Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 15:15   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
you guys should definitely try: the amethyst!

not cheap... but delicious food! pasta and lasagne is awesome + nice garden to eat out in.

worth a visit!

also... any good places for veg food on ECR?
you should also try the one near Hotel President.. Its called Asvitha.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:30   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
Sangeetha in Adyar, is excellent not only for taste and but no after effects.
Absolutely agree, Sangeetha Adayar is one the best vegetarian restaurants there is. No gourmet cuisine and all that jazz. Only the normal fare, reasonably priced (A/C section is slightly expensive) and their breakfasts are lovely.

7:00 am any day at Sangeetha - hot breakfast with amazing choice. Nothing comes close. I have found that the first lot of sambar of the day is the best here. Their lunchtime meals are also superb.

1st Main Road, Gandhi Nagar, Adayar (2 minutes from the Madhya Kailash junction) if anybody wants to know where it is.

Triplicane Ratna Cafe is a strictly breakfast place, in my opinion. And the dirtier looking the branch, the better the food is. The branch on ECR opposite Thiruvanmiyur RTO is good but the sambar is toned down compared to the Venkatanarayana Road, T Nagar branch. The one at Chennai Central RS is permanently crowded - an indication of good food. The original branches look dirty but have the best sambar (to soak idlies & vadais in) in the world.

Last edited by hrag : 23rd January 2009 at 11:35.
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:50   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting to Sangitha in Adyar (for those not familiar with the area)

If you are coming from Madyar Kailash, it is no problem; you are on the correct side of the road, and only need enter the 'service' road.

From the other direction, I don't think one can U-turn at Madyar Kailash, which means quite a detour. Not so far in distance, but the traffic can be thick here.

You need to take the right turn before Adyar bus station, and use the road behind the shops, to the end, take left, and double back to Sangeetha.

It's just a pity that so many people agree about it being good! Very busy at busy times!
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:09   #154
BANNED

If you want to eat out and help a good cause, try Annalakshmi on Mount Road (entry from service lane after Spencers signal going towards Tarapore Towers).
The menu is vegetarian only and the prices are very high. BUT the "waiters" are volunteers and don't be surprised if you find a famous doctor bringing you your food. And yes, there's usually a dance / music performance going on.
All the money they earn is used to fund charity and art (dance / music forms).

Haven't been here in recent times. Lovely experience overall.

Last edited by hrag : 23rd January 2009 at 19:12.
Old 24th January 2009, 13:21   #155
Senior - BHPian

How did I miss this thread all this while, I thought this thread did not exist for Chennai. To be on the safer side I went through all the 11 pages and decided to post with some of the places which I have had very good experience not necessarily in the order of preference, have tried to include only those restaurants which have not been talked of in all these pages, my apologies if someone has already spoken about any. Since am a Veg, my listing is skewed towards the Veg places.

1. Rasam - Purasawalkam, though not classified in the inexpensive category, I think its a must visit for all vegetarians atleast once. Never knew so many different dishes can be made in the Vegetaraian mould. Is the Kongunadu theme which runs in the hotel, Nellikkai Soup, Vetrilai Poondu Sadham, Vengaya Payasam, Murungakkai Soup are some of the stuff which I have experimented and found to be very good.

2. Madurai Saradha - Walajah Road, even though am a vegetarian I have had some of my best "Elai Pottu Soru" here. All my colleagues have ooohed and aaahed about the Non Veg stuff, you get the likes of Netthili, Vanjiram etc in the fish varieties. The place may not look great in terms of ambience but its A1 in terms of taste. I think the likes of Ponnusamy are no match to these guys.

3. Bombay Bhojanalaya - Broadway. By far the most VFM Veg meal which you could get in the whole of Chennai. For 40 bucks you get unlimited Chappathi, Rice, 4 subjis. Super taste as well, no wonder the place is flocked by the North Indians who work nearby. You may not get place immediately, but the patience is worth it. Again a Veg only place.

4. Bombay Talkies - Cathedral Road. A Veg only place which serves some awesome Vada Pavs & Chole Bhatures this side of town, not very old, this is the place put up by Manickam Narayanan of Seventh Channel.

5. Karthick Tiffen Centre - Though already covered by Manu, but worth repeating the best VFM place to have in and around Anna Nagar, possibly better to take a parcel rather than stand and eat.

6. Hotel Amma - T. Nagar Again I have to take the words of my colleagues for the NV part but I have enjoyed the Veg meals everytime I have had here. You would not find the typical Chettinadu way of spicing up everything just because the hotel is Chettinadu here. Apparently a favourite with the late MGR.

7. National Hotel - GP Road One of the possibly few Veg only Andhra Mess you would find in the city. Again super place even though the ambience may not be pleasing. Extremely VFM.

8. Mylai Karpagambal Mess - Mylapore(V). Not one of your inexpensive ones again, but forget the attitude which the servers show at times, the taste is amazing. The best brinji I have had for some time now. You also get lovely Podi Oothappam etc. with the Badam Halwa and Kasi Halwa for desert what more do you want. Am told the Rayar mess is even better but have not had the opportunity to check out.

9. Gyan Vaishnav Devi Dhaba (Mount Road) - I fell for this guy's lassi when he used to have a small shop in front of CMC Vellore way back in 1995. My monthly official trips to Vellore was never complete without either the lunch or dinner at this place. The Mount Road tries to maintain similar standards. Sorry about another Veg only place.

10. Amala Mess - Anna Nagar An old time favourite among the local guys has some unique dishes for the evening dinner. They have started a new place at Ambattur. Am told Appuchee in Shanti Colony Anna Nagar is good as well, need to check out.

Uff this has become very long, hope you guys bear with me. Will try to add new ones as and when I feel good about them. Since I travel less often towards Adyar etc. have not been able to add places from that side, may be reason for me to explore that side.
Old 24th January 2009, 14:35   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
6. Hotel Amma - T. Nagar Again I have to take the words of my colleagues for the NV part but I have enjoyed the Veg meals everytime I have had here. You would not find the typical Chettinadu way of spicing up everything just because the hotel is Chettinadu here. Apparently a favourite with the late MGR.

This one is known as Amma Chettinad restaurant.

This place is very good for NV food and many may not know this as this is not in proper T.nagar. This is behind the Bharathiraja hospital on the G.N.Chetty road .
Old 24th January 2009, 18:41   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Second hand recommendation I was given a month ago: Cedars in Kotturpuram, for Lebanese food.

Any experience from BHPians?
Old 6th March 2009, 15:14   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
8. Mylai Karpagambal Mess - Mylapore(V). Not one of your inexpensive ones again, but forget the attitude which the servers show at times, the taste is amazing. The best brinji I have had for some time now. You also get lovely Podi Oothappam etc. with the Badam Halwa and Kasi Halwa for desert what more do you want.
Also try adai avial, a speciality of karpagambal mess.
Another place which serves adai avial, and kuzhi paniyaram, sambhar vada, etc is the GRAND SWEETS at adyar (gandhi ngr, 2nd main road), but only in the evenings.
Apart from evening items their main business is sweets and savouries.also they prepare and sell different types of veg. thokku/pastes and podi, which is famous with people going US/abroad.
Old 8th March 2009, 18:09   #159
BHPian

Veronas for burgers near besant nagar beach (College times)! dont know whether its still there or washed out by tsunami.
Old 8th March 2009, 21:43   #160
BHPian

In and around Nugambakkam

Some inexpensive joints I have been to in a year and a half in Chennai. I live in T nagar and work in Nungambakkam, my radar is quite limited ! Let me try though

1. Nair's mess near Chepauk Stadium : The best no-frills mallu lunch. Specialties : Fried Pomfret and Omlette.

2. Sea Shells a.k.a Savory opp. MRF on Greams Road: Superb Arabian food.
Specialities : Grilled Chicken / Fish; Shawarma sandwich.

3. Gallopin Gooseberry : Good American & Italian food on Greams Road. They also serve stuff from Fruit Shop on Greams road.

4. Wangs Kitchen / Cascade : Good Chinese food in huge portions. Both in Wallace Garden off MG Road.

5. Kumarakom / Cresent : Good Mallu food

6. Cake Zone in Haddows road : Great Sandwiches, Pizzas and Puffs

7. Mouthfull in Raghavaia Road Tnagar : Mallu, arabian and north Indian. Speciality : Whole grilled lamb @ Rs.4000. ( It would be wise to bring along atleast 20 hungry stomachs)

8. Cha-bar in Oxford book store; Haddows road : Great ambience and some nice sandwiches, rolls and some 100 odd varities of tea.

9. Appa Kadai in Velacherry near the Bus Depot : Superb appams

10. NewYorkers near Gemini Flyover : Opposite The PARK. Suprising Veg options in American and Mexican.

11. Ranjith opposite Ispahani. I Love their fried pomfret.

12. Murugan IDLY shop on Gn Chetty road : Lucky if you can get in!

I stay Away from : Deli express chain of "heated frozen food" ; Bombay Blues (College Road): Their biriyani most defenitely had stale chicken the only time we had lunch there.
Old 8th March 2009, 22:19   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, nice list.

I didn't know we had an Oxford Book Store. I've been to the one in Delhi, where their Trucker's Chai helped to clear my blocked sinuses; when we make it like that at home (extra, extra masala) we call it 'medicine tea'. I would not be so keen to pay their prices for tea when I can get chai on the street for Rs3, though. On my short visit to Delhi I could not find anywhere in my area that sold decent chai like Chennai chai! I'll still go to look at the books though
Old 23rd April 2009, 19:32   #162
BHPian

Sign :( Nothing really good for going to lunch around the gill nagar, choolaimedu area .... The apoorva's sangeetha on Nelson Manickam road sucks and there is one Hot chilly nearby where u find bones in the chicken noodles!
Old 23rd April 2009, 19:37   #163
Senior - BHPian

Loyola Fast Food on Nelson Manickam Road is quite popular.
Old 23rd April 2009, 19:52   #164
BHPian

Thanks for the info nitrous, will try that.
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:18   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
you guys should definitely try: the amethyst!

not cheap... but delicious food! pasta and lasagne is awesome + nice garden to eat out in.

worth a visit!

also... any good places for veg food on ECR?
Where's this ? Any good Italiano in south chennai ? Not Bella Ciao pls.

There's one called 'Thanjavur', nice place but crap food. There one called 'Madurai Appu' for Fiery Chettinad food .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks