Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2010, 14:09   #346
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
Rain Forest Restaurant, Adyar

Went there last night. It's a rain forest themed restaurant with lines of people outside waiting to get in. The theme, though novel, is quite tacky and could have been done much better. The restaurant itself is quite cramped.
Won't be going back to this place.

Items Ordered: Veg Fried Wontons, Chilli Pranws (finally after 2 changes), Paneer Chutneywala, Masala Kulcha, Rain Forest Steak - Chicken.

Total Bill: Rs. 715 + tips (2 pax)

Stay Away!
I tried couple of times in vain to get a dinner in this place, but found it to be way too crowded. They don't take reservations during the weekend, and even at 7pm it had a waiting period of 30min (though the crowd looked like it would take longer to get a table)

Heard from couple of friends that the food is ok but nothing exceptional so decided to give the place a miss.

Loved the food at Tuscana. Cedars at Wallace Garden Rd has some wonder Mediterranean cuisine. Crimson Chakara at Gandhi Nagar another one of my favorite.

Need to check out Little Italy one of these days.

Last edited by oss : 27th November 2010 at 14:29.
Old 27th November 2010, 16:35   #347
BHPian

1.Try Besant fast food-Near besant nagar bus terminus.Its cheap and Man!its delicious.
2.For vegetarian try maami's mess-Near mylapore Kabalishwar Temple.Dosas there cost only 20 rupees and the quality is very good.
3.For chat i'll usually go to Madhuri chat-Near thiruvanmiyur RTO office.
Old 28th November 2010, 12:22   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I tried couple of times in vain to get a dinner in this place, but found it to be way too crowded.

I've always found the food to be very good. Best time to eat there is around 12.30 in the afternoon. Its very easy to get a table and it always gets full in an hour. I ate there last week and the food quality(Vegetarian) is consistent.

But it is more on the greasy side. If you pile up on the food, you wont feel hungry for the rest of the day. Like topping your tank with diesel - would last and last and last.

And its expensive if you pick N.Veg items.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:10   #349
BHPian

Crimson Chakra / Cornucopia @ 13 First Crescent

Went there for dinner on Saturday. Actually wanted to go on Friday, but when I called to make reservations, was told that they were full for Friday! +1 million points to them for this, most places just ask you to walk in and try your luck! But these people value their patrons' time. Anyway, made reservations for Saturday.

The place is located on the 2nd main road Gandhi Nagar, in a quiet, deserted neighbourhood, down the road from Gandhi Nagar club. Car parking was not a pain, and the staff was very courteous.

Got a pool-side table (not the table inside the pool, but by the side, inside the glass enclosure) for 2. The server was a smiling, affable gentleman who was the perfect blend of giving his suggestions for ordering and letting you decide for yourself.

They actually have 2 distinct menus, one is called Crimson Chakra, and contains South Indian delicacies, most of them pretty spicy in nature by the looks of their descriptions on the menu. The other one is called Cornucopia @ 13 First Crescent, and is has continental fare. We decided to stick with the continental stuff.

They have an option of a set menu as well (this is only for the South Indian stuff) for about 475 + taxes for veg and 575 + taxes for non veg. The variety on the menu looked quite good, a bit overwhelming actually.

We had 2 starters, 1 veg and 1 non veg, and 2 main courses, again 1 veg and 1 non veg. The portions of the food were pretty good, not too much but just enough. I didn't feel too full after the meal, but I didn't feel unsatiated either. The taste was consistently good throughout. The chicken and the paneer were tender, spices according to our taste as we had asked, and most importantly, the food was not soaked in oil.

Items Ordered: Crab Meat Cakes, Vegetable Potato Skins, Baked Chicken Aragon (this is basically chicken stuffed with jalopenos and cheese) and Blackened Cottage Cheese Steaks.
Total Bill: Rs 1100 all inclusive (including about Rs 90 service charge and a 100 rupee bottle of "Qua" water!!) - This was for 2 people.

Verdict: Although a bit pricey, the food and service are very good, and you don't feel bad forking out the money. I would definitely go back there for special occassions. Would want to try out their Candle Room the next time.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:27   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crimson Chakra / Cornucopia @ 13 First Crescent
Name sounds little weird for an eatery. Anyway directions pls?

Quote:
They have an option of a set menu as well...taxes for non veg.
So it is buffet and/or Ala carte is it?

Quote:
The variety on the menu looked quite good, a bit overwhelming actually.
Err...on the buffet or on the ala carte menu?

Quote:
Would want to try out their Candle Room the next time.
Whoa!!! Sounds very romantic!!! Would like to try this one too.

THANKS @Vineet for your review
Old 29th November 2010, 14:55   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Name sounds little weird for an eatery. Anyway directions pls?
It's quite easy to find actually. I quote from their website www.crimsonchakra.in

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonchakra website
"Direction
1. Coming from madhya kailash... take a left after gandhi nagar bus terminus...come down 2nd cross street, past gandhi nagar club the seventh building on the left from the club.
2. From malar hospital... come down 4th main road, gandhinagar club comes on your right..take a right at the club and seventh building on the left."
Quote:
So it is buffet and/or Ala carte is it?
It's not a buffet, they have a set menu where they keep serving you with the dishes on the set menu on the table till you've had enough. Of course, they have a-la-carte as well, which is what we had.

Quote:
Err...on the buffet or on the ala carte menu?
I meant on the set menu. 3 kinds of soup, 5 main courses etc. I guess you could take only one of each, but still...

Quote:
Whoa!!! Sounds very romantic!!! Would like to try this one too.
Yeah, the ambience of the whole place is pretty romantic and quiet. In our case, a group of people came and sat at the table behind us, and one of the girls in the group was pretty loud, and she could not stop talking. So a polite gesture to her hushed her up for some time

Quote:
THANKS @Vineet for your review
You're most welcome
Old 29th November 2010, 17:26   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Crimson Chakra!

Old 29th November 2010, 17:44   #353
Senior - BHPian

Went to Crimson Chakra for my birthday and it was a nice place with the right ambiance and decor. It was raining that day and they had a water fall as well which looked cool.

The food was decent, though a little bit pricey, but again for the services rendered, I think it is par for the course.

Don't know why the name though
Old 29th November 2010, 19:35   #354
oss
BHPian

@aargee: If you don't mind spending a bit high for good food, then you should try out Kokum @ MRC Nagar. It's one of the best south indian non-veg food i've ever had. The prices are quite high, much higher than Crimson Chakra, which is the second best after Kokum.

Kokum gets way too crowded for dinner, so never go without booking a table.
Old 29th November 2010, 19:45   #355
Senior - BHPian

@oss:
I agree Kokum's food is pricey, but the service hasn't been so nice. Been there only once. The food was ok, I wouldn't say it's bad but I'd think twice before spending so much there. The one time I'd gone there, it was for a Goan food festival. The waiter was clueless as to what the dishes were like. Only thing he knew of was about idli-vada, dosa, etc. Perhaps a one-off case. Unless it's for a treat or something, I would not put my money on Kokum.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:18   #356
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

On Sat, I went to this place - MahaMudra near Rangachari on Luz Church Road, Chennai.

Very good ambience, full Veg menu, very good healthy food.

Its on the expensive side, but absolutely worth it. This place is maintained by the Isha Yoga foundation. Another hightlight are the juices. Mind blowing.

You get sandwiches, soups, rice items, juices, desserts and ice cream, dosas etc etc.... . If you're not adventurous go for the thali, though that is expensive too.

Good to take your folks to this place or if you really dig healthy food.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:34   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
@aargee: If you don't mind spending a bit high...without booking a table.
Ofcourse I don't mind spending high, these are once in a while or may be some of them once for a lifetime probably

But pls give me the location; Google said MRC Nagar is in Raja Annamalaipuram. But I'm already weak in those areas, so any help on direction is appreciated. Tks.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:53   #358
Senior - BHPian

Man i was waiting to see this thread, 1 Porota = 12 Bucks at a road side eatery, this place is expensive. its been ages i have had a good meal after i came to chennai, i have no enegry to go through the entire thread to find out where will i get the right food, so guys pls suggest something near OMR

Pramod
Old 8th December 2010, 20:04   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
so guys pls suggest something near OMR
Pramod, you may want to try Nalaas Aapakadai on Taramani-OMR road (Dr M.G.R Saalai) or I remember seeing one more of their branch near or after Shollinganallur.

Lots & lots of eatery options are available (actually in abundant) at Velachery. Just one straight road to Pallikaranai, take right underneath the bridge & keep heading straight. Max I guess is 7-8 Kms & then you're at food paradise. Even if you keep trying the best ones everyday, its more than sufficient for an entire week.

Here're few links from this thread...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1933500
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1971610
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2138993

Bit far from your place - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1661645

Last edited by aargee : 8th December 2010 at 20:06.
Old 9th December 2010, 02:23   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
On Sat, I went to this place - MahaMudra near Rangachari on Luz Church Road, Chennai.

Very good ambience, full Veg menu, very good healthy food.

Its on the expensive side, but absolutely worth it. This place is maintained by the Isha Yoga foundation. Another hightlight are the juices. Mind blowing.

You get sandwiches, soups, rice items, juices, desserts and ice cream, dosas etc etc.... . If you're not adventurous go for the thali, though that is expensive too.

Good to take your folks to this place or if you really dig healthy food.
I've arranged to discover this place with a visiting friend from the States in a couple of weeks time, but what I've heard so far does not encourage me. I hate paying high prices for stuff I can get for a few tens of rupees (and enjoy) elsewhere. There is a strict limit to how much I'm prepared to pay for "ambience" and I don't have that much tolerance before I start calling it "rip off".

I'm suspecting I'd be better off at Vasantha Bhavan

And there is a fantastic juice place on CP Ramaswamy Road, corner of Ranga Road, I think, where one still pays street prices. Of course, one drinks it on the street

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks