Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 12:36   #31
BHPian

Re: The sad state of Journalist YouTubers (Pradeep on Wheels)

Such "journalists" and "influencers" are in plenty on YouTube. Not even aged enough such "cubs" when they enter showrooms, think thats their family's property.

In 2019, i had gone to check out the Hyundai Grand i10 Nios at Modi Hyundai, Goregaon West and to my surprise i found empty wrappers, tea/coffee cups in the display car. I asked the salesman how come they have to bear all this, he replied they got no choice and some so-called "chappri" customers (who have earned a quick buck by posting absolute non-sense shitty videos on YouTube) behave as if they own the showroom literally littering the place.

Because of such people the polite/gentle customers also suffer.
Azalactone is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
This publicity is what they expect and increasing the no. of views through Team-BHP will encourage them (as well as others) to repeat it.

I wish this thread is deleted (like the other one)

Absolutely agree.

I am sure that out of 1L+ views, quite a lot of them has come from team-bhp members / or those who have clicked the link from this thread page.

I request the moderators to remove the thread from the "Hot threads" category / and also remove from the home page.

There is no point in giving more coverage to this entitled and sanctimonious so called "auto blogger"
haria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:59   #33
Team-BHP Support

On a related point, some YouTubers have also become semi-extortionists. They demand all kinds of freebies, free entrance and what not to events unabashedly and threaten with negative publicity should they not be entertained.

I know of event managers etc as well who handle these jokers with kid gloves because of this threatening attitude.

If a random guy entered this youtuber’s residence with a live camera, purporting to have “come to spread positivity” would he serve him dinner or get him the hell out of his house.
Axe77 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:41   #34
BHPian

A vast majority of the so called automotive Youtubers are nothing more than a video brochure for the company. They wouldn't know or tell any more than what is already there on the company's website. Much like a sheep, if one says the car's suspension is set hard, the rest would follow. Most of them have no knowledge about the mechanicals or the electricals of a vehicle.

Heck, I saw a youtuber in his mid 40s who used to run a flop dance studio for kids in Ghaziabad, UP and now claims to be an auto expert. The guy has a following of over a million without a zilch of real automotive knowledge. Another one based out of Delhi barely learnt how to drive and became a so called expert. Yet another one based out of Dwarka, Delhi is an utterly clueless nonsensical piece of crass who has actually fooled a lot of people of their money by promoting substandard products and accessories. And then there is this new breed who promotes used car dealers in return for money. The real good ones are far and few and unfortunately don't get the kind of attention they deserve.

Summing it up, it's almost foolish to rely on Youtubers, however big or small they may be, as a credible source of information. They should be treated as nothing more than mere entertainers and that's it.
Herschey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:08   #35
BHPian

Give him a break guys, he was annoyed because of their "False" language

Jokes apart, he was offended when they recorded him without "permission" but thought he had all the right to barge into their property and start recording stuff without any permission. Just like how these youtubers have a choice to select what they review, companies have all rights to decide who they will permit and for what.

He is calling it a company for public as though it is a PSU.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

YouTube is now plagued with almost everyone and anyone with a camera but sadly without a cause or an objective. It has to be regulated as it’s high time. The term “Journalist” is now being used quite loosely. I understand everyone at the end of the day needs to work to earn a living, but to what extent is the question. Anyone would gain popularity with this social media spinning out of control in the last 5 years. It’s a sad state.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 18:06   #37
BHPian

I used to come across plenty of such wannabe characters 5-6 years ago when I used to be on Facebook automotive groups & "owners clubs" for my car.

Few characteristics I noticed while interacting :
1) Pretentious. + Recycled repetition. And not just that, they'd be writing rubbish tautological diagnosis thinking they look smart. Forget in-depth knowledge, these people barely knew basics of how cars mechanically function.

2) Arrogant & condescending. They'd start making personal comments about many sensible people helping someone facing car issues with initial diagnosis to isolate the problem areas. This would incite others & sometimes the poor guy asking for help would still be stranded.

3) Extremely narcissistic. They'd take any point in the discussion and tangentially start an unrelated topic about themselves (it'd be probably based on something random they'd read somewhere that day).

While these are the negatives, some were fairly knowledgeable. They'd have the most insightful understanding whenever they decided to share something. Some got worn out and quite salty after having become tired of helping ungrateful group members.

IMO try to follow talented people who have regular day jobs otherwise and have NO reason to be biased about any brand / manufacturers, or depend on subscriptions/view count for money. They'd put things in the most honest perspective. Not that I want them to trash & grudge at the industry, but those who can call out the brand's which follow bad practices.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 18:20   #38
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

The sad state of Journalist YouTubers (Pradeep on Wheels)-c3602b9392fb4b379c734e15b4e0cab3.png

I am doing my part.

Somehow this reminds me of that absolutely repulsive nugget-brain called Musafir Joshi
vredesbyrd is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 19:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschey View Post
A vast majority of the so called automotive Youtubers are nothing more than a video brochure for the company. They wouldn't know or tell any more than what is already there on the company's website. Much like a sheep, if one says the car's suspension is set hard, the rest would follow. Most of them have no knowledge about the mechanicals or the electricals of a vehicle.

Heck, I saw a Youtuber in his mid 40s who used to run a flop dance studio for kids in Ghaziabad, UP and now claims to be an auto expert. The guy has a following of over a million without a zilch of real automotive knowledge. Another one based out of Delhi barely learnt how to drive and became a so called expert. Yet another one based out of Dwarka, Delhi is an utterly clueless nonsensical piece of crass who has actually fooled a lot of people of their money by promoting substandard products and accessories. And then there is this new breed who promotes used car dealers in return for money. The real good ones are far and few and unfortunately don't get the kind of attention they deserve.

Summing it up, it's almost foolish to rely on Youtubers, however big or small they may be, as a credible source of information. They should be treated as nothing more than mere entertainers and that's it.

I believe you're talking about "CALGULU" (no offence intended) and Musafir aka Joshi. God knows, how on earth these people became automotive reviewers. Even unbelievable is the number of subscribers they have. I used to watch Musafir fellow for time pass and his channel has only one topic, buy new/used cars modify them with cheap accessories from Karol Bagh and post a YouTube video to get views.

Carguru used to go to other so-called reviewers channels and using different IDs use to comment how automotive reviewers should learn from Carguru.
Azalactone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 19:08   #40

Indeed! People these days think that you've got a camera and internet access they'll use it to their whims and fancies. The guy calls himself a journalist or whatever, he should've known that statements from people other than duly designated by the entity concerned are not official statements. So, he's making a fool out of himself by mentioning that the guy he's talking to represents OLA.

Secondly, even if he wanted to make an enquiry or know more about the project or so called promote it, he should've gone to the designated authority. You can't enquire about construction from a gardener and vice versa, every one has their own field.
Old 19th August 2021, 21:17   #41
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this cringeworthy video.I feel guilty that I added to his view count. Anyway, have left a dislike which is all he deserves. Adding a comment to the video might even help him with the YouTube algorithm!!

Sadly, this is the kind of content that pulls in views from the majority, casual audience looking for more entertainment without cross-checking facts and applying reasoning.
Old 20th August 2021, 00:30   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Attachment 2195459

I am doing my part.

Somehow this reminds me of that absolutely repulsive nugget-brain called Musafir Joshi
Good on you and really appreciate it. After a very long time, I logged into YT and did the same. I believe this is the right thing to do. Hope others can also follow the suit.

Unfortunately, our world has given people too much power in terms of sharing an opinion, sharing content, etc. and most people don't know how to just utilize these tools. It's a bad sign and needs some correction.

Last edited by voyageur : 20th August 2021 at 00:34.
voyageur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 06:40   #43
BHPian

It's time India puts in a law banning monetization of YouTube videos. Just this single ban will reduce/eliminate the youtuber menace. If someone wants to be a serious documentary maker, journalist he/she will still produce and upload videos, but this ban will eliminate cockroaches like the above who are only on the platform to earn money, hook or crook.
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:56   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroychowdhury View Post
This show's the very sad state of so-called "Journalist YouTubers" who went to the under-construction Ola Electric factory site and trespassed on the Ola Property and started crying wolf when they were handled heavy-handedly.
I'm not going to click on the link and increase the view count. As you rightly said it is a sad state to which we've come to. Tech became too easily available and it's a double-edged tool.

Just to give him a taste of tit-for-tat strategy, imagine if some people recording video on mobile were to barge into his home, record it and then when he obstructs, record that as well and post online saying "auto journo uses bad language when we went for an interview"

Sadly, this is a fad that'll die maybe later or sooner too. The best we can do is not to even click on these links and even though if they're funny, we shouldn't share. By sharing we're making them popular. Their thumbnails and the description make it easier to spot them too.
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 15:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Auto journalist has come back identifying biggest problems in Ola. Just interpret whenever he says vertical suspension in Ola as horizontal suspension.

Last edited by aargee : 16th September 2021 at 15:58.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed