Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 12:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Anyone have an opinion on Lime Wire , I have been using it for nearly 3 years and am satisfied with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Concur. I use Limewire too and have been able to locate most of the songs that are not normally found on other websites.
Started using it recently & I find it really good too
Old 13th June 2007, 12:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Which Website ......?
Sorry my mistake. Here is the link
Free Music Downloads - Music Promotion - We7 - Free Music Downloads - Music Promotion - We7
Old 13th June 2007, 13:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Why do these sites not use lossless? Most of the stuff I see is lossy (MP3, AAC, etc...) any good lossless sites (Flac, Wavpack) out there?
Arent those lossless encoded files generally bigger? Also, from my experience, its almost impossible to tell the differrence between a lossless encoded file and a lossy encoded file with good software(LAME) and decent bitrates (above 192 kbps or VBR). In fact one needs a dedicated highend professional/studio quality system, a pair of extra-sensitive ears and good amount of training to detect the difference in most cases. So the real merits of going for lossless encoded files is more of academic in nature than in practical terms.

Last edited by appuchan : 13th June 2007 at 13:40.
Old 6th July 2007, 16:23   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Check out legalsounds.com - Only 9 cents a song! What I liked:

1. Download manager which takes care of downloading multiple songs (as opposed to downloading each song individually and then moving to the next).

2. FAST servers! Got 30 songs on my laptop in less than 2 hours.

3. Quick updates to their inventory. I looked for the latest sounds and they had them all.

4. Cheap. Appear to have some introductory offers right now; I charged for $25 and got $6 worth of music free. May actually work out to lesser than 9 cents a song.
Old 6th July 2007, 16:28   #35
Team-BHP Support

Hehe, its an allofmp3 clone. I.e. Russian site!
Old 6th July 2007, 16:43   #36
BHPian

I just record all the latest music from tv (vh1) or digital radio using my portable dvr/player - archos 604, and then connect the 604 in my car via aux-in. Its a bit painful splitting 1-3hr recordings into individual songs (you can do it from the dvr itself) - but its free

ARCHOS will have all details on these portable digital video recorders/players

-j
Old 6th July 2007, 19:34   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Jassi

Maybe you should try the stream ripper software. Will rip songs from any online radio....I built my entire electronic / techno collection that way.
Old 6th July 2007, 21:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

I use streamripper for TECHNO ripping.. works great with winamp. Keep it running whole night lol

Also check this CD Sales Drop, Digital Music Jumps In 1st Half '07 -- Online Music -- InformationWeek

I am still waiting for a service like yahoo $5 monthly. Even $20 monthly will do the job if i get unlimited songs to download. Some of the guys i know who purchased yahoo $5 monthly membership 2 - 3 years were very happy with it. But its only for US residents :(

Last edited by abhibh : 6th July 2007 at 21:31.
Old 7th July 2007, 00:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I just record all the latest music from tv (vh1) or digital radio using my portable dvr/player - archos 604, and then connect the 604 in my car via aux-in. Its a bit painful splitting 1-3hr recordings into individual songs (you can do it from the dvr itself) - but its free

ARCHOS will have all details on these portable digital video recorders/players

-j

where can i get these in bangalore?
Old 7th July 2007, 01:21   #40
BHPian

yep gto - i've tried stream ripper earlier, but personally I prefer getting the videos straight of vh1 - tht way my collection is always latest and greatest. i can even record those late night rock shows, etc or leave the thing to record at a particular time of the day when I'm not around. Plus the biggest advantage is I get video of choice in the car or on those long international flights (once I'm done with all the movies they have ) and its also a usb harddisk

Have been using archos for 2 yrs now - had a 100 gig one earlier (which I gifted to my sis) and now got a 30gig one with 4.3" screen. Its a good gadget to invest in and you get away from the pain of searching for new stuff or contributing to piracy

PS - for a dedicated car setup you can get a 100gig 7" archos for 450usd - much better than putting an lcd screen in the car cos the archos does much more!!

I think I am going offtopic now - the thread is abt getting free music from the internet - but seriously this is how I get my free music
Old 7th July 2007, 01:33   #41
BHPian

Chetan dude - archos doesn't sell officially in India
The best place to pick em up is US and they are always close to sold out cos they are so much in demand. The only place you can get it for sure is Fry's, but I have on occasion seen archos players in circuit city and compusa too.
One advise though - if you tell someone to get it for you from US or even if you are going to US anytime and plan to buy one - be little flexible in the choice of archos model - for example you maybe looking for 40 gig model but may end up buying 100 gig model cos thts whats available
I've seen archos dvr/players in singapore but can't guarantee if they are reliable originals or imports.

Also if you plan to use archos to record good quality music/videos make sure you have a tatasky or dishtv as the video resolution and sound bitrate is much better, if you don't need vids just record audio from these tv sources or radio/worldspace
Old 5th October 2007, 11:54   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Is there any good site for remixes? Got hooked on to them of late. Any site with remix charts (top 50 etc.) and downloads? Even if its a paid download, thats cool.
Old 5th October 2007, 12:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Try www.beatport.com GTO - the best DJ remixes ever!
Old 5th October 2007, 12:37   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent site! Thanks Sam. I can see that they have a new section for "mixes" coming up soon.

Any others for remixes of popular songs?
Old 5th October 2007, 15:34   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Why do these sites not use lossless? Most of the stuff I see is lossy (MP3, AAC, etc...) any good lossless sites (Flac, Wavpack) out there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Arent those lossless encoded files generally bigger? Also, from my experience, its almost impossible to tell the differrence between a lossless encoded file and a lossy encoded file with good software(LAME) and decent bitrates (above 192 kbps or VBR). In fact one needs a dedicated highend professional/studio quality system, a pair of extra-sensitive ears and good amount of training to detect the difference in most cases. So the real merits of going for lossless encoded files is more of academic in nature than in practical terms.

Lossless albums are huge. Each album (FLAC) could be 400mb and above.

Wavpack isnt that popular.

I dont know abt "legal" FLAC albums, but on the Bit Torrent network, you can find a huuge collection of FLAC albums from just abt any artist.

Metallica, Yehudi Menuhin, Pandit Ravi Shankar, Iron Maiden, everything.

And you can very clearly make out the difference between lossy formats and lossless formats if you have a good speaker system and a good soundcard/amplifier to play the song from.

If you are listening to music on your ipod or similar gadget, you cant make out.... but on high end setups, the difference is as crystal clear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks