Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 12:10   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
You can try Coronet Restaurant in Adyar.
Thanks. I will certainly visit Coronet Restaurant and will come back to you with my feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Waseem - You might be better off with Besant Nagar Anjappar's Biryani. But there is one Buhari in the side streets next to Nalli silk house in Adyar. This buhari is tucked away in a nondescript lane, but the Biryani is better than any available nearby.
I have been to Buhari @ Chennai central and Anjappar @ Sholinganallur many times.Food at buhari have always been inconsistent at the particular outlet, any similar feedback on this joint or its just me.Anjappar also does not evoke fond memories though, always packed to the brim and the food quality was just average.

Waseem.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:52   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
... Buhari, only the Mount Road branch(Near LIC), is good enough. ...
IIRC the *original* one was in front of Central, back when one could cross the road in front on foot and walk. Not been in that area in a long time. I stopped eating at that joint after the day I was served Palak Paneer made with not spinach, but 'basal' - a thick round leaf with a slimy consistency when boiled! Gave me enough doubt about their substitutions not to risk it another time.
Old 16th August 2013, 16:43   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I have been to Buhari @ Chennai central and Anjappar @ Sholinganallur many times.Food at buhari have always been inconsistent at the particular outlet, any similar feedback on this joint or its just me.Anjappar also does not evoke fond memories though, always packed to the brim and the food quality was just average.

Waseem.
I agree about Anjappar - overcrowded and inconsistent. That is what I have been always cribbing about in Madras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
IIRC the *original* one was in front of Central, back when one could cross the road in front on foot and walk. Not been in that area in a long time. I stopped eating at that joint after the day I was served Palak Paneer made with not spinach, but 'basal' - a thick round leaf with a slimy consistency when boiled! Gave me enough doubt about their substitutions not to risk it another time.
Yes. I heard about the Buhari near Central. They used to make Cylone Parotta - some special kind of thin large parotta stuffed with ground meat and spices.

While on this topic - I can't understand one thing. They sell Chicken Biryani at Rs140 whilst a mutton Biryani costs Rs150/- But the base price of chicken is Rs 120 per kilo and that of Mutton is Rs460 per kilo. How can they sell mutton biryani at just Rs 10 more ? I think they mix beef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, it was just one dish, just one occasion, but it didn't encourage me to go back. I know that this is a famous name, and also I've had really excellent Buharis food at a family member's house near Anna Nagar, so I was disappointed.

Another Buharis on ECR... any reports?
Looks like the Buharis in Madras are not consistent in their quality. Other things being equal, I find that hotels in ECR tend to be expensive and though many claim to serve Continental, Chinese, American and Indian food - they don't do a good job in anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The mutton samosas are still very much available from the same branch. WRT Buhari, only the Mount Road branch(Near LIC), is good enough. Taste and price wise. It seems the best cooks are cooking from that branch.
I will try that branch. Thanks.

Sorry about the back-to-back posting.

Last edited by DerAlte : 16th August 2013 at 17:07.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:05   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I heard about the Buhari near Central. They used to make Cylone Parotta - some special kind of thin large parotta stuffed with ground meat and spices. ...
That was a form of Murtabak, which one gets plenty in Food Courts in Malaysia / Singapore. Yes, in Madras it was a stuffed Ceylon Porotta (Ceylon = Sri Lanka), a square paratha (as opposed to the spiral form Kerala Paratha). The "wo-ridgi-naal" CP is a layered square one without stuffing.

Back in 1979, when I had at first been exposed to CP (Ceylon) and KP (Kerala), I had mistaken the KP as "Cyclone" Porotta looking at the spiral form (there was a severe cyclone over TN in Nov 1977; that spelling was on a menu board in a restaurant in Madras). Later I had got used to ordering "Oru CP, half-e Kabab-e". Cherwa free!

Quote:
... Chicken Biryani at Rs140 whilst a mutton Biryani costs Rs150/- But the base price of chicken is Rs 120 per kilo and that of Mutton is Rs460 per kilo. How can they sell mutton biryani at just Rs 10 more ? I think they mix beef. ...
I doubt it, since the flavor and fibre profile would be completely different.

Actually, they serve around 150g of chicken in a plate of CB, whereas the MB contains only 50g of mutton - and gradually the bones and gristle seem to be increasing day-by-day.

Quote:
... I find that hotels in ECR tend to be expensive and though many claim to serve Continental, Chinese, American and Indian food - they don't do a good job in anything. ...
Complete focus on tourist traffic on ECR. And, what you say saar, what do tourist know about Continental-e, Chinese-e, American-e food eh???

Last edited by DerAlte : 16th August 2013 at 17:12.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:58   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I find that hotels in ECR tend to be expensive and though many claim to serve Continental, Chinese, American and Indian food - they don't do a good job in anything. .
Why do we forget that ECR has IT corridor and the major chunk of customers are IT guys.I guess that should be self explanatory.

Quote:
Actually, they serve around 150g of chicken in a plate of CB, whereas the MB contains only 50g of mutton - and gradually the bones and gristle seem to be increasing day-by-day.
+1 DerAlte Sir on the quantity served/plate.

One needs to be a master chef to do that since the fiber content is different in Mutton and Beef.May be possible with Kheema dishes, not with biryani and Gravy dishes.

Waseem.
Old 16th August 2013, 19:58   #561
BHPian

Quote:
That was a form of Murtabak, which one gets plenty in Food Courts in Malaysia / Singapore. Yes, in Madras it was a stuffed Ceylon Porotta (Ceylon = Sri Lanka), a square paratha (as opposed to the spiral form Kerala Paratha). The "wo-ridgi-naal" CP is a layered square one without stuffing.
DerAlte Sir - Truly impressive.

A few years ago before they converted the Eros theater in Adyar to a Car showroom, there was a 'military' hotel next to it. It used to serve decent varieties of food. One item was "kothu Parotta" - in which depending upon your choice, egg or minced meat would be added along with finely chopped onions, tomatoes to a 'chopped up' parotta. They do that before you if you care to watch their kitchen - using 2 straight lipped broad spoons, hence the name 'kothu' (meaning minced).

They also made in the evening - 'Keerai Vadai' a type famous in Karikal/Nagore where they grind drumstick leaves with small prawns with rice batter and make a flat vada. It was something to die for.
Old 16th August 2013, 20:15   #562
RGP
BHPian

I am stuck in office guest house at Sholinganallur for the weekend. Any recommendations for food options nearby are welcome. I would like to try local cuisine and particularly seafood.
TIA.
Old 17th August 2013, 12:35   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
I am stuck in office guest house at Sholinganallur for the weekend. Any recommendations for food options nearby are welcome. I would like to try local cuisine and particularly seafood.
TIA.
Anjappar and Hotel centerpoint comes are located at Sholinganallur junction.

Waseem.
Old 18th August 2013, 21:24   #564
RGP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Anjappar and Hotel centerpoint comes are located at Sholinganallur junction.

Waseem.
Thanks. Tried and liked Anjappar. Also tried Chemeen in Palavakkam. Likef the Kerala food there...
Old 19th August 2013, 12:01   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... "kothu Parotta" - in which depending upon your choice, egg or minced meat would be added along with finely chopped onions, tomatoes to a 'chopped up' parotta. ...
My introduction to Kotthu Parotta was surprisingly not in India. It was at a Sri Lankan run restaurant indien (Indian restaurant) near the Gare du Nord station in Paris. That area has a couple of streets full of Indian shops and restaurants - run by Sri Lankans. Cheap filling stuff in an almost-clean environment.

The first time I saw Kotthu Parotta I had wondered why would people be so lazy as to get a decent Parotta chopped up and mixed with the mince and/or eggs. That would be like taking Sambhar and Rice premixed in a box for lunch - somehow doesn't taste like if you mix it yourself at the last moment. Like anyone brought up in north India, I prefer to eat any Parontha / Paratha / Parotta / Porotta by breaking pieces myself, and dipping / picking up anything else with it. In some cases. e.g. with seekh kabab, I like to roll stuff into it.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:05   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
Thanks. Tried and liked Anjappar. Also tried Chemeen in Palavakkam. Likef the Kerala food there...
Did you mean Ponnusamy? I like the Biryani in Rawther Thalappakattu. Also, try the Dindigul Thlapakkatti near Thorapakkam for chettinadu dishes although their Biryani is just glorified Ghee rice.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:13   #567
BHPian

Quote:
My introduction to Kotthu Parotta was surprisingly not in India. It was at a Sri Lankan run restaurant indien (Indian restaurant) near the Gare du Nord station in Paris. That area has a couple of streets full of Indian shops and restaurants - run by Sri Lankans. Cheap filling stuff in an almost-clean environment.

The first time I saw Kotthu Parotta I had wondered why would people be so lazy as to get a decent Parotta chopped up and mixed with the mince and/or eggs. That would be like taking Sambhar and Rice premixed in a box for lunch - somehow doesn't taste like if you mix it yourself at the last moment.
It is so nice to see your messages - be it on technology or Cuisine - full of details.

Kothu parotta is not just mincing. The Nagore/Karikal restaurants or road side joints actually do it in such a way that the minced Parottas are browned on all sides. It adds to the taste. And the mutton mince is precooked with spices. The combination is more than the sum of the plain parothas and the meat/eggs. And the way they make the parothas is different too. Like they make noodles with dough they make it with a flourish and they spread on a wide surface. And gather again and toss it again. The result is wafer thin dough gathered together as thin strips of dough.

I am sorry as I can't explain the process as good as you do. But I have seen them do this. This is not the usual style hotels do anywhere else.
Old 19th August 2013, 19:58   #568
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

It is so nice to see your messages - be it on technology or Cuisine - full of details.

Kothu parotta is not just mincing. The Nagore/Karikal restaurants or road side joints actually do it in such a way that the minced Parottas are browned on all sides. It adds to the taste. And the mutton mince is precooked with spices. The combination is more than the sum of the plain parothas and the meat/eggs. And the way they make the parothas is different too. Like they make noodles with dough they make it with a flourish and they spread on a wide surface. And gather again and toss it again. The result is wafer thin dough gathered together as thin strips of dough.

I am sorry as I can't explain the process as good as you do. But I have seen them do this. This is not the usual style hotels do anywhere else.
Ooh! I love those Kotthu Parottas. Delicious. There used to be a chap outside my college who had a little push cart and sold Kotthu Parottas for Rs 5 each. He had a queue outside his establishment every evening. Amazing!

Deralte.
Near Place Pigalle, behind Sacre Coeur and in Montmartre there are large numbers of Sri Lankans. My pal and I were in local train some ten years ago and were generally shooting the breeze when we were pleasantly surprised to hear some blokes at the other end of the compartment conversing merrily in Tamil. So we went and joined them and both of us having been to Sri Lanka, got along brilliantly with them.

Similar thing happened outside St Peter's square in the Vatican where I met a Bangladeshi bloke with a motor cart selling Panini and Gelato. What fun. I sat and chatted with him in Hindi and shared a few Indian cigarettes with him!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th August 2013 at 20:02.
Old 25th August 2013, 13:52   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ooh! I love those Kotthu Parottas. Delicious. There used to be a chap outside my college who had a little push cart and sold Kotthu Parottas for Rs 5 each. He had a queue outside his establishment every evening. Amazing!
Sorry Shankar for a late reply. Amazing to get a Kothuparota for just Rs.5/-

Right now it sells for Rs.75/- And like everything else, the taste varies from one place to another. Just saw in Adyar times ( a local newspaper) that 2 more joints have come up in Thrivanmiyur serving Biryani and sea food.
Old 25th August 2013, 18:16   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
... Near Place Pigalle, ... Montmartre ...
Both are places one would avoid if traveling with family (who might raise some difficult to answer questions), but yes I know what you are talking about.

A long time back, I was stumped when I couldn't find rice or chappaties being served in the evening in Coimbatore (I don't think Madras ever had that). Eating Malligai Idlies for dinner doesn't satisfy the soul (I would wake up hungry at midnight once again), so had to drive out 15Km on the highway to get conventional stuff at a dhaba. Is it still the same in those parts? Didn't have that problem in Trichy, Tuticorin and other places either - wonly Coimbatore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks