Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Grand Tour presenter?
Jeremy Clarkson 101 33.55%
Richard Hammond 25 8.31%
James May 51 16.94%
Can’t choose one - I like them all equally 141 46.84%
All of them are equally boring 5 1.66%
What’s GT and who are these people? 13 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your favourite Grand Tour presenter | Clarkson vs Hammond vs May

They are fun to watch in their own right, but together they are sure to make you laugh out loud. At times I find Jeremy to be too sarcastic(perhaps for his huge built and overpowering nature), while James and Hammond are too sweet. End of the day, I think they have the ideal job which pays for having fun with best buddies.
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:26   #32
BHPian

These guys are a riot! We used to watch this every day and were really unhappy when all the episodes were done .
It is pure entertainment. If there is a stupid automotive kid in you with some wild ideas which you never would try out then you will relate to them.
Personally I like the way they come together to bring opposing ideas into the same show but leave it to the viewer to make his own decision. They do not beg to be loved. They are just having fun and get paid in the process. Atleast that is what it looks like to me.

If I were to vote then it would be for.... I just realized I can't vote.
"On that terrible disappointment..." it is time to end my comment.
Memnon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:51   #33
BHPian

I agree with GTO. To me, they are a team and entertaining only when they are a team. Even though I enjoy watching each of their solo programs, I enjoy much more when they are together.
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:46   #34
BHPian

I voted: Can’t choose one - I like them all equally.

I always thought they bought balance. James May balances Jeremy's over the top flair with his usually vintage tastes. Both Clarkson and May try to neutralise Hammond's craziness and destructive tendencies. Clarkson and Hammond bring some entertainment and fun usually at the expense of May or sometimes even Hammond. May sometimes would bring down Clarkson too (like destroying Clarkson's house). It's a package, a well rounded one I would say.

For me, the best one was Season 3 Episode 5. Though named The Itchy Urus, what I loved was the tribute to Jim Clark. It's just told so well. Surprisingly, Hammond got the very emotional Jim Clark segment right to the feels, Clarkson toyed around on the Urus and May with the French Alpine A110 was just lovely.
I just loved how highly people spoke of Jim Clark and the emotions the show captured, especially from Dave Sims, who actually held back his tears.

Last edited by kraken : 22nd September 2021 at 15:48.
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:47   #35
BHPian

My personal favorite is Jeremy, though most of the time I like the show when three of them are together.

Episodes I liked the most
  • Jeremy Clarkson - Bugatti Chiron.
  • James May - Terminator Vs Range Rover.
  • Richard Hammond - Strapped to a plane.

My all time favorite episode on Top Gear - Bolivia's Death Road
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:54   #36
BHPian

Voted for Jeremy!

Though I prefer watching all three together. It's a dream isn't it, friends hanging around, pulling each others legs, practical jokes and what not, while doing what they love and getting top dollar for it!

I have to say I became an absolute Jeremy fan after watching the series Jeremy's farm. This guy is on a whole different level!
Old 22nd September 2021, 16:26   #37
BHPian

I like 2 for different reasons:

As a car enthusiast, James May. He owns an Alpine A110! That seals the deal for me.

As a presenter, Jeremy Clarkson.
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
I must be the odd one out here. James, Hammond and Clarkson in that order.
We are in this together, I voted for James as well
Honestly when I initiated the poll, I sort of knew 'All of them' option will get the maximum votes. Also had a feel that the individual votes would be in this order - Hammond > James > Clarkson. Boy how wrong I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
James May balances Jeremy's over the top flair with his usually vintage tastes.
Vintage is the word to describe James, thank you!

Last edited by warrioraks : 22nd September 2021 at 17:58.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:03   #39
BHPian

The Noble M600, the Widow Maker and the race through japan are some of my favourites in TG, TGT was a hoot, never mistake that for a car show

Jeremy has a way of presenting simple things... well, dramatically. I like his way of presenting and general slap stick. So voted for him. All three are good, but jeremy wins because he is the tallest , and the legendary "some say..."

Last edited by prasanna.vps : 22nd September 2021 at 18:05.
Old 22nd September 2021, 19:52   #40
BHPian

Love all of them as a team.

James may have his own way with the words, classy English and some of the jokes are so good, deep & classy. Typical British sarcastic black humour.

Jeremy's one liners and referances (like the widow maker, lambos A/C like a mouse coughing thru a straw etc.) are hilarious.

Hammond for his daring nature to any adventure.

All three makes the show.

Saw many of their independant shows, but couldn't connect well.
Old 22nd September 2021, 21:12   #41
BHPian

The combination of all three personalities makes Top Gear what it is. Obviously Clarkson stands out with his wit and humor and brilliant oration skills.

I just connect at a very fundamental level to all the bits that they do - From finding the best roads in 3 luxury cars to driving 20-30 year old cars and just appreciating what they offer. These are the type of things I would like to do if I had the money! In fact I have told a lot of people that Clarkson's job is my dream job (provided I also have his skills).

But when they talk about serious stuff, you get the goosebumps. Loved their piece on Ford vs Ferrari in Le Man's, McLaren P1 and Bugatti Veyron's reviews.

I have watched TG episodes on repeat and still click on short TG clips when they pop up in my feed.

TGT was a decent attempt at getting them together but glad they didn't stretch it for more seasons. It was starting to fade away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Surprising. He's the one who actually owned an i3, and also picked out the nsx.
And you've only got to look at his shoes from TG season 2 onwards, before calling him old fashioned!!
He has gone on to own a hydrogen-powered Fuel Cell car - Toyota Mirai, so definitely not old school. He is the nerd here and likes to know about new tech
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:15   #42

I think its the combination of the three that makes the entire show rewatchable 100s of times (I would have). The credits also goes to the producers who let their personalities shine through, because once a viewer such as me knows and likes these people, then I will also watch something boring presented by them (like I find James May cooking very boring but I have watched the series).

They got the chemistry just right and the program always let their personality shown on camera, so viewers like me know James is afraid of heights, Richard is afraid of insects and is not flexible in his eating habits, Jeremy does not like anything that requires manual labor. They made sure that this personality trait is carried through the entire length of their career. Because of this chemistry its not easy to replicate the program easily, few have tried and they all feel tacky.
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:57   #43
BHPian

The three share an amazing chemistry between them. The success of TG and GT is because of all three and not any one in particular.

However, for me, it has to be Clarkson. I have been watching him since old Top Gear days during the late 90s on BBC, followed by the new format Top Gear and after that, The Grand Tour. For me, there is none like Clarkson.
Old 23rd September 2021, 23:27   #44
BHPian

Annoying Antics:
Clarkson > Hammond > May - in the order of most annoying to least annoying. May maintains the decorum and class I think. E.g. His class in the Kia Stinger in Spain episode.

Car Reviews:
Clarkson > May > Hammond - in the order of expertise, presentation. I like Clarkson's analogies and technical depth in driving; mechanics etc. E.g. Jaguar XE SVR and most episodes from his Motorworld or salad days at TG

Dare Devilry:
Hammond > May > Clarkson - We have to give it Hammond for his daredevilry in spite of all those accidents, falls, fractures. E.g. Land Rover Defender Dam episode.

Humour:
Clarkson = Hammond = May - each is uniquely humorous in their own fashion.

Overall, all three of them make TG/TGT enjoyable. Credit majorly goes to Clarkson for conceptualizing the style that TG pioneered.
BusyBoyKK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed