Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:42   #106
Senior - BHPian

We have 2 Zero B RO water filters one is around 5 yrs old (At my parents place) & the other on is 1.5 yrs old. One thing I found about these machines is that they are durable & sturdy machines.
In the 5 years old machine we have just replaced the main membrane filter once. Yet to replace any filters in the 1.5 yrs old machine. In our area the TDS value is around 550.

The service of Zero B is not at all a problem as they often call you on a quarterly basis. However the overall AMC is quite expense which covers all parts & labour.

Only draw back of is that it does not have a very modern appearance, but who cares for the look. All I want a trouble free machine which work dependably.

This write up is not an product endorsement , but I have just shared my experience with product.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:54   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
What is the size of the water softener
Do we need to change some salt/membrane etc
Any standard company which is providing as I was thinking to add the same in existing Aquagaurd e-boiling model
Not sure about size but speed is @ 1lit/min.
It came as accessory from aquagaurd.
There is no need to change salt, membrane etc.
It works without power.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:06   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Not sure about size but speed is @ 1lit/min.
It came as accessory from aquagaurd.
There is no need to change salt, membrane etc.
It works without power.
OK let mecheck with Aquaguard if they can provide such unit to the existing eboiling model.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:55   #109
BHPian

After reading through this topic, I got in touch with Kent and had a live demo of their RC system done at my home today. They had this thing called a water electroliser for testing water. It is supposedly breaks up the chemical bonds of the various impurities in the water, freeing it up and... whatever (I did not major in chemistry). The attached photo speaks for itself. The colour of the mineral water is probably due to iron and other minerals.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommended water purifier?-watertest.jpg  

Last edited by Guite : 14th August 2009 at 13:59.
Old 25th August 2009, 13:50   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post

The competition in the domestic RO segment is largely down to to players - ION EXCHANGE (Zero B) and KENT.

I find that the ION EXCHANGE Machine is by far the better of the two - since it incorporates all of the above - specially the three separate stages of sediment filtration(20 and 5 micron though) and their auto flush mechanism. They also use silver impregnated activated charcoal - which is better than regular ACC. (this prevents bacterial growth on the carbon itself)

KENT unfortunately does not have any of this - BUT they have UV (whether the water flow is calibrated is debatable but guess post RO even mild doses may be effective.)

Now this is where I am stuck . My wife suffers from hypothyroidism (Hypothyroidism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Exposure to iodine is not advisable. Hence Zero B is ruled out unless I can find some method of retro fitting a UV chamber (in place of their last filter) to the machine.
My Kent has a 2 stage sediment filter----one in an external candle, and one within the unit. My colleague bought one a few weeks ago, and he too has a 2 stage sediment filter---he also has a water level measurement that I dont have.
If Zero B uses iodine, it is bad for people with Hypothyroidism. I know because I had hyperthyroidism long back, and I have friends who have hypothyroidism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Guys i am planning to buy a RO water purifier.

Zeroed in 2 models --> Zero B and Kent. Which is a better one ?

I currently use a Aqua guard. Currently Aqua guard costs me 700 odd bucks for 6 month period.
Just wanted to know how much would the normal maintenance charges of Kent and Zero B. my decision would be based on the annual running costs as well as A.S.S of both these products.
So do send me the feed back!
thanks.
I would vouch for Kent. Since my unit is new, I cannot predict the maintenance costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Hows about the Eureka Forbes Aquaguard Total RO water purifier? Is this any good compared to the Kent?

Aquaguard Total RO Smart Turbo Water Purifier - 100% Safe Water for your Family
I doubt if they can beat Kent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I am also looking to change my existing Aquagaurd eboiling model to some RO model.
Checked Aquaguard/Kent/Zero-B
I talked to the household who have these models.
Aquagaurd is good but setup is big with some small plastic cylinder outside with pipes going here and there
Kent is best in terms of compact and water sweetness
Zero-B I felt some smell was coming after purification which was not there in other 2 models. Owner also said the same.

Note : I am comparing the models in same apartment so water supply is common. Also I am changing as water hardness has increased a lot recently

Edit : I came to know this model "Aquaguard Total RO SMART TURBO" from vid6639 link. Did anyone tried this model. Please let us know the feedback

What is the size of the water softener
Do we need to change some salt/membrane etc
Any standard company which is providing as I was thinking to add the same in existing Aquagaurd e-boiling model
No idea, but Kent is good.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:45   #111
BHPian

I zeroed to buy Kent
I have checked with many guys and each is quoting in range 14.5 to 15.5 K for same model. Any one has contact number through which I can get fair deal. I am looking in Bangalore
Old 26th August 2009, 20:37   #112
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
Hows about the Eureka Forbes Aquaguard Total RO water purifier? Is this any good compared to the Kent?
I doubt if they can beat Kent.
Why do you doubt it?
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:13   #113
BHPian

re: Recommended water purifier?

Anyone tried the aquaguard TOTAL SENSA? it's supposedto be an all in one system which figures out what filtration to do. So whatever kind of water you throw at it, perfect drinking water comes out. At least, thats the ad story! Any experiences?

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 6th February 2011, 19:23   #114
BHPian

hi all,
Need some suggestions. I need a purifier for my Inlaws place, and they get Bangalore Corporation water (Kaveri) pumped into an overhead tank.

The options i have now seem to be:
1. Pure IT type ones (what exactly is their filtering system? Does it use an iodine based system?
2. UV systems (most popular being Eureka forbes).

I have ruled out RO as they get fairly decent water.
What system do you guys suggest considering low annual costs + nominal filteration + bacteria killing.
Old 11th February 2011, 13:02   #115
BHPian

Folks,
I have a Eureka forbes water purifier and have been using it for the last 2 years now.I also have an AMC which I purchased for 2 years till 2011 end.
Now that I have shifted to my new apartment(the water is pretty hard here),I've been thinking of changing to a RO based water purifier.
2 questions.
Will any showroom offer me an exchange for a new RO based purifier?
Which is the best purifier considering that the borewell water in my apartment is pretty hard?
Old 11th February 2011, 13:28   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Which is the best purifier considering that the borewell water in my apartment is pretty hard?[/i]
Same case with water in my apartment.

Last year, i shifted to kent Ro system and i am happy about it.
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:28   #117
BHPian

Re: High Radon in borewell water across B’lore

High Radon in borewell water across B’lore S Lalitha, May 5, Bangalore, DHNS:
Bangaloreans making use of freshly pumped borewell water for drinking purposes need to put an abrupt end to the practice.
For, the carcinogenic, radioactive gas, Radon has been found to be present 100 times above the permissible limit in water samples analysed across the City. A detailed study on the presence of Radon in groundwater was conducted by a team of the Central Ground Water Board, based at HSR Layout, following a directive from the Centre’s Ministry of Water Resources.

The results have been published in this month’s edition of the internationally recognised ‘Journal of the Geological Society of India.’ Elaborating on the health hazards posed by this gas, widely recognised as the daughter product of Uranium, Regional Director at the Institute, T M Hunse, said that the decay products from radon form fine dust, enters lungs and get stuck to lung tissues.

“Many lung cancer cases are attributed to Radon exposure. The impact on smokers is much higher,” he informed. The solid decay products like Polonium-218, Polonium-214 and lead-210 are the most damaging as they fix themselves on tobacco smoke and enter lungs, Hunse explained.

The positive aspect of this gas is that it has a half life of only 3.8 days, states K Mohammad Najeeb, also a Regional Director. “Hence, groundwater pumped from borewells and stored in overhead tanks turn out to be safe for consumption. The radon gas escapes into the atmosphere drastically reducing its concentration in water, thus making it safe for drinking,” he elaborated.

Thirty ground water samples were taken from borewells across the City. The permissible limit for Radon in water is 11.83 Bq/L (Becquerel per litres). The study revealed that Radon concentration varied between 56 Bq/L and 947 Bq/l in the samples.

Water from a borewell at Talghatapura revealed the highest radon concentration of 1189 Bq/l while samples from a borewell at Majestic area showed 946.69 Bq/l. The lowest presence of Radon, 55.96 Bq/L was detected in a water taken from a borewell in Srinivasapura. Not a single well showed Radon to be below the permissible limits, the study concluded. The depth of borewell and radon concentration had no relation at all, he said.

“If one has no other option than groundwater for drinking, then it is imperative that water pumped for borewells be stored before consumption,” advised Hunse

High Radon in borewell water across B’lore

Is there any purifier which can overcome this? Please advice.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:28   #118
Senior - BHPian

Boiling the water would take care of this since Radon would evaporate.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:40   #119
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: High Radon in borewell water across B’lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Is there any purifier which can overcome this? Please advice.
I think even the regular UV filter with activated Carbon would remove radon from drinking water.

However, Radon isn't good even in bathing water, since you would be inhaling it.
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:59   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Boiling the water would take care of this since Radon would evaporate.
+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I think even the regular UV filter with activated Carbon would remove radon from drinking water.

However, Radon isn't good even in bathing water, since you would be inhaling it.
We mostly used the borewell water for drinking/cooking purpose, and the city water supply for all other purpose. Now we have to use the city water supply through a water purifier for drinking/cooking purpose.

Last edited by JMaruru : 3rd March 2011 at 13:00.

Most Viewed