Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 21:00   #571
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Both are places one would avoid if traveling with family (who might raise some difficult to answer questions), but yes I know what you are talking about.

A long time back, I was stumped when I couldn't find rice or chappaties being served in the evening in Coimbatore (I don't think Madras ever had that). Eating Malligai Idlies for dinner doesn't satisfy the soul (I would wake up hungry at midnight once again), so had to drive out 15Km on the highway to get conventional stuff at a dhaba. Is it still the same in those parts? Didn't have that problem in Trichy, Tuticorin and other places either - wonly Coimbatore.
Moulin Rouge old chap...wonderful stuff!
Old 4th September 2013, 13:54   #572

Any good eatouts in and around ECR? I have recently moved to Palavakkam from
besant nagar and so far have tried the following:

1. Grillz, Injambakkam: young owners with wide variety and decent food.

2. Papa Johns, is also great for dine in. It's a break from Dominoes and taste is good.

3. Wants Kitchen: same location as Papa Johns. Decent taste and price.

4. Mainland China, OMR: Quite average in terms of service and food. Was a let down compared to one in Alwarpet.

Looking for more suggestions for vegetarians in and around.

Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:12   #573
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

Any suggestions for party to my IT office collegues (20nos)? Budget max 1000 per person. Looking for a good place around Sholinganallur having lunch buffet (Veg+NV).
TIA.
Old 21st October 2013, 12:40   #574

Recently tried the new (5 months old) "Little Italy" in Besant Nagar. Really nice experience overall.

Ambience: 4/5
Food: 4/5
Service: 3.5/5 (food was quick but mocktails took forever)
VFM: 4/5 (keeping in mind it's a fine dining restaurant)
Old 7th November 2013, 12:33   #575
BHPian

Hey guys

The past three days with wife gone out of station for a week, I have been having dinner ordered from from a website which my office colleagues use to order lunch / dinner a couple of times.

Was a bit reluctant to place an order for dinner for a week but decided to go ahead and do it as they agreed to deliver the food to my house every night for a week.

I had roti's with Chana Dhall Kurma,Bhendi Masala,Rajma Masala. Also , I chose rice with sambar and one day with morekhozambu along with vegetables and some vadam.

What impressed me was the taste was really good.I can't compare it with hotel's as it was home cooked and tasted better than what I was expecting. While ordering I could customise it the way I wanted to spicy etc and yea it really tasted like home food! The prices were pretty nominal compared to if I order food from Sangeethas.

My wife after coming back from work would often say wish we had someone to cook for us and we need not eat at hotels when she did not feel like cooking! Waiting for her to come back so can make her eat this food and see if she likes it.

Recommended! The website is http://www.homefoodnow.com
Old 7th November 2013, 14:06   #576
BHPian

Recently had my friend's B'day treat at Tandoori Tadakka , Cathedral road. Food was authentic north indian Vegetarian food. Very good food at a reasonable price. The place is next to AVM marriage hall. Must try.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:55   #577
BHPian

For all those KFC fans, there is a new KFC outlet in Corromandel Plaza (that houses the AGS Cinema) in Navalur. Now, this completes the major "junk" food vendors on this part of OMR. We have McDonalds, Dominos and now KFC all within 2-3 kms range from Navalur.
Old 19th November 2013, 10:31   #578
Senior - BHPian

Had dinner at Citrus Cafe in Lemon tree and Burgundy's on consecutive nights! Both were a let down sadly! Lemon tree's spread was very limited, and the chicken started was almost stale! and that's after paying 977 per head for the buffet! But the Fish gravy was really lip smacking and well made, was the favourite for all the guests there. The mocktails are just a waste of money, will not recommend it.

I had visited Burgundy's already and remember having a pleasant experience, but this time the only non-veg starter was a chicken pakoda, which had too much salt ( increasing each time we asked for it! ) Maybe they wanted us to have fewer plates of them?! But overall, the food was stictly average! The vegetarian menu had silly items from south indian cusine and none of them even looked apetizing. The desserts were the only saving grace! and for 1028 per head, this place is simply looting by using its location and ambience! Will never go back there
Old 19th November 2013, 10:36   #579
BHPian

Had lunch last week at Krishnavilasam, Haddows road last weekend. Although the price was a little bit on the higher side, food was very good.
Old 19th November 2013, 21:32   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Is any non-veg lunch buffet available anywhere in Chennai (around 5 km radius from Spencer Plaza) for around Rs. 350/- ? Or what are the next possible options around the place in a slightly higher budget ? Planning for an outing of 20 guys - so hope to manage some discounts may be.
Old 20th November 2013, 13:54   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is any non-veg lunch buffet available anywhere in Chennai (around 5 km radius from Spencer Plaza) for around Rs. 350/- ? Or what are the next possible options around the place in a slightly higher budget ? Planning for an outing of 20 guys - so hope to manage some discounts may be.
Try Buhari on Mount road if you want the south indian stuff. Or, you can try the Entree hotel in EA. 500 bucks per head. Pretty much worth the money.
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:28   #582
BHPian

Guys I am looking for a place that serves good salads. Any recommendations?
I badly want to eat a good salad, with lettuce (not the iceberg kind), spinach (greens generally) and with proper toppings.
Old 9th January 2014, 08:05   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Sigree Aday: Overcharge Alert

Been to Sigree-Adyar for dinner (ale-carte) on 8th Jan.

After the dinner the bill comes and we find that we've billed Non-Veg Platter twice when actually we have ordered one veg and one non-veg each. On questioning the waiter, he replied that both are priced same.

Warning alert:On which planet does meat and veggies cost the same? So we did a quick check on one more item. Roti platter was charged at Rs.310 whereas in the Menu Card it was Rs.250. So we asked for the Menu card and cross checked every item and it's price. To our shock, every item on the bill was overcharged between Rs.20 to Rs.70 than the bill. Please note that VAT, Service TAX and Service Charge were added over and above this.

On questioning the Waiter says it's a computer mistake (how simple right?). Apparently we had been billed the New Year Eve (25th Dec to 5th Jan) prices by mistake it seems. The bill was changed and we paid the revised amount. What about other cheated customers between 6th and 8th Jan? Sigree claimed it will refund the amount. I wonder how That's some serious overcharging for 3 days.

As with many Indian establishments even after calling their bluff, these folks aren't apologetic. They just blame the system or something else.

So folks, be careful while paying your bills at Sigree or any restaurant for that matter.

P.S: The guys sweated when we asked for the old bill. Afraid of being sued? Anyways we got it.

Last edited by kiku007 : 9th January 2014 at 08:07.
Old 9th January 2014, 11:16   #584
BHPian

Re: Sigree Aday: Overcharge Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Been to Sigree-Adyar for dinner (ale-carte) on 8th Jan.

After the dinner the bill comes and we find that we've billed Non-Veg Platter twice when actually we have ordered one veg and one non-veg each. On questioning the waiter, he replied that both are priced same.

Warning alert:On which planet does meat and veggies cost the same? So we did a quick check on one more item. Roti platter was charged at Rs.310 whereas in the Menu Card it was Rs.250. So we asked for the Menu card and cross checked every item and it's price. To our shock, every item on the bill was overcharged between Rs.20 to Rs.70 than the bill. Please note that VAT, Service TAX and Service Charge were added over and above this.

On questioning the Waiter says it's a computer mistake (how simple right?). Apparently we had been billed the New Year Eve (25th Dec to 5th Jan) prices by mistake it seems. The bill was changed and we paid the revised amount. What about other cheated customers between 6th and 8th Jan? Sigree claimed it will refund the amount. I wonder how That's some serious overcharging for 3 days.

As with many Indian establishments even after calling their bluff, these folks aren't apologetic. They just blame the system or something else.

So folks, be careful while paying your bills at Sigree or any restaurant for that matter.

P.S: The guys sweated when we asked for the old bill. Afraid of being sued? Anyways we got it.
Interesting to note this experience. I ate the non veg platter at Sigree on OMR Thoraipakkam on Nov 19th 2013 and was very seriously sick with diarhoea and vomiting all through the night after that. Strangely another person who ate non veg with me was okay. Not been wanting to eat chicken/prawn ever after that !
Old 10th January 2014, 00:35   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh my god, that's bad. OMR is a show piece of the worst restaurants in Chennai. The IT crowd just keeps these average places get going.

The other day at this place called, "Holy Smoke" there was literally smoke all over. Not the holy kind though. Idiots had to keep the doors open to let the smoke out and thankfully for me to run outside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks