Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 15:19   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Guys, I don't know if this eat-out has been posted in the previous pages, but have you experienced Barbecue Nation in T.Nagar, the Left next to Joy Alukkas.

Great place for barbecues. It cost around 450/- per head (I think, been there a few months ago) but the barbecues are unlimited. They keep serving you till you say "Stop".

Worth the money.
No, they keep serving barbeques until you lower the flag on your table. I love their Cajun Spiced Potatoes! Yumm.

Barbeque Nation has presence in many other cities as well.

Last edited by bblost : 12th June 2010 at 21:16. Reason: Ref to Beer removed, quoted post edited.
Old 12th June 2010, 15:23   #257
BHPian

And there is this another place called Barbeque Biryani on OMR near Thoraipakkam, Awesome Authentic Hyderabadi Biryani...

Do check it out.

Last edited by bblost : 12th June 2010 at 21:13. Reason: Ref to Beer removed
Old 12th June 2010, 15:35   #258
Senior - BHPian

Yep. In Chennai, they have different prices for a Veg buffet and a Non-veg buffet. 450 and 500 i guess. But in Bangalore, prices are the same for both. 500 INR.
Old 13th June 2010, 00:30   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomsun View Post
And there is this another place called Barbeque Biryani
we go there at times, nice briyani but very expensive and much too quantity at 120 bucks. they bring it from some other place i think
Old 26th June 2010, 20:18   #260
Team-BHP Support

Hotel Savera, The Piano, a buffet at Rs 625 net.

I have no idea how the rotis or rice tasted.
I have no idea how the sambar sadam and thair sadam tasted.
I have no clue how the assorted veg gravies tasted.
I did not even bother with the mutton gravy and biryani on offer.

Instead I had two really small buns. And they were accompanied with Grilled Fish, Singapore chilly fish, some beef kheema dish with cheese on it, Chicken salad, Fish salad, some palak salad.
Yummy. Loved the food.

The desert was small nibble sized pieces of tasty stuff.
Old 29th June 2010, 16:51   #261
Senior - BHPian

Ha my Chennai days fav were the Kothu Parotta at Anna Univ canteen and Bread Omlette near IIT

On a more seriuos eating note ...Barbeque nation was very good. My fav was the prawns. Thank good my stomach did not complain that day

The Nala's appakkadai at velachery was one place I loved, provided I get a place to sit. The egg appams were good

Anyone remember the only speciality sea food restaurant 'Something Fishy' that came up near Gemini Fly over? (This must be around 3 years back) Well, there was something really fishy with the whole thing - very expensive...but awful service, totally downmarket and cheap ambience. Why i mention this is cos this was the only speciality sea food restaurant in Chennai. Food was in fact good - lots of good dishes. But had to close down. I think the price did not match the overall experience

In fact Iam yet to come across a good speciality sea food restaurant in any of the great South Indian coastal cities - Chennai, Kochi, Vizag or Mangalore or any of the smaller ones also
Old 29th June 2010, 18:56   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Hotel Savera, The Piano, a buffet at Rs 625 net.

I have no idea how the rotis or rice tasted.
I have no idea how the sambar sadam and thair sadam tasted.
I have no clue how the assorted veg gravies tasted.
I did not even bother with the mutton gravy and biryani on offer.

Instead I had two really small buns. And they were accompanied with Grilled Fish, Singapore chilly fish, some beef kheema dish with cheese on it, Chicken salad, Fish salad, some palak salad.
Yummy. Loved the food.

The desert was small nibble sized pieces of tasty stuff.
Yup their Sunday buffet is usually very good.. It used to taste better when it costed only Rs.325 last time plus I even remember a promotion where they had a free buffet for 1 for every 2 persons order.. good old days
Old 29th June 2010, 20:36   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The Nala's appakkadai at velachery was one place I loved, provided I get a place to sit. The egg appams were good
+1 to Nalas Aapakadai; They've opened quite a few outlets in the city & mostly in & around OMR/ECR region & they should be soon opening an outlet at Anna Nagar.

Two weeks back we were there at MGR Salai branch & the food wasn't exceptional as before. Not sure if their quality is coming down, as its too early to comment. May be someone else can provide an opinion.
Old 29th June 2010, 23:49   #264
BHPian

Our usual places:

Hotel Coronet at Adyar (good Chicken-65),

Hotel Milan - Vijaynagar (Brain-fry, mutton-pepper-fry, paya - these are food from the old-world charm - none of the new ones - post 2000 hotels have these - just am scared that The TopSees, City Gates, Traffic Jams, Runs, Coronets (some might have already gone) dont vanish - due to monopolies of the A2B, SB, MIS, Sangeethas. Milan - no frills hotel. Total VFM.

Thamburan - just before Sholinganallur signal on the left. Good mallu lunch - mathi-curry/aila-fry/para-fry/biriyani - nominal cost.

Good old Buhari - close to Shanthi theater.

Talappakattu - On the way to Marina - yellow board - lane close to Omandarur estate. Fantastic Murthapa. Just amazing.

Ponnusamy - Best Tamil-style non-veg food. Hats off to them.

Bachelor day hotel - Hotel Aroma International on Arcot road - near Liberty.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:27   #265
BHPian

Guys, i had enquired this in bangalore eating out thread. Repeating it here too since not much info was available there.

Anyone has experience with catfish (i believe this is called kannan meen in tamil?)? its basically a slimy snake like fish you will find at fish shops in a tub of water and very much alive. The fish monger usually hits it on its head to kill it.

I would like to try it out. Does it taste good? Is this fish good for curry or fry?
Old 30th June 2010, 15:14   #266
BHPian

Have not eaten catfish here but have had it US. The ones there were farm raised and so would be less salty. And due to this they are better of being fried / Grilled. Not sure where the fish you saw was raised in the ones.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:47   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
...Anyone has experience with catfish (i believe this is called kannan meen in tamil?)? its basically a slimy snake like fish you will find at fish shops in a tub of water and very much alive. The fish monger usually hits it on its head to kill it....
Viraal meenu (in Tamil)

It is actually the 'snake-head fish', the cat-fish is different. It is mostly the freshwater variant that is available live in local markets in Chennai.

Channa striata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Snakeheads (Channidae) are a family of freshwater fish native to Africa and Asia. These predatory fish are distinguished by a long dorsal fin, large mouth and shiny teeth. They have a physiological need to breathe atmospheric air, which they do with a suprabranchial organ: a primitive form of a labyrinth organ. There are two extant genera, Channa in Asia, and Parachanna in Africa, consisting of 30-35 species.
Some recipes :
Solai's True Chettinad kitchen: Chettinad Viral Meen mangai Kuzhambu (Chettinad Butterfish (murrel) Mango gravy)

The smaller ones are also used for medicinal curing :
http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008/06...-fish-for.html
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f98opUNuVX...urrel+fish.jpg

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 30th June 2010 at 16:50.
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:25   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
There is one joint near Satyam Theater that sells good Parathas and authentic N.Indian stuff.. very small place. But the food there is very good. I think its called some Krishna ..something.

Its the last building on your left whn you come from Mount Road / Peters Road and take the left to Satyam.
Sorry i am replying to this post after 3 years !! its Krishna Bhavan

Its one of my favorite places. you get good aloo parathas here
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:31   #269
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
+1 to Nalas Aapakadai; They've opened quite a few outlets in the city & mostly in & around OMR/ECR region & they should be soon opening an outlet at Anna Nagar.

Two weeks back we were there at MGR Salai branch & the food wasn't exceptional as before. Not sure if their quality is coming down, as its too early to comment. May be someone else can provide an opinion.
Nalas have started another outlet in New Express Mall in royapettah,i want to try it this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Guys, i had enquired this in bangalore eating out thread. Repeating it here too since not much info was available there.

Anyone has experience with catfish (i believe this is called kannan meen in tamil?)? its basically a slimy snake like fish you will find at fish shops in a tub of water and very much alive. The fish monger usually hits it on its head to kill it.

I would like to try it out. Does it taste good? Is this fish good for curry or fry?
You should probably try Fishermans Fare opp to Don Bosco Egmore .They have lots of combos in sea foods
Old 6th July 2010, 18:36   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
..Hotel Milan - Vijaynagar ...
Have you tried this place recently? I am thinking of visiting this place, hence this question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
..Thamburan - just before Sholinganallur signal on the left.
I was trying to locate this today, but couldn't. How much ahead of the Sholinganallur signal is this located ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks