Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Grand Tour presenter?
Jeremy Clarkson 101 33.55%
Richard Hammond 25 8.31%
James May 51 16.94%
Can’t choose one - I like them all equally 141 46.84%
All of them are equally boring 5 1.66%
What’s GT and who are these people? 13 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 14:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your favourite Grand Tour presenter | Clarkson vs Hammond vs May

As GTO has mentioned, I like all three of them together in a show, but if I were to choose a single person out of them it would be Jeremy. Second would be James.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:01   #17
BHPian

If there was an option for Jeremy & James only then I would have hit that and clicked vote. I like both of them equally. Though good, I was never a fan of Richard.
Old 20th September 2021, 15:05   #18

The trio have made sure that a little over second half of my life has been dedicated to motoring. Watching an episode of TG or TGT post working hours, regardless of how many times I have watched it, is my "me time".

By no way was/is either of the show a "Car Review Program" in my honest opinion, each vehicle's review is completely subjective to who was driving it at the time. I feel it's more like a fun show for anyone who loves motoring regardless of their knowledge on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi Mayankk- Where can I catch these? I do manage to, on and off, catch a few episodes in YouTube. Will be great if you can share more details on tgt. Thank you.
The show is available on Discovery Plus (subscription required) starting from season 13 to 22, but they've cut short most of it by at least 10 mins, eliminating sections such as The News, Fastest Celebrity in a Reasonably Priced Car and sometimes even the a part of the main feature too. The last 3 seasons with the new trio (Harris, Freddie & Paddy) are available on the same app with the entire show in place. These guys are good too, being original and doing things their own way.
Arv1990 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:13   #19
BHPian

I've said this earlier too: The Beatles are Beatles only when they perform as a group. Individually they may score some hits but no magic.
srini1785 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 07:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Clarkson is my favorite - he can crack jokes and is the subject of a few. He's child in a (big) adult's body, similar to Mr. Bean.

Hammond, May, and Clarkson together make a great trio - knowledge, practicality, and the comedy.
Old 21st September 2021, 13:30   #21
BHPian

I like all of them. I have been watching them since I was born . The three guys are my childhood. It is really hard to choose between them.

Each of them have their own interesting personalities, which is really hard to describe . Jeremy , the one with self pride and bias, but is very smart. Hamond , who is smart and childish. And James May , who is the most interesting boring man on Earth.

If you have watched them since their Top Gear days you will understand how all of them evolved into what they are now.

But the one thing that the three have in common is an excellent sense of humor that makes them great.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:51   #22
Team-BHP Support

For me, they work really well as a trio, and if I must pick one as a favorite, that will be Jeremy; wit, sarcasm and all the related humor, all comes naturally to him. Hammond/May works best in the give and take with Jeremy, otherwise I find it hard to invest time in their individual shows, especially May’s.
Old 21st September 2021, 20:58   #23
BHPian

I must be the odd one out here. James, Hammond and Clarkson in that order. As much as the show needs Clarkson (I enjoy watching him thoroughly, including Farm) I just love the engineering nous that May and Hammond bring to show. May in particular is bloody brilliant. Anyone seen the response he gave to a reporter on if he'll stay with Clarkson after the slapgate? Word-perfect elegance.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:56   #24
BHPian

Jeremy is and will always remain my favourite. He just has the ability to captivate people like very few media personalities can. That said, TG would never have become as popular as it did without Richard and James.

Jeremy led the show but Richard and James grounded the show. Its certainly the trio that worked in TG and GT (though I am a little underwhelmed by the later seasons of GT). But in the end, Jeremy was the face of the show, he was the larger than life figure that made TG, well, larger than life. The second favourite would be James though I like Richard as well, just not as much as the other two. When the trio were at TG, they used to write columns on the TG website and I used to religiously read the columns of Jeremy and James but less so with Richard since I generally wasn't interested in the topics he wrote about (however, I love Richard's stand-alone shows).

That said, I don't always agree with Jeremy as much as I did when I was a Kid, I still read Jeremy's non-automotive opinion columns in the Sunday times and I just can't agree with his views on Climate Change, Stoicism, Masculinity, Billionaires etc. but you can always like people while disagreeing with them
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:31   #25
BHPian

Voted for "Can’t choose one - I like them all equally"

It's the trio with their epic road trips to every part of the world & even their individual reviews of the cars & overall a joyous feeling that one gets after watching the episode of Top Gear back in the day, is just unbeatable. I have to say, Top Gear played a huge role in my life to become an automotive enthusiast.

I will have to agree with GTO, The Grand Tour did not even come close to what was Top Gear. I don't think any show could ever do that.

Also like GTO I like Tiff Needell's reviews too. Even though Top Gear used to mock Fifth Gear every chance they get, we found Jeremy on several occasions that the only other car reviewer he has massive respect for was Tiff.

OT - Is it just me or does anyone think Renuka Kirpalani's review style, the attention to detail match Vicki's from Fifth Gear?

Neo
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:50   #26
BHPian

I see a stark contrast of the trio between TopGear and The Grand Tour. It looks like the best of the TopGear production team stayed with the BBC and not moved to the Grand tour team.

I used to repeatedly watch TopGear but I watch the Grand tour only once and never I am bothered to watch it again. I feel the new show is kind of diluted.

So in essence, these three become famous because of the great team behind them.

Last edited by amvj : 22nd September 2021 at 11:52.
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:59   #27
BHPian

All three of them are legends. No second thought about it.

They made boring car reviews & road trips so much exciting to watch. They had delivered blockbuster videos with typical British humour and banter.

It's not fair to single out of three. I have voted Clarkson reluctantly. Mainly because of review like these.

Old 22nd September 2021, 12:38   #28
BHPian

All 3 of them are legend in my view.

James May: I like his voice and calmness for his solo review and documentaries.

Richard Hammond: I like his quirkiness and humour.

Jeremy Clarkson: well, everything actually. Just one power solo review of his makes someone to fall for him.

If you have time, please watch the review of E90 M5 (Series 6, Episode 9).

Initially I hated News and Conversation Street segment and just continued to watch the reviews. The more I know them the more I liked the News segment of TG. Love Clarkson's theories and quotes as well.

TGT was more of their inner jokes than a car show. They lost the soul of TG which is a blend of their humor and serious car element. However, their Special episodes are the best.

I really miss them now on screen together on a studio or a tent.
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:52   #29
BHPian

All 3 of them are having legendary status and are equally influential to me.

But Jeremy gets the extra nudge up because he brings out the inner child inside me (maybe all of us), which while watching the show makes me feel nothing but the pure embodiment of someone who enjoys cars, and over that, I am able to relate to it a lot.

There is a level of enjoyable innocence(can't find a better way to word this, but I feel most of us will understand) in the way he puts out his views.

Cheers
Krishna
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:08   #30
BHPian

Voted for can't choose one. I think the Trio works since its the Trio. Watching them together is like watching three best friends hang out and discuss cars. Its that much fun since they balance each other out. Like a three legged stool. Or like a great thai dish. A bit spicy, sour, sweet all at the same time. Its that great only because it is together.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks