Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 14:09   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Recommended water purifier?

Finally purchased the water purifier. I purchased the Kent Pearl model. It is the Zxi variant of Kent water purifiers. It has RO + UF + UV + TDS controller. Unique feature of Pearl model is that it has a detachable water storage tank, which can be easily detached by user and washed separately.

The overall purchase experience was not so pleasant. The local dealer took more than a day to contact me after I called up the Kent toll free number and gave my contact details. Installation took 5 days from day1. The attitude of the dealer was very "Sarkari", it seems they work only on weekdays between 10 to 5. Service is going to be a big hassle for me.

I knew about Kent's poor service, but in RO water purification systems, the customer doesn't have any other reputed options.

The brand new water purifier had a leaky tap, which was replaced with a third party tap by the installation guy.

It seems that Kent products are well engineered but are let down by poor quality control and poor service network.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 18th May 2011 at 14:20.
Old 18th May 2011, 15:14   #137
BANNED

@rohan_iitr; Did you really need an RO? The dealers are very keen t sell you only RO.

My own AquaGuard packed up after about nine years (one of the containers corroded through). We are in a hard water area, but decided against a RO since they waste a lot of water (at least 70%), and are more expensive to run and maintain. If you are in a hard water area then TDS controller is a joke (barely 10% of non-RO water will be allowed to mix). The two brand leaders in RO are Kent and ZeroB (Ion Exchange). While the former uses UV for finishing the latter uses Iodine for the same purpose.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:42   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@rohan_iitr; Did you really need an RO? The dealers are very keen t sell you only RO.

My own AquaGuard packed up after about nine years (one of the containers corroded through). We are in a hard water area, but decided against a RO since they waste a lot of water (at least 70%), and are more expensive to run and maintain. If you are in a hard water area then TDS controller is a joke (barely 10% of non-RO water will be allowed to mix). The two brand leaders in RO are Kent and ZeroB (Ion Exchange). While the former uses UV for finishing the latter uses Iodine for the same purpose.
No I didn't really need RO purifier. At my current residence, the TDS level measured was in the 200 range.

Even the dealer was not pushing for RO purifer, he said that UV purifier would suffice for such TDS levels.

But I am not sure about the source of water supply in our apartment. Our apartment has corporation water supply, but it is not sufficient. So additional water tankers are also used in addition to corporation water. The source of water in these water tankers is most likely to be boring water.

Also, I am staying in a rented apartment. I have purchased RO + UV system so that I can take it along in case I change my residence and would not have to worry about buying another purifier in case the new house does not have corporation water supply.

I do agree that TDS controller is a joke. It just combines RO purified water with UF purified water to generated the desired TDS level in the output stream. The only saving grace is that this RO/UF filtered water is finally treated in the UV part before delivering to the storage tank.

Also agree that RO systems waste a lot of water. As per the user manual, this waste water can be used for gardening, cleaning utensils etc.

Rohan
Old 19th May 2011, 21:29   #139
BHPian

Hello All,

Would like to get some idea/suggestion regarding TataSwach

TATA Swach : NANOTECH WATER PURIFIER
Old 20th May 2011, 09:49   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
No I didn't really need RO purifier. At my current residence, the TDS level measured was in the 200 range.

Even the dealer was not pushing for RO purifer, he said that UV purifier would suffice for such TDS levels.

But I am not sure about the source of water supply in our apartment. Our apartment has corporation water supply, but it is not sufficient. So additional water tankers are also used in addition to corporation water. The source of water in these water tankers is most likely to be boring water.

Also, I am staying in a rented apartment. I have purchased RO + UV system so that I can take it along in case I change my residence and would not have to worry about buying another purifier in case the new house does not have corporation water supply.

I do agree that TDS controller is a joke. It just combines RO purified water with UF purified water to generated the desired TDS level in the output stream. The only saving grace is that this RO/UF filtered water is finally treated in the UV part before delivering to the storage tank.

Also agree that RO systems waste a lot of water. As per the user manual, this waste water can be used for gardening, cleaning utensils etc.

Rohan
Hi,

If you are unsure about the source of water, it is better to go for RO purifier. In my apartment, TDS level was 250 when checked in Feb and 800 when checked in March.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:55   #141
BHPian

I am planning to buy a purifier and registered in websites of Kent and Eureka Forges. Yesterday Kent guy came for demo. We are using piped water supplied by Thrissur Municipality and TDS was measured to be 41. Kent guy recommended UV purifier as TDS was low. Model suggested were Kent Ultra and quaoted Rs 7900.00. Aquaguard guy called today and suggested Classic (Rs7390.00) or Infiniti (Rs 9990) models. BHPs, your valuable opinion and recommendations please.
Old 26th May 2011, 13:24   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I am planning to buy a purifier and registered in websites of Kent and Eureka Forges. Yesterday Kent guy came for demo. We are using piped water supplied by Thrissur Municipality and TDS was measured to be 41. Kent guy recommended UV purifier as TDS was low. Model suggested were Kent Ultra and quaoted Rs 7900.00. Aquaguard guy called today and suggested Classic (Rs7390.00) or Infiniti (Rs 9990) models. BHPs, your valuable opinion and recommendations please.
Best option would be to boil water and use rather than going through the hassles of servicing these purifiers.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 14:31   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Kent Ultra UV is available for 6.5K in Bangalore. The price seems to be quite high at your place. Check out with some other dealers.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:30   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Finally purchased the water purifier. I purchased the Kent Pearl model. It is the Zxi variant of Kent water purifiers. It has RO + UF + UV + TDS controller.
=============
It seems that Kent products are well engineered but are let down by poor quality control and poor service network.

Rohan
Can you post the price and dealer info for pearl model?
I'm thinking about getting it from letsbuy, but i'm not sure about the installation :( Will company send the installation engineers?
Old 4th August 2011, 09:44   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Can you post the price and dealer info for pearl model?
I'm thinking about getting it from letsbuy, but i'm not sure about the installation :( Will company send the installation engineers?
I had called the toll free number of Kent. They coordinate with the dealer in you city and then the dealer contacts you. The dealer will explain to you about the various models and then you can choose according to your need.

My dealer was Pure Water House. The purifier is sent through courier and then the installation person comes to your house for installation.

MRP of Kent was Rs 16.5k (IIRC), but the dealer gives discount on the MRP. I got it for exactly 15k a few months back.

Better to buy from authorised dealers only. If you buy online, you may not get proper service in the future.

Rohan
Old 4th August 2011, 18:40   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I have their RO Elite version installed at home.
I am extremely satisfied with EcoCrystal RO Elite version of water purifier. PPM count in our area is between 430 - 490. It is serving well for last 1.8 years and I need not to change candles/RO thingy. Unlike Kent & Aquaguard changes every 6 month or year and cash-in on AMC charges.

Technician comes and did the backflush and clear all impurities. He said candles will last 6 more month.

In our apartment fellow residents are not happy with Kent and their service.
Old 4th August 2011, 23:29   #147
BHPian

After a long research I bought the KENT RO at 14K. Seems to be good, they have installed the system very quick. Now the question is that it waste lots of water. Almost like 50-60 of water gets waste. Any idea how we can utilise the waste water.In Bangalore the water is a BIG scarcity in every area.

Last edited by arin_12 : 4th August 2011 at 23:41.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:44   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
After a long research I bought the KENT RO at 14K. Seems to be good, they have installed the system very quick. Now the question is that it waste lots of water. Almost like 50-60 of water gets waste. Any idea how we can utilise the waste water.In Bangalore the water is a BIG scarcity in every area.
This waste water can be used for watering the plants, washing clothes, washing utensils, mopping the floor, cleaning the car etc.

Rohan
Old 5th August 2011, 11:23   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This waste water can be used for watering the plants, washing clothes, washing utensils, mopping the floor, cleaning the car etc.

Rohan
The TDS count of reject water is very high. Hence it is not recommended to be used for washing clothes, washing utensils, mopping the floor, cleaning the car etc.

It can be used for watering plants.
Old 5th August 2011, 13:52   #150
BHPian

Quote:
My dealer was Pure Water House. MRP of Kent was Rs 16.5k (IIRC)...
Thanks rohan finally i ordered from letsbuy itself, since everywhere now they are quoting 15K minimum :( and where in letsbuy its available for 14K after discount. I checked with kent CC( and even they have online store now... ). According to them the installation will be done by company people only!

Most Viewed