Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:09   #946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Appreciate any tips.
I would recommend you find a water treatment guy near your house and buy filters from him the first time. Take your filters with you to compare physically. You will be able to find the brand that fits your housing size and then you can buy them online after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Is there any other brand which provides similar DIY kind of filter replacement?
There is a very similar 3M unit that you can consider. It will have extra accessories like a storage tank and a tap etc, look it up.

I have one like the below and it is a 7 stage RO, purchased from the US that i DIY added a pressure pump, extra pre-filter, solenoid valves and pressure gauges.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0095S978O

Most of these units are self maintainable and you should find a RO/water treatment dealer near your home, from whom you can source genuine filters and accessories when needed.

Last edited by diyguy : 23rd July 2020 at 02:16.
diyguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 15:19   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Mini Review after 2-3 week usage of LG Hot n Cold RO
I read your review about the hot and cold water purifier and went ahead with my purchase of the same. This unit helps a lot when there are 4-5 and more people in the house. Thanks for your review.

I just wanted to check if your unit also makes a mild click-click-click (Or tick-tick-tick) noise when the RO is working? I got mine installed yesterday and it's been making these noises. The installation guy says it's normal; but I'm not convinced.

It would be great if you could confirm. Thanks and have a great day.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th July 2020 at 16:23. Reason: Broken quote tags.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 18:57   #948
BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
I just wanted to check if your unit also makes a mild click-click-click (Or tick-tick-tick) noise when the RO is working?
I just checked mine it do make a sound when it is dispensing water when I press the lid. I did it multiple times while filling a glass of water and the sound came every time. This seems to be a normal scenario.

I have got lot of praises from my family specially in the initial weeks after the installation. The hot n cold water combination is boon for everyone in house especially our maid who loves chilled water. The bottle area in refrigerator is occupied by other stuffs like milk packets, butter, cold drink, juices etc.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 08:05   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I just checked mine it do make a sound when it is dispensing water when I press the lid. I did it multiple times while filling a glass of water and the sound came every time. This seems to be a normal scenario.

Just an update - Apparently, the inlet pressure is not enough for the clicking to disappear - low pressure switch is the cause. Not much of a bother, as the sound is very low and stops once the tank is full. But it's good to know that it's not a problem.

Yes. The use of bottles has reduced a lot. 🤘
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 15:59   #950
BHPian

Has anyone here done a DIY of filters replacement ?

My Havells AMC has run out and currently they have a 7-8 days lead time to arrange the replacement filters.

Thinking of replacing them myself with this:

AquaDart® RO Service kit
Old 26th August 2020, 23:58   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Has anyone here done a DIY of filters replacement ?
I do it all the time. I source my filters from the US. Most RO work can be done DIY if one has the time and inclination.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 18:49   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I do it all the time. I source my filters from the US. Most RO work can be done DIY if one has the time and inclination.
Thats awesome. Can you post the links of the website where you source your filters from ? Or are there any reliable Indian manufacturers ?
Old 29th August 2020, 01:55   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Can you post the links of the website where you source your filters from ?
These are the filters i purchase. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BOASJ1M/. I purchased this model with an additional 7th stage for UV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LJ8EXU
Sorry not aware of Indian suppliers but i found a couple of dealers around my house that deal in these spares including filters. I purchased Solenoid Valves, SMPS, Tubes, Pressure pump etc through one such guy. I also attached a prefilter to my 7 stage RO to add additional protection for the membrane. I purchased the prefilters from amazon and the housing from a local dealer. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00NXY11CG

Last edited by diyguy : 29th August 2020 at 02:02.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 20:43   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
These are the filters i purchase. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BOASJ1M/. I purchased this model with an additional 7th stage for UV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LJ8EXU
Sorry not aware of Indian suppliers but i found a couple of dealers around my house that deal in these spares including filters. I purchased Solenoid Valves, SMPS, Tubes, Pressure pump etc through one such guy. I also attached a prefilter to my 7 stage RO to add additional protection for the membrane. I purchased the prefilters from amazon and the housing from a local dealer. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00NXY11CG
Thanks a lot for posting the links. Will check around my neighbourhood if there are any shops or dealers.
Old 14th October 2020, 17:32   #955
BHPian

Need some advice for a water softener for our new house in Mysore. The water from the borewell is hard and hence we are searching for the ideal technology for water softening. EcoCrystal is suggesting a traditional water softening whereas another local Mysore company is suggesting a vertex based silicon dioxide crystal based solution. Unsure what would be the ideal solution for this residential requirement. Any help / suggestions much appreciated.
Old 14th October 2020, 19:13   #956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Need some advice for a water softener for our new house in Mysore. The water from the borewell is hard and hence we are searching for the ideal technology for water softening. EcoCrystal is suggesting a traditional water softening whereas another local Mysore company is suggesting a vertex based silicon dioxide crystal based solution. Unsure what would be the ideal solution for this residential requirement. Any help / suggestions much appreciated.
That vortex based SiO2 , is it the one that does not need any maintenance and is just a tube filled with SiO2 crystal that softens hard water when it passes though it under pressure? If yes, i would strongly suggest you stay away from it. There is no scientific literature backing it and I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that how hard water passed through the tube under pressure will deactivate the minerals causing hardness.

I was told a lot of gyaan about propriety SiO2 crystals, molecule alignment blah blah about this vortex based thingy when I was looking for a home water softener unit. But , I was not convinced in paying so much money(30K plus if i remember). I finally went for 3M passive softener unit which is connected inline to the sump pump. So the sump has the hard water. The pump forces hard water through this softener unit and the softened water flows up into over head tank

EDIT - The active softening consists of couple of tall towers filled with softening gel. That, in conjunction with salt water will soften water through reverse osmosis. If there is someone in the home who can recharge the softening unit with 50kg of salt mixed with water every week, then this is the best solution. You get pure soft water that is softer than cauvery water. Else, go with 3M passive softening system.

A word of caution. Whatever system you use, do not connect it inline with the borewell motor. The water pressure from borewell motor will be too high and the resistance to water in these devices will cause additional load on the motor and it will fail prematurely. And borewell motor repair is expensive. Pump the water to a sump or have a 1000 liter sintex tank somewhere on the ground floor. From there, have another 0.5 - 1.5 HP motor to move the hard water through the softening circuit and eventually to the over head tank

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 14th October 2020 at 19:24.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 19:28   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I finally went for 3M passive softener unit which is connected inline to the sump pump.
Can you please share details of 3M softener and its operating cost and maintenance required.
Old 14th October 2020, 19:41   #958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Can you please share details of 3M softener and its operating cost and maintenance required.

https://www.3mindia.in/3M/en_IN/puri...ention-system/

This deactivates the hardness, does not remove it. So the water is still not fit for drinking and you still need an RO for drinking water. Hence they are called scale prevention systems. You get good lather with soap.

Maintenance is simple. Replace the cartridge when you see the scales reappearing on your taps and bath fittings
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 01:14   #959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
This deactivates the hardness, does not remove it. So the water is still not fit for drinking and you still need an RO for drinking water.
As an ex-Londoner, I drank very hard water for thirty years without coming to any harm. Never had a softener either. It's other stuff that makes water undrinkable.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:31   #960
Senior - BHPian

I got myself a mi tds checker and it shows my tap water having a TDS of 30 and my RO filtered water as 12!

Faulty meter? But if correct what should i do?

Most Viewed