Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2013, 21:39   #301
BHPian

I have recently seen Panasonic ro in the market as well, there are three variants, the higher model is very cutting edge

If I would not already had the Kent, I wld had gone for it
Old 31st August 2013, 12:14   #302
BHPian

re: Recommended water purifier?

Buy whatever, but never touch Whirlpool.Bought it and now repenting.At least 15 times it has stopped workingand now also dead.
Old 31st August 2013, 12:28   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I am a complete newbie to the water purifier discussion. What would be the best one kent/tata swach/ pure it???
Most of the brands are good and working on similar technologies. However on the basis of personal experiences I would suggest Pureit Marvella, and to ignore zero b. Zero b required constant attention every few months. Marvella on the other hand is trouble free for last 1.5 years.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:56   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...And there are marks on our toilet ceiling from learning the spray-under-pressure lesson!

Prices: Pressure pump, Rs16,500. Solar water heater (200 Litre vacuum tube model) Rs27,000.

Damn. Wish I hadn't asked now! I can't believe I spent that much --- although I have a very bad record in the spending department...
Thad, wanted to understand this pressure booster scenario a bit better. Is this installed on the terrace and works for the whole house? I suppose we will have to extend wiring to the terrace for running this motor?
Will this pressure affect water connected devices like a washing machine, an RO (though I dont have one at the moment), pressure washer, when I hook it up for cleaning?
also wanted to understand the toilet ceiling marks issue due to the pressure pump.

I have an issue that when someone opens a tap else where in the house, the shower or any other tap, slows down. Frustrating sometimes. Also needed to know if this should be switched on all the time or used when we want by switching on/off. Our bungalow has 2 tenants - one is my family on the ground floor and another family on the first floor. The terrace power is from the first floor house, so I will need to wire the pressure pump from ground floor all the way up.

Thanks much!
Old 5th September 2013, 14:11   #305
BHPian

Friends,

I am looking for a water purifier.
In my apartment, TDS level is around 550 (Ramamurthy Nagar, Bangalore) as per the measuring device brought by the PureIt Demo guy.

Initially, I thought of opting for UV filter but he is suggesting to go RO.
The problem with RO is insane water wastage.

So need your inputs on which one to go based on praticality?
UV with Water Cans -PureIt/Kent (or)
RO (for this waterlevel) - PureIt Marvella/Kent Supreme
If RO, what should be done about the water wastage?

Last edited by nfsfreak : 5th September 2013 at 14:12.
Old 11th October 2013, 11:04   #306
Senior - BHPian

I had a Whirlpool technician visit my home yesterday to attend to my washing machine under AMC. While leaving he told me of an exchange offer for their home RO system with my old Aquaguard for Rs 14500.00. He also tested our tap water and said the hardness level is 550 and the water will be perfectly potable with their system. The AMC after the first year will cost Rs 4000.00 P.A.

Right now we are buying packaged drinking water @ Rs 30.00 per can (20 litres), since municipal water is very irregular and so aquaguard is idle. This comes to ~Rs 450.00 a month. The cost will go up with time, but then so will the AMC for the UV system.

So I am wondering if it will be a good idea to buy one. If yes, what is the best system in terms of water purity and hassle free ownership?

Last edited by Gansan : 11th October 2013 at 11:05.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:31   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I had a Whirlpool technician visit my home yesterday to attend to my washing machine under AMC. While leaving he told me of an exchange offer for their home RO system with my old Aquaguard for Rs 14500.00. He also tested our tap water and said the hardness level is 550 and the water will be perfectly potable with their system. The AMC after the first year will cost Rs 4000.00 P.A.

Right now we are buying packaged drinking water @ Rs 30.00 per can (20 litres), since municipal water is very irregular and so aquaguard is idle. This comes to ~Rs 450.00 a month. The cost will go up with time, but then so will the AMC for the UV system.

So I am wondering if it will be a good idea to buy one. If yes, what is the best system in terms of water purity and hassle free ownership?

I know it is too late to ask the question. But have you purchased any?

As far as I know, whirlpool does not have any R&D in India for most of their home appliances. They just buy the stock from chinese OEMs or out-source the contract to local manufacturers in India. Their Invertors are actually contract manufactured from vendors in Noida.

When I moved to Bangalore from Chennai, my Whirlpool Invertor went kaput. The technician who is supposed to visit my home closed the support ticket without my knowledge, and even without visiting! After that I stayed away from Whirlpool in bangalore.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:44   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
I know it is too late to ask the question. But have you purchased any?
Why? I posted the question only a couple of hours ago!

No, I have not bought any yet. I am not convinced of their cost effectiveness over packaged drinking water.
Old 11th October 2013, 14:13   #309
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

No, I have not bought any yet. I am not convinced of their cost effectiveness over packaged drinking water.
What is the estimated spend on AMC + anything else? If you spend 4K per year, in which case it may not be worth buying for saving money. Convenience is a different question.

With packaged water - cost is 5400 per year.

With RO, it's 4000 + cost of money (Rs. 14500). At a reasonable 8%, cost of Rs. 14500 per year is 1160. So total is 5160 per year.

So you are saving 240 per year or 20Rs per month, if you go for RO. In your place, I would go for RO if I find packaged water inconvenient.

Last edited by carboy : 11th October 2013 at 14:17.
Old 11th October 2013, 14:24   #310
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry I confused the date with nfsfreak's 5th September post. My bad.

Regarding this RO systems, I evaluated some when I was in Chennai. I found most of the mechanical parts are identical between local vendors and Branded systems. Almost all the membrane filters are imported from US. The branded RO systems carry additional features, functions for USP and different styled containers to justify their price tag. I ordered my basic RO system from a vendor in Erode (my native) and it worked great in chennai without any issues. I just had to change the external 5micron filter once in a month. The 5 micron filter will cost you anywhere between Rs.150 to Rs.300 depending on the brand. Additionally I changed the RO tap once.

I'd suggest you go for a bigger tank RO system. When power fails on Sunday mornings for long time, the default 7 litre tank will not suffice, and will make your wife unhappy. I had my fair share of unpleasant sunday mornings in Velachery, Chennai.

And I did not find AMC to be very useful. My chennai AMC guy said the parts are covered under AMC, and when one of the inner filter got contaminated, he charged me saying that part doesnt come under free-replacement AMC. Somehow they try to find a way and charge the replacement parts. If you go for AMC, be sure to read the terms thoroughly and get a signed document.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:17   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
I'd suggest you go for a bigger tank RO system. When power fails on Sunday mornings for long time, the default 7 litre tank will not suffice, and will make your wife unhappy. I had my fair share of unpleasant sunday mornings in Velachery, Chennai.
For this purpose, I have retained my old stainless steel (candle based) water filter. I have taken off the upper tank which houses the candle and I store the RO water from Kent in this filter. This filter is placed right under the wall mounted Kent system and hence filling up this filter is never a problem. The RO system can hold additional 8 litres which can suffice in reasonable emergencies. No need to pay extra for bigger RO tank filters.
Old 28th October 2013, 21:22   #312
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have bought Luminous Magna RO+UV+UF water purifier? If you have used it, please provide feedback.

I am on a lookout for new RO water purifier around 15-16 K.

Any guidance or inputs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Anand
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:48   #313
BHPian

Anyone here using Pureit (20+ ltrs capacity)? I want to know how efficient they are when it comes to after sales service and how expensive their parts are? Please let me know as I need to buy one as soon as possible. Right now I'm buying packaged Bisleri water for 80 bucks for 20 litres (10 rupee delivery fee) and there are a couple of local packaged water brand for 35 rupees including delivery. So I was thinking of switching to one of those and filtering it further with Pureit. If there's any other brand apart from Pureit, then please suggest.
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:58   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have bought Luminous Magna RO+UV+UF water purifier? If you have used it, please provide feedback.

I am on a lookout for new RO water purifier around 15-16 K.

Any guidance or inputs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Anand
I had a look at Luminous RO purifiers while my hunt, but later went the Kent way due to service & parts availability. Obviously a product that has sold more will have better chances of ease of sourcing the filters & other replacements later. Just my 2 cents on it.
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:00   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
So I was thinking of switching to one of those and filtering it further with Pureit. If there's any other brand apart from Pureit, then please suggest.
I'd rather you not do the indian jugaad with the local 35 bucks thing. I'm from your city & i shudder to think that those 35 bucks local bottles are not filled up at public taps where all sorts of things go on (you know what i mean).

If you have a borewell you can filter that water with a water purifier as its a better bet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks