Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Grand Tour presenter?
Jeremy Clarkson 101 33.55%
Richard Hammond 25 8.31%
James May 51 16.94%
Can’t choose one - I like them all equally 141 46.84%
All of them are equally boring 5 1.66%
What’s GT and who are these people? 13 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 16:47   #1
BHPian

Your favourite Grand Tour presenter | Clarkson vs Hammond vs May

I was watching GT today (Season 4, Episode 2) and realised how I relate so much to James May. The choices he makes are old school and not practical a lot of times but still he is my favourite. Also had me thinking that although these three blokes gel effortlessly into a fun package, they are very very different personalities. Curious to know who is your favourite?
Attached Images

warrioraks is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 17:19   #2
BHPian

re: Your favourite Grand Tour presenter | Clarkson vs Hammond vs May

Sure the boys do all the stupid things and the jokes, but when they passionately do a piece - like the "Funeral for a ford" or when and when , you know just how amazing these guys are ! I love the way James tells interesting details, absolutely adore Hammond and Clarkson's stupid pranks. I've voted for all of them
Akshay6988 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 17:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
James May. The choices he makes are old school and not practical a lot of times but still he is my favourite. ?
Surprising. He's the one who actually owned an i3, and also picked out the nsx.
And you've only got to look at his shoes from TG season 2 onwards, before calling him old fashioned!!
Jeremy was my favourite on TG, but in TGT, Hammond is in a class of one! Remember the horse diatribe?
mayankk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 19:12   #4
BHPian

As a person who got to watch only Grand Tour and not Top Gear, I like the the presenters for the following reasons:
1. Jeremy Clarkson: His smug smile , his commentary of a timed lap (the ones that Abbie used to do around the Eboladrome) and his love for Alfa Romeo.
2. Richard Hammond: His favorite cars (he loves Porsches and so do I!), his horse rants and his ability to shrug off the past and live the best version of himself.
3. James May: His calm and relaxed demeanor, Captain Slow quality and his informed opinions on every single thing in the world.

Overall, I think that the trio have created one of the most enjoyable TV shows in the world because:
1. They have impeccable coordination.
2. All of their episodes contain comedy and are enjoyable.
3. The quality of filming and the views we get are comparable to none!

To the people who are looking for a good show to entertain you during weekends: search no more.
aravindb_0711 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 19:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

James May and Richard Hammond are likeable and are not over the top like Jeremy Clarkson, but you can’t help but think that the show sort of revolves around Jeremy Clarkson much more than the other two, and also the fact that his sense of humour, audacity in doing certain things are top notch. At times he comes across as a bit arrogant, and he is also extremely biased with regard to certain car manufacturers, probably James May is a lot more neutral. Anyway, each of them have been equally pivotal in making their series a huge success!
motorworks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 01:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindb_0711 View Post
As a person who got to watch only Grand Tour and not Top Gear, I like the the presenters for the following reasons:
Oh, then you're in for a treat of a binge watch. A lot of people wish they could read their favourite book,watch their favourite movie, again for the first time. Lucky you.
What you enjoy on TGT, is actually a watered down/wiser men version of TG. You can watch it from series one onwards, wait for slow to find his way one season late to the show. And keep the Africa special for the last. And if you like Abbie's lap, you will love the Stig.

Ps: discovery has some seasons, but you may have to look for other avenues, as they snip a lot of the episodes.

Last edited by mayankk : 19th September 2021 at 01:06.
mayankk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 02:35   #7
BHPian

The three just click. I doubt any single one of them can entertain the way the three do together. They are hilarious at times, the stupid pranks and all. I particularly like what happens just after Clarkson says "It could be worse..." and James May says "bollocks !"

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2021 at 14:17. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 03:04   #8
BHPian

The trio is best when they are together. But, individually, I think I like James May. Unlike Clarkson, he is not too over the top and the fact that he is simple and presents himself as the way different from Clarkson ensures that there is a great balance in the show. TG moments such as that of the PDK and Dacia Sandero can never be pulled off by Hammond or Clarkson. And who can forget him screaming Clarkson loudly every time the other 2 mess with him. Certainly makes Top Gear much more enjoyable.
TorqueMonster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 08:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

All the three are equally good and I love their individual shows as well (even the very early ones - pre-top gear ones). Even James May's Japan series was pretty entertaining and not to mention Clarkson's Farm.

In an interview, I remember Clarkson saying that they are not close friends off-screen though. Not sure whether that statement is true since he is always mocking when in front of the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
He still owns the i3 AFAIK. In this video, you can see his garage. His new Toyota Mirai is also visible.

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 09:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
And you've only got to look at his shoes from TG season 2 onwards, before calling him old fashioned!!
I might have got carried away with words in the opening post. Your point is taken. Let me just say that this guy makes some classy choices as compared to other two a lot of times, and tries to go the purist way. Really like him for that.

i3 episode was one of my favourites. A quick google search tells me that James has been a big time EV proponent. So definitely not old school
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 10:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, then you're in for a treat of a binge watch. A lot of people wish they could read their favourite book,watch their favourite movie, again for the first time. Lucky you.
What you enjoy on TGT, is actually a watered down/wiser men version of TG.
Hi Mayankk- Where can I catch these? I do manage to, on and off, catch a few episodes in YouTube. Will be great if you can share more details on tgt. Thank you.
Old 19th September 2021, 11:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi Mayankk- Where can I catch these? I do manage to, on and off, catch a few episodes in YouTube. Will be great if you can share more details on tgt. Thank you.
Officially, TG is available on Amazon UK. If you can get a vpn and account going. Unofficially, you know how, and that's the only way for us to watch now. I don't get why Amazon doesn't show TG In India.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 00:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

All three of them have become boring, with their boorish and entitled behaviour and borderline, sometimes over the line, racism. I do believe a lot of it is playing to the audience's tastes, because Clarkson's writing hasn't changed over the years - it's actually gotten more self-aware.

Clarkson is best when he is being self-deprecating or obviously sarcastic. A lot of it is visible in Clarkson's Farm, which I binge-watched and was taken in by. I can't say the same for GT, whose 'specials' are about as special as week-old pie.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 14:20   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your favourite Grand Tour presenter | Clarkson vs Hammond vs May

All 3 make quite a team and are unbeatable as a trio. But between the 3, my pick will be Jeremy. His screen presence is the strongest, and he brings an insane level of wit & intelligence to his car reviews. Wish BBC had managed things better as IMHO, Top Gear was Top Gear. The Grand Tour never came close.

Voted for Clarkson . I watch a lot of his solo reviews. I like Hammond & May, but I love Tiff Needell a lot more.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2021 at 14:23.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 14:24   #15
BHPian

Re: Your favourite Grand Tour presenter | Clarkson vs Hammond vs May

Hard to choose between the trio.
James shouting CLARKSON
Jeremy shouting HAMMOND was always a huge laugh. Not to miss out on Hammond crashing cars.

Top gear's News and The Grand Tour's Conversation street is always interesting to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks