Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 13:11   #271
BHPian

re: Recommended water purifier?

Hi, I would recommend a Kent Ro purifier,have been using it for the past 3 years, it is really good and renders water safe for drinking and cooking. There is an adjustment for checking on the mineral content , and adjusting the PH levels. While here in Bangalore, I'm fortunate to be using Cauvery water, it is no way directly drinkable. So if you want to have safe and tasty drinking water a RO. filter is the way to go. It is more expensive to buy as well as to maintain than other conventional purifiers, but it is worth it.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:50   #272
BANNED

Any reports about the newer ones like HUL and Electrolux?
Old 29th July 2013, 17:12   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any reports about the newer ones like HUL and Electrolux?
Have seen on the net that the HUL units are not as robust/ well built like Eureka Forbes.
And Electrolux RO purifiers are manufactured under collaboration with Kent. So they should be the same, but Electrolux is supposed to be aesthetically pleasing.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:02   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

3k is the AMC cost and 1200 is the cost of filters (excluding RO membrane) which should be replaced annually. Hope that clarifies it.

Rohan
Thanks Rohan,

Though, I was quoted 2K for AMC. And anyway, hence I have taken the plunge, lets see how much does it actually costs.
Old 30th July 2013, 18:11   #275
mxx
BHPian

Contrary to many posts here, RO removes microbes.
Please refer to Reverse osmosis section in this link:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drin...treatment.html

Quoting content from the link above:
Quote:
Reverse Osmosis Systems
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems use a process that reverses the flow of water in a natural process of osmosis so that water passes from a more concentrated solution to a more dilute solution through a semi-permeable membrane. Pre- and post-filters are often incorporated along with the reverse osmosis membrane itself.
  • A reverse osmosis filter has a pore size of approximately 0.0001 micron.
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing protozoa (for example, Cryptosporidium, Giardia);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing bacteria (for example, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing viruses (for example, Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems will remove common chemical contaminants (metal ions, aqueous salts), including sodium, chloride, copper, chromium, and lead; may reduce arsenic, fluoride, radium, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, and phosphorous.
So, RO is NOT just for removing hardness.
It is always better to go for RO+UV purifier.

Last edited by mxx : 30th July 2013 at 18:12.
Old 30th July 2013, 18:28   #276
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Contrary to many posts here, RO removes microbes.
So, RO is NOT just for removing hardness.
It is always better to go for RO+UV purifier.
UV also kills microbes. So why do you need 2 things?
Old 30th July 2013, 19:43   #277
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
UV also kills microbes. So why do you need 2 things?
First of all the price difference between RO only and RO+UV is only around 10%. Which comes to around 2000 rupees. I feel since it is our health in question the difference of 2000 rupees is money well spend. Considering that you will use the device for at least 5 years, it works out to just 400 per year.
In RO+UV purifier, UV acts as a fail safe measure, to neutralize any microbes that might have escaped RO. That said RO is generally more effective in removing microbes. Towards end of RO membrane life - ie time for RO replacement - even if RO is not as effective, you will still have protection of UV.

Last edited by mxx : 30th July 2013 at 19:48.
Old 30th July 2013, 20:17   #278
BANNED

Quote:
First of all the price difference between RO only and RO+UV is only around 10%.
Ok - your post wasn't clear. You said "RO also removes microbes". So it seemed like you were talking about RO+UV over UV.
I was talking about the other option - buying just a UV - that's what I have - I see no reason to buy a RO+UV.

Last edited by carboy : 30th July 2013 at 20:19.
Old 30th July 2013, 20:27   #279
Senior - BHPian

We have the marvelo from pure it and its just brilliant. It turns our salt water to aqua fina like purity. I would recommend Marvelo anyday over other brands for in chennai the number of service centers are high and their service is also rated high.
Old 30th July 2013, 21:17   #280
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Ok - your post wasn't clear. You said "RO also removes microbes". So it seemed like you were talking about RO+UV over UV.
I was talking about the other option - buying just a UV - that's what I have - I see no reason to buy a RO+UV.
Ok, I get it. The reason why I made the post saying RO removes microbes, is because I saw many posts in this thread which said, RO is only for removing hardness and not microbes.
Old 1st August 2013, 15:08   #281
BHPian

Currently, we use tap water to wash fruits and vegetables. Kent has recently come out with a Vegetable & Fruit Purifier. Seems to be highly priced - at Rs 6K. Website lists has no concrete information about this, just mentions a revolutionary ozone treatment. Any reviews?

Any reason why anyone would pick this one over the cheaper Tata Swach or Pureits which retail around Rs. 1-1.5K? Pureit has a filter life of 1250 lts and Tata lists a capacity of 3000 lts.
Old 1st August 2013, 17:08   #282
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Currently, we use tap water to wash fruits and vegetables. Kent has recently come out with a Vegetable & Fruit Purifier. Seems to be highly priced - at Rs 6K. Website lists has no concrete information about this, just mentions a revolutionary ozone treatment. Any reviews?

Any reason why anyone would pick this one over the cheaper Tata Swach or Pureits which retail around Rs. 1-1.5K? Pureit has a filter life of 1250 lts and Tata lists a capacity of 3000 lts.
I dont have too much knowledge on the Kent ozone purifier. But usually food items are ozone treated to kill microbes, fungi etc and enhance shelf life. This product might be using similar technology.
What you get from Swach and Pureits is just filtered water.
Old 1st August 2013, 17:28   #283
BANNED

Quote:

This is not directed to you in particular - but in general.

Why should anyone wash fruits and vegetables with Filtered water, where does this paranoia end? When you are drinking water from a glass - are you also going to wash the glass with filtered water? The water from the filter may be pure but water used to wash the glass may not be pure hence the filtered water may get contaminated when it reaches the glass. So let's assume you decide to wash all utensils with filtered water - what about the maid whose hand may be contaminated before she washes your vessels with filtered water. Finally, one might end up deciding to put one's mouth under the filter and drink water without using a glass at all.
Old 1st August 2013, 21:39   #284
BHPian

Quote:
This is not directed to you in particular - but in general.

Why should anyone wash fruits and vegetables with Filtered water, where does this paranoia end? When you are drinking water from a glass - are you also going to wash the glass with filtered water? The water from the filter may be pure but water used to wash the glass may not be pure hence the filtered water may get contaminated when it reaches the glass. So let's assume you decide to wash all utensils with filtered water - what about the maid whose hand may be contaminated before she washes your vessels with filtered water. Finally, one might end up deciding to put one's mouth under the filter and drink water without using a glass at all.
You've stolen my words carboy. I too have the same opinion, especially when it comes to buying bottled water at fine dining restaurants. If I relish their food which was made with the same 'regular' water, why should I purchase an overpriced bottle of mineral water?

The situation at home is not the same though. Using the example of fruits and vegetables led you to take a narrow point of view. There's loads of other things we use tap water for. Take a simple example, whilst preparing a packet of instant noodles or cooking oats, we use the regular tap water. Rationale being we're going to be boiling the water. But somehow yesterday, I wasnt convinced with this. Knowing that it would only take a thousand for my peace of mind, I started reading up on the inexpensive devices like the Swach and Pureit. 6K for a fruit and vegetable washer is an overkill.

Quote:
What you get from Swach and Pureits is just filtered water.
Having read up on the products, the websites mention killing x number of bacteria and viruses. Some technology involved (introduction of nano-silvers, so they say). Nothing like UV, but better than just regular filtered water.
Old 2nd August 2013, 06:10   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You've stolen my words carboy. I too have the same opinion, especially when it comes to buying bottled water at fine dining restaurants. If I relish their food which was made with the same 'regular' water, why should I purchase an overpriced bottle of mineral water?
The water they use for cooking will still suffice because during the process of cooking most Indian food, any bacteria will crease to exist in the food. Whereas if you happen to drink the same contaminated water, it will make you sick in no time. Hence the reason for buying packaged water in such eateries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks