Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2017, 16:30   #571
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Aqua guard - I have been using this since Feb. Last year and have no complaints. My inlet TDS is around 500 ppm, bore well water. Output has been consistent. As PM, I called for servicing after 10 months. They came on time, checked the unit and said that only routine cleaning was required. Luckily didn't change / charge anything. Output water TDS was same as before, around 40 ppm. Happy with this Dr. so far.☺

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 25th February 2017 at 16:33.
Old 19th March 2017, 12:17   #572
BANNED

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Now finally i think we need a new unit. As mentioned earlier the electronics of Eureka cannot be repaired easily.

I guess a non-RO is a lost cause. So what do fellow members recommend. If will prefer a compact unit, less depth. Any suggestions?
Old 19th March 2017, 14:30   #573
Senior - BHPian

Check out the units by LG. I like the fact that their water storage tanks are made from passivated steel which is far better than any plastic(in its innumerable compositions) tank ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now finally i think we need a new unit. As mentioned earlier the electronics of Eureka cannot be repaired easily.

I guess a non-RO is a lost cause. So what do fellow members recommend. If will prefer a compact unit, less depth. Any suggestions?
Old 26th March 2017, 07:02   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Yesterday had first free service of my LG WWEP160P with sterilization. I keep my own TDS and pH meters. Both have been consistent ( TDS: 22-28 and pH 7.8-8). The fact that except LG and A.O Smith all other brands mix unpurified water to raise the TDS, made me throw away almost new Kent Grand. Had they been doing that in USA, it would have brought them lot of lawsuits - notwithstanding Ms. Hema Malini.

pH is important aspect of drinking water. The Kent Grand used to spill out around 6.0-6.2 - quite acidic. And no manufacturer tests pH at customer premises.

Another factor in my purchase of LG was regular (6-8 hours) sterilization of water inside the R.O storage tank by LED UV. So, if water is not drained from the R.O tank for 2-3 days, it will still be germ-free (almost).

I tried to find about SMCT filter in A O Smith. But there is no info either on net or from the comapny as to what exactly it is. Hence went to LG.

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 26th March 2017 at 07:05. Reason: spell check
Old 26th March 2017, 09:34   #575
BANNED

I am seeing a lot of ads on the TV about Alkaline RO units. What are they, how good they are, and benefits, if any. Could be advertising as was the case of clove oil in toothpaste.
Old 27th March 2017, 10:44   #576
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Folks, is it true that all these small RO purifiers are meant to purify water with TDS below 2000 ppm? What does one do if the TDS exceeds 2000 ppm?

I have no idea how bad our salty borewell water is in terms of dissolved solid content. I just ordered a TDS meter and pH strips from Amazon.

Should one go for a relatively heavy duty RO unit if the TDS content goes over 2000 ppm?

Last edited by RSR : 27th March 2017 at 10:47.
Old 27th March 2017, 12:30   #577
BANNED

@RSR; TDS of water in IITK was (and is) pretty high, as is the case where we now live. We lived on campus for 37 years, seems to have done little ill to our health. Being deed tube well water we never tried or fwlt the need for any 'conditioning'. Yes, there were couple of cases of Kidney disease but I doubt whether this is statistically significant.
Old 27th March 2017, 17:32   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Folks, is it true that all these small RO purifiers are meant to purify water with TDS below 2000 ppm? What does one do if the TDS exceeds 2000 ppm?

I have no idea how bad our salty borewell water is in terms of dissolved solid content. I just ordered a TDS meter and pH strips from Amazon.

Should one go for a relatively heavy duty RO unit if the TDS content goes over 2000 ppm?
Yes. Above 2000 TDS, it has to be a mini RO plant with BWRO membranes and separate HP pump unit. As the Permeating pressure will be higher, 24V pumps won't work.
Old 27th March 2017, 17:54   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It may not be needed. Add a chamber with water softening or ion exchange resin inline and it should bring the TDS down to good levels. Anything below 150-200 TDS is perfectly fine to drink.

So Tap-->Prefilter-->Water Softener--> RO filter
Old 28th March 2017, 13:44   #580
BANNED

@Mortis; Spot on. Yes, with very hard water the Prefilter is also highly desirable. It is the softener which does the real job.
Old 28th March 2017, 14:45   #581
RSR
Senior - BHPian

sgiitk, RajaTaurus & Mortis: Thank you all for your inputs, gentlemen!

Our borewell water is quite salty, but not very hard (all based on mere guesswork). I hope the total TDS content is within 2000 ppm. I'll wait for the TDS meter to arrive before deciding the course of action.
Old 28th March 2017, 18:07   #582
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you do a full analysis as per IS10500 in a good lab. That will guide you to the exact contributor to the TDS. In seawater it is Sodium chloride, but in ground water it varies. Also you can see if softening will help or not.
Old 28th March 2017, 18:31   #583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

This is not true. Sometimes the TDS in our complex has been found out to be more than 2000 and our Nasaka water purifier brings it down to less than 50. It has been working well for the past 5 years.
Old 28th March 2017, 20:21   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our borewell water is quite salty, but not very hard (all based on mere guesswork).
I hope you washed your hands before making that post!

Here's why. I lived in London, uk, which had very hard water. I regularly visited another part of the country which had very soft water. The biggest difference at first sight is the amount of lather one gets from the soap. In London, very little; when first arriving at the other place, I would need to spend minutes washing the froth off my hands before I learnt to adjust,
Old 1st April 2017, 20:05   #585
BHPian

Folks, Could anyone please share a reliable contact for ZeroB agent for demo at Whitefield, Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks