Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2023, 09:21   #1126
BANNED

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Is anyone using Pureit (Copper) RO?
It is showing SF/GKK error - red indicator, and the filter is not working.

I wanted some idea, if both or only one of these need changing - so that service technician does not fool us.

How long do these filters usually last?

----------------------------------
(last time he visited for a repair, the experiece wasnt good, because he lied, tried to fool us, took 3 visits for a simple rubber seal to be fixed. he was reluctant to do it for some reason)
Old 6th May 2023, 09:46   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Is anyone using Pureit (Copper) RO?
It is showing SF/GKK error - red indicator, and the filter is not working.

I wanted some idea, if both or only one of these need changing - so that service technician does not fool us.

How long do these filters usually last?
I had mine serviced recently from urban company. The pureit guys wanted to replace both SF and GKK. The UC guy inspected the SF and GKK and informed there was no need for replacement. He just reset the indicator and asked me to replace it after 6 months. SF can be cleaned and reused. Take a second opinion if you can.
manubg92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 13:58   #1128
Distinguished - BHPian

TDS Testers are not expensive. I got this Mi one (Amazon link) some time back.

We can see for ourselves how our machines are performing.

Read the display carefully. After a full service of our machine, this year, I tested, and we told our service guy that the treated water was reading higher than the un-treated!

He asked, "Does the display for untreated also show a small '*10'?" Duh! I felt silly!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 14:28   #1129
BHPian

My Kent RO got serviced today. I had purchased it in May 2020 and was not serviced till today even though I had option to get free service for the first four years. All the filters were replaced costing 5k+. My bad - I was not aware that the filters need to be changed once a year.

The input reading was 700 TDS and output was 20 TDS before filter change today. Very low TDS and technician told it would result in depletion of essential minerals. The optimum should be around 100.

Read online that US military and NASA astronauts regularly consume distilled water but with no side effects. Confused here..
Old 6th May 2023, 21:03   #1130
Senior - BHPian

If the reduction is 700 to 20 ppm, you may want to check the time taken to fill tank. It could be possible that the membrane is 90% choked and very less permeation. (yes, even with 10% passage you can get 20 ppm output water).

Always it is a good indicator to approximately watch the time taken for filling 1 full tank. More time means entire system is getting clogged slowly.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 21:29   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
If the reduction is 700 to 20 ppm, you may want to check the time taken to fill tank. It could be possible that the membrane is 90% choked and very less permeation. (yes, even with 10% passage you can get 20 ppm output water).

Always it is a good indicator to approximately watch the time taken for filling 1 full tank. More time means entire system is getting clogged slowly.
During installation, an external filter was used to push cleaner water to the purifier. This filter was very much choked. The filtered water was good to taste and time to fill entire tank was about 35 minutes.

Recommended water purifier?-filter.jpeg
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 07:30   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Please remember the time (approx.) For filling tank when the system is new and later after few months check it again. TDS is not an indicator of pre filters choking. TDS varies only if RO membrane is choked or ruptured. Pre filter, cartridge filter etc getting clogged will reflect on time taken to fill the tank.
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 12:24   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Please remember the time (approx.) For filling tank when the system is new and later after few months check it again. TDS is not an indicator of pre filters choking. TDS varies only if RO membrane is choked or ruptured. Pre filter, cartridge filter etc getting clogged will reflect on time taken to fill the tank.
Got a new TDS meter today and checked the TDS for the newly replaced filters. Shows a value of 44.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 14:46   #1134
BHPian

For our family's ancestral home away from city, I bought a generic 5-stage RO (undersink) last year for Rs 6000.00 from the local wholesale market in Ranigunj, Hyderabad. I didn't specifically go for a branded machine such as aquaguard or Kent as it will be hard to get a technican all the way out there. I installed it myself , and recently changed (DIY again) all 5 filters for Rs 2000.00 from the same market. The shopkeepers were saying that very rarely homeowners comeby to purchase filters. Its mostly technicians who purchase filters in bulk, and upsell with annual service at homes. The RO has been performing well as there isn't much IP in this filter. All the parts are off the shelf with a simple assemble by the wholesaler, which gives me flexibility to replace bad parts easily. The SMPS conked off earlier this year and I replaced it with a same-spec generic one for Rs. 300.00
Old 8th May 2023, 15:24   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Got a new TDS meter today and checked the TDS for the newly replaced filters. Shows a value of 44.
44 ppm is fine. Always check input TDS at the same time. Increase in input TDS will give corresponding hike in output TDS, which is normal. Keep it as baseline, along with time taken for full tank. Check after 3 months usage. Like I have said here many times, try to use it as batch process, instead of leaving it on.
Old 18th May 2023, 19:20   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
44 ppm is fine. Always check input TDS at the same time. Increase in input TDS will give corresponding hike in output TDS, which is normal. Keep it as baseline, along with time taken for full tank. Check after 3 months usage. Like I have said here many times, try to use it as batch process, instead of leaving it on.
Checked the TDS today - gone to 23 again. The value was 44 ten days back. Planning to call Kent tomorrow.
Old 19th May 2023, 14:20   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checked the TDS today - gone to 23 again. The value was 44 ten days back. Planning to call Kent tomorrow.
Why call Kent? What do you think went wrong? What was input TDS?
Old 19th May 2023, 14:29   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Why call Kent? What do you think went wrong? What was input TDS?
Before changing the filters it was 20 and went to 44 once changed. Now it is back to 20s. Input TDS is 330.
Old 20th May 2023, 08:12   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Please note that after change of filters the system takes a few cycles to stabilize. It could give erratic reading in between. Just keep it running and after few days check the parameters. As long as your output TDS is not 100, don't bother the system.
Old 6th June 2023, 11:42   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
My Kent RO got serviced today. I had purchased it in May 2020 and was not serviced till today even though I had option to get free service for the first four years. All the filters were replaced costing 5k+. My bad - I was not aware that the filters need to be changed once a year.

The input reading was 700 TDS and output was 20 TDS before filter change today. Very low TDS and technician told it would result in depletion of essential minerals. The optimum should be around 100.
They push for annual change for obvious business reasons. Based on the number of litres filtration capacity of the filters(6000L for EF) and the TDS of water in your area and your consumption it can very well last 1.5 to 2 years.
Low TDS is fine if you are getting your minerals from food etc. All packaged drinking water have very low TDS and are considered to be safe. TDS is increased by mixing unfiltered water in small proportion. Too much of it can again lead to same issues as unfiltered water.
huntrz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks