Totally unknown entities on the web - if that were illegal we're talking about a few billion dollars worth of traffic being carried every month by carriers around the world.

The world changes - you change with it. Or you pay more the same stuff - the choice is yours.

So whats wrong with buying music similarly. To be fair I did try out DRM music when it first came out but its such a bloody pain - Microsoft and the Record Label allow you to download it just THRICE on 3 different PCs. And then you have a BURN limit. And it wont play on your iPod. If I'm paying money for it, why should I be so shackled? Imagine what would happen if such controls existed on EVERYTHING you bought - you can ONLY wear your Armani Jeans when you go into Crowne Plaza or the Hyatt or the Intercontinental. If you want to wear it to the Kempinski, you have to pay Armani all over again.

This is a very sensitive topic, though. If you put shackles on your music, is life worth living?

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th May 2007 at 22:58.
Old 13th May 2007, 01:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If you put shackles on your music, is life worth living?
Truer words haven't been spoken!

Cheers!
Kartik
Old 12th June 2007, 21:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Here is a new website which offers legal music for free.
The catch? You will have to listen to first 10 seconds of ad.

They also offer ad-free songs for some price. The service is currently in beta testing so they don't have larger database.
Worth a try though.

EDIT: Here is the link to website Free Music Downloads - Music Promotion - We7 - Free Music Downloads - Music Promotion - We7

Last edited by adya33 : 13th June 2007 at 12:38. Reason: Link added
Old 13th June 2007, 11:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Here is a new website which offers legal music for free.
The catch? You will have to listen to first 10 seconds of ad.

They also offer ad-free songs for some price. The service is currently in beta testing so they don't have larger database.
Worth a try though.
Which Website ......?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks