Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 11:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The zero-B units should be serviced every four months. There are the filter cartridges as well as the RO membrane, and they should be cleaned at each service, and replaced, --- I forget, but ours have been replaced once. I believe that the RO membrane is self-cleaning, but its life is not infinite and it can be damaged by chlorine in the water, I think.
I was reading that one of these ones come with a membrane 'auto-flush' feature.

How much does the membrane cost? Is the running costs high?
Old 18th March 2009, 12:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

Kent uses RO Filters made by DOW. So in case you know someone in DOW India, you should get a good deal.

PS: I once knew the gentleman who used to take care of this while I was with Dow India. Unfortunately have lost his number.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:08   #63
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Threads merged, kindly use search function before starting new threads
Old 18th March 2009, 12:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

I have been a happy customer of Aquaguard UV purifier since 1991. I got the circuitry upgraded 5 years back and it is working great till now.

But the only hitch is having to pay Rs 900 every year for the AMC---they change the candle once and activated carbon twice during the year for that price.

Recently, a local RO salesman came to give us a demo. My wife was interested because our neighbour has bought Kent RO a year ago after chucking up her 12 year old Aquaguard. The salesman had some instrument for measuring the water impurity in particles--I think they call it TPM.
He first measured my drinking water--the reading was 250. With the aquaguard it was around 160. Ground water tap gave a reading of 600. He said he'd bring his machine to show that the TPM would be below 40 with his RO system. My wife came up with a brilliant idea just then---she asked the neighbour for a glass of water from her Kent system.

Guess what the TPM was? It was merely 7---yes, seven! I was pretty impressed. I took a swig of the Kent water and found it tastes as great as natural water one gets in the mountains! We got rid of the salesman and decided then and there that we were going in for Kent RO system---compared to the local system, it also has UV filtration.
After hard bargaining, we got an offer for Rs 13500, in place of Rs 15500. But the only hitch is that my wife is insisting that he give us Rs 2000 for the Aquaguard, which the local system guy had offered. GOK when it will get resolved, but one thing is sure, we are going in for Kent RO system. I don't believe all that hogwash about losing essential nutrients---I think it's a rumour spread by Eureka Forbes to safeguard their sales.
Well, that's my two cents.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:25   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

I enjoy having our RO machine; I like that there is drinking water on tap.

In financial terms, though, for a couple like us, it should have been a non-starter.

I did work out how many 20ltr cans of drinking water we could have bought for the money --- and they would have lasted us a long, long time.

Apart from sheer 'pride' of ownership (Gadget Gallery!) there is a genuine advantage that one knows where one's water comes from, and that one knows the maintenance history.
Old 18th March 2009, 15:42   #66
BHPian

Can anyone post their actual yearly maintenance costs on a Kent RO system? Thanks
Old 21st April 2009, 16:36   #67

Reviving this thread again, after all a non-car related thread can be expected to keep going stale every now and then

Quote:
And now, problem is that I find ANYWHERE else water to be brackish, unless its from another RO!
I really believe in this one, for all you know the Rs.60 can may not be even worth Rs. 6 also. I have seen (in news) so often, that these cans being filled with regular supply water with some very basic filtering mechanisms. There is a whole unorganized industry which flourishes around refilling 25ltr containers.
Old 9th May 2009, 10:14   #68
BHPian

suggestions needed for a new water purifier

hello

im planning to buy a water purifier for my home.There are primarily two types of purifiers with RO ans UV types.We stay at central chennai and we have metrowater(municipality) connection.The sample was tested and the report says total TDS as 250mg/L against 2000mg/L permissible limits.
Other tests show turbidity as 10 against 10(permissible limit) and Iron component as 1.0mg/L against permissible limit of 1.0mg/L.All other chemical components are well below permissible limits.

1. Under this condition is it necessary to go for a RO purifier or will a UV type be enough?

2. What is the primary differnce between a storage type and free-flow purifier?

3. Kent or Aquaguard or any other brand and type.(although all of them have equal service hassles)

Thanks
Old 9th May 2009, 10:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

UV should do the job. RO is good but I have heard that it makes the water `tasteless'. Aquaguard (with known service issues). I have an Aquaguard since 1997 with a new one in 2008 (also UV).
Old 9th May 2009, 12:40   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
UV should do the job. RO is good but I have heard that it makes the water `tasteless'. Aquaguard (with known service issues). I have an Aquaguard since 1997 with a new one in 2008 (also UV).
it would be great if u can share the model no. and yor experience
Old 9th May 2009, 15:39   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
But the only hitch is having to pay Rs 900 every year for the AMC---they change the candle once and activated carbon twice during the year for that price.
My Aquaguard UV Filter (Crystal) is around 14 months old.
Around 8 months back, the Aquaguard guy came and did a free service.
I have no idea if he changed the candle or carbon or anything.
Do you know what they do at the free service - after 6 months.

And if I don't have a AMC - how would I know when to change the
candle or carbon?

I paid around 5K or 6K for the machine. Paying 20% of the cost as
AMC seems pretty high to me.
Old 9th May 2009, 16:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

If you get muicipal water (soft water).. then no need to go in for an RO.

I've installed PureIt for last 10 months and am pretty happy!
Old 9th May 2009, 16:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
we loose minerals etc etc. water was supposed to be water only not source of minerals. further many minerals are stored in the body and are required in such micro quantities one can not take them daily in water. most of the bottled water sold as mineral water. actually they ozonize after Ro purification to get that taste nothing else. people tend to think they are getting minerals from water.
Hi RKG, very valid point and i tend to agree! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3g0l4s View Post
Instead why not consider packaged drinking water ? 25 litres kinley costs me just 60 bucks ! And over that home delievered free of cost !
We get 25 litres brand XXX at 20 bucks a capsule!! And the cost of manufacture of 1 litre of RO water is around 70 paise only!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I've installed PureIt for last 10 months and am pretty happy!
Where do we get Pure IT.. in Chennai?
Old 9th May 2009, 20:01   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Water purifiers should be serviced at least three times a year, which is how often our Zero-B gets a visit.

At a "minor service" the filters are washed under the tap. At a "major service" (I forget, two years maybe) they are replaced.

This does not mean the RO membrane: that is an expensive thing that is only replaced if necessary. I think they are around 10,000.
Old 9th May 2009, 22:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

I have been having PureIT and been using it for close to 2 years now. Brought is when it came to the market and got it for 1600Rs. Have had 2 change of the "battery" (as they call it) so far.

The end product is taste free and is definitely safe.

And the service is also good, so far. A phone call and the service agent comes down the next day.

Most Viewed