Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2021, 16:27   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2021 Tokyo Olympics

Wow! With another medal, we’ll break the all-time best medal tally (the current best was 6 at the 2012 London).
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 16:55   #77
Senior - BHPian

Too bad that Aditi didn't get a medal. Would have been amazing. Congrats to Bajrang for the bronze.

Neeraj is leading in Javelin now. Fingers crossed and prayers.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 17:40   #78
BHPian

Neeraj Chopra wins javelin GOLD with a stunning 87.58m throw! What an achievement from the young Indian Subedar. The first Olympic athletics medal for India in over 100 years and the second ever individual Olympic Gold. Undoubtedly this has to be one of the greatest moments in the world of sports for India.
Emvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 17:42   #79
Senior - BHPian

What a throw!!! Amazing to see him win a gold! Congratulations to him and his team
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 17:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

This GOLD will inspire a billion, brilliance by Neeraj Chopra. He lived up the hype, and performed ! So happy !

Feel sad for Aditi Ashok, she was so close.
But overall a good closing with two medals on final day.

Last edited by fz_rider : 7th August 2021 at 17:55.
fz_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 18:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

Anand Mahindra to gift XUV700 to Neeraj Chopra who won first gold medal for India at the Tokyo Olympics.

The 2021 Tokyo Olympics-smartselect_20210807183204_twitter.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 19:01   #82
Team-BHP Support

First ever track and field GOLD for India. It is very special.... also the highest medal haul (7) in Indian Olympic history.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 19:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Anand Mahindra to gift XUV700 to Neeraj Chopra who won first gold medal for India at the Tokyo Olympics.
Is it cheap marketing by Mahindra?
Latheesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 19:39   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Yes in my view, every company and politicians jumping onto the bandwagon after the success of individuals is playing the cheap part of marketing. Domino’s did it with Mirabai Chanu and now Mahindra is doing the same with Neeraj Chopra. As I have already mentioned in this thread, it’s derogatory to the sponsors who stood by these athletes when no one supported them. Although, to be fair to Mahindra, he isn’t making it trend at least !!

I am glad Neeraj Chopra won the gold, he already has many medals to his credit since his youth days and this gold in the olympics will further add to his kitty. The form of Johannes Vetter also played a part in the gold winning performance since he was the one has thrown almost five or six times above 90 metres in the season. His form kind of dipped in the Olympics and Neeraj Chopra grabbed his chance. Even this gold winning throw is below his personal best. Having followed him from his youth championship days, it’s kind of heartwarming to see him achieving the ultimate glory. He might go onto become the greatest track and field athlete ever for India in the coming years.

And today, I think of Milkha Singh, it’s sad that he is no more to see his dream of watching a track and field gold for India getting fulfilled. I am sure, he would be smiling from above.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 7th August 2021 at 20:05.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 19:52   #85
BHPian

Abhinav Bindra was the last to win a Gold for India at the Olympics at the 2008 Summer Olympics in the 10m Air Rifle event.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 21:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

The throw that won India a Gold Medal. His 87.58m attempt was enough to place him at the top of the standings after 6 throws in the men's javelin throw final.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th August 2021 at 21:15.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 02:55   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Yes in my view, every company and politicians jumping onto the bandwagon after the success of individuals is playing the cheap part of marketing. Domino’s did it with Mirabai Chanu and now Mahindra is doing the same with Neeraj Chopra.
There is nothing wrong with these "cheap" tactics. In fact, I think more and more corporates should do such things. Gift them all what they can right now. Even if some local dealer wants to give Honda Activa to an athlete in return for him tweeting/Instagramming/Facebooking the dealer's name, let them do it.

For Athletes, their golden years are only from 18-35 where they can earn well unlike corporate guys who actually start making well after 35. Most of us won't even remember the name of an Indian athlete who came 4th in the 2016 Olympics in Gymnastics.

Neeraj Chopra has already earned 10 Crore in the last 6 hours (Haryana Government offered 6 Crore, BCCI 1 Crore, CSK 1.25 Crore, and many more names), this is more than what many gold medal winners from other countries will make in their career. All these earnings and gifts need to be highlighted and covered by the media so Indian parents know that their kids can take sports as a career.

Indian athletes and their coaches need as much money as we can offer them. I don't think they are going to complain about who is joining the bandwagon, after all, it is their bandwagon!
how_you_doing is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 08:11   #88
Senior - BHPian

Harsh words, buddy. Winners deserve every bit of appreciation they get, be it in accolades or in kind. If Mahindra had not given anything, even that would be talked and criticized. Besides, how much more TRP would an established name like Mahindra get from this? Will they sell a single extra XUV 700, based on this gift? Yes, if my corner shop dealership tries to tag along with a great name I'd call it a cheap stunt. Just my two bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Yes in my view, every company and politicians jumping onto the bandwagon after the success of individuals is playing the cheap part of marketing. Domino’s did it with Mirabai Chanu and now Mahindra is doing the same with Neeraj Chopra. As I have already mentioned in this thread, it’s derogatory to the sponsors who stood by these athletes when no one supported them. Although, to be fair to Mahindra, he isn’t making it trend at least !!
Old 8th August 2021, 10:52   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
There is nothing wrong with these "cheap" tactics.
These tactics are definitely not "wrong" but I feel they are more opportunistic in nature than constructive. My question being is an athlete only worth this adulation after a medal is achieved? There is a lot more that goes into an atheletes training for Olympics and if people chip in during the constructive years we will see many more gold medals. Indias recent consistency in badminton has to do with the initiative of "quest for Olympic gold" by Prakash padukone and his peers. Intense training under former great Pullella Gopichand gave us winners like Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu. Most sports organizations are riddled with internal politics.

In our country there is stigma related to any sport which is not cricket. Unless it's a family of sportspersons a kid will not be encouraged to take up sports. Or unless money is not an issue.

Like you said 18 to 35 is the prime of an athlete, the infra and support should be there before they think of taking up the sport. A middle class family should find "shot putting" as lucrative as Cricket. As of now the victory is fresh and people are soaking in it. Soon this will be forgotten and we will cheer again in 2024. What about the time in between?

We should study the journey of Neeraj Chopra and see if the gameplan can be replicated for future Olympians. I have seen that today's youngsters have far more confidence and ability owing to more exposure. I dont see why we cannot create more gold medalists. Anand Mahindra giving a congratulatory car is welcome, but some attention to the training stage would also work wonders. But that would be a lot of work now , won't it
400notout is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 11:18   #90
Team-BHP Support

Let's choose to celebrate the men & women who participated, and some won, despite the challenges most sporting disciplines face in this country.

The post-facto bandwagon jumping is the usual noise accompanying every success, and will fade away as the next wagon comes along. Talking about them in this moment just dilutes the unadulterated credit we owe to each Olympian.

The achievements will remain, and hopefully spur more young people to take up sport.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks