Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2007, 13:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Very very informative guys thanks a lot,had not even thought about the two different types of water purifiers before.
Old 20th May 2007, 14:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

read about reverse osmosis. Its called ion exchange.
For Bangalore you need three stage filteration(Carbon filter) to take care of any bacteria or particulate suspended matter, and for taking care of harmful salts Reverse Osmosis is needed.
Vid, my flat is on sarjapur road. We have Cauvery water coming within 2 years for the past 3 years.
Old 12th June 2007, 19:54   #18
BHPian

As far as I know, you can get spare filters (the actual filter that fits within the water filtering machine) from Eureka Forbes. So you are not stuck to being serviced by them.

Ask the store where you would buy the filter machine for the phone number of the local Eureka Forbes office. Then call that number and ask them what price they charge for spares.

I think it was 300 for the filter and Rs 700 for filter + installation a while back.
Old 13th June 2007, 12:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Zero-B (Ion Exchange) Unit.

It was very expensive. The water still has a sort of machine taste, which I hope will go with use, but it is certainly good to drink.
Old 13th June 2007, 13:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

A lot of you guys have RO systems installed. I have one question in RO systems there is a huge wastage of water. Out of 10 litres purified only 3 is used the other 7 litres goes down the drain. Right? So how many of you actually re-use the wasted water for other purposes?

I use Kinley water 25 liter jars with the cooler at home.
Old 13th June 2007, 16:14   #21
BHPian

There is a new one from Phillips, just saw an Ad..!

We have Reviva Aquaguard RO installed last 4 years, No issues and maintainence apart from Routine replacements of the Filters and cleaning of the dispenser covered under AMC.

Replacement of Filters is done twice or thrice a year.

I would'nt say huge wastage, but yes there is water loss,What we have done is that the Waste pipe collects water in the Bucket and that is used to water the plants.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 13th June 2007 at 16:19.
Old 13th June 2007, 19:14   #22
BHPian

Also, what is the power consumption of RO units in watts?

Finally, since one is using RO to avoid any last trace of chemicals, it's ironic that the holding containers of most of the RO units are plastic. Is there an RO unit that allows you to output water to a container of your choice?
Old 13th June 2007, 19:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
There is a new one from Phillips, just saw an Ad..!
Yes the ad was very interesting. Saw it in this months readers digest.

Also has a battery backup so you can get safe drinking water even when there is no power.
Old 13th June 2007, 19:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have one question in RO systems there is a huge wastage of water. Out of 10 litres purified only 3 is used the other 7 litres goes down the drain.
If true,It's criminal to waste so much water in these times of water shortages.
Old 13th June 2007, 20:03   #25
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys
there are two types of RO membranes
TFC Thin film composites ( Filmtech,USA, a subsidiary of DOW chemicals) is the largest makers of this. kent sources their RO membrane from them
Cellulose acetate membranes
the basic difference is TFC membranes wont work on water with chlorine( most of the munciple supply) chlorine kills the membranes. that is why they keep pre filters like , mechanical filters like cotton thread-charcoal- activated or silver impregnated carbon or carbon block to remove chlorine and any other impurities
cellulose acetate membranes work on water with chlorine.
between these two TFC is a slightly better technology
Eureka Forbes does not have proper RO system two years back hence they are discouraging customers. but what it actually sells is pure mechanical filter ( cotton rope/polyester bloc - charcoal - UV lamp. the efficacy of UV lamp is highly doubtful. there are no concrete studies about the time duration and UV frequency required to kill bacteria. In all the commercial filters available today water passes through the UV lamp . actually it does not stay even for few seconds under UV light. different bacteria have different time and temperature susceptibilities. so thinking UV will kill bacteria is not correct.
whereas RO membrane will effectively filter away all the bacteria and virus, pesticide etc. actually there is no need for UV lamp in RO filters. just because people feel it is better the companies like kent are adding it and increasing the cost.
one has to check what RO membrane the company is using. RO membranes are rated in LPD( Ltrs per day) if it says 75 LPD the membrane can effectively give you 50 Lts per day. . further RO membrane has a life of 2-3 years.
regarding filter AMC is big hog wash. you can safely change the cartridges once in a year and more frequently depending upon the input quality of water

Last edited by rkg : 13th June 2007 at 20:05.
Old 13th June 2007, 22:33   #26
Team-BHP Support

What Eureka forbs is saying put water in a glass, put glass in sunlight for 10 seconds and its disinfected.
In other words, "Consumers are fools"
Old 14th June 2007, 00:22   #27
BHPian

offlate, Philips is advertising a lot about its water filter's. Guess, can also check with them.
Old 14th June 2007, 11:11   #28
rkg
Senior - BHPian

all the filters are same. especially branded ones
ic case of Ro filter choose the one with maximum number of prefilters before Ro membrane.this will prolong the life of membrane. charcoal followed by carbon block is good. charcoal offers lots of surface area for many chemicals esp chlorine to get adhered to. RO removed dissolved substances from water. no other process does it ( except distillation)
i have checked the TDS level of cauvery water in wilson garden area where i resided for 4 years. it is around 250-300 ppm. bore water in that area is around 350 ppm. in fact the companies say if TDS is above 500 go for RO.
there is another method called membrane filters. these are better that ordinary charcoal-carbon block-UV lamp stuff. these are good is water TDS is less than 500 ppm. one company makes it. it is permionics. but the products are slighlty expensive but they are in the same range as EF
the link is here Permionics manufacturer of reverse osmosis membranes, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration membrane for color removal domestic water purifier and recycle waste water.
try to see beyond EF. EF is actually taking customers for a ride.
Old 14th June 2007, 11:15   #29
Team-BHP Support

rkg, in Bellandur area the major problem was metals in the water(Copper, mercury etc.,) Even water in indranangar faces such contamination. Thats why germs are not the only problem. For filtering out metals etc., you need RO.
Old 14th June 2007, 11:31   #30
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi TSK
that is what i said "it removes all dissolved materials from water" Ro removes most of the known bacteria along with minerals, pesticide residues. it is better choice in urban areas where bore water is the source of drinking water. if one can afford RO it is the best. forget the EF sales pitch that we loose minerals etc etc. water was supposed to be water only not source of minerals. further many minerals are stored in the body and are required in such micro quantities one can not take them daily in water. most of the bottled water sold as mineral water. actually they ozonize after Ro purification to get that taste nothing else. people tend to think they are getting minerals from water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks