Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 14:23   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Decan Plaza was only built about five or six years ago. They hold regular food festivals, highlighting different parts of India.

Another landmark for it is that it is just south of the wonderful 5-way Royapettah High Road/Lloyds Road junction. I see they have installed signals there: spoilsports!
Old 10th November 2010, 11:18   #317
BHPian

Nalas Aapakadai Annanagar

Visited Nalas Aapakadai,Annanagar (3rd Avenue ) last weekend

Ambience - 4/5
Food Quality - 5/5
Service - 5/5
Price Factor - 4/5 ( Dessert prices are bit high )
Old 12th November 2010, 20:10   #318
Senior - BHPian

Guys, seeking your suggestion - we're looking out a good restaurant in & around Chennai for a good & memorable dinner.
Cost - no bar
Location - Chennai city upto Mahabalipuram
Objective - To have a finest buffet dinner, spend lot of time (say upto 2-3 hours, no nagging asking to get out after having food, not even through looks). The buffet should contain good amount of veg food too.
Participants - Myself, Wifey, 2 kids

We don't prefer Asiana or Meridien this time.

Pls guide us to have a memorable time for a special occassion. Tks.
Old 12th November 2010, 20:48   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Guys, I don't know if this eat-out has been posted in the previous pages, but have you experienced Barbecue Nation in T.Nagar, the Left next to Joy Alukkas.

Great place for barbecues. It cost around 450/- per head (I think, been there a few months ago) but the barbecues are unlimited. They keep serving you till you say "Stop".

Worth the money.
+1
This is one of the my favorite restaurant in chennai.
if you pay 150-200rs more, you can get sea food also.
Barbeque prawn was yummy.

There is a place called "Hyderabad food court" opp to vadapalani Big bazaar. They serve authentic hyderabad dum biryani.
Prices are very nominal. If you are a fan of Hyderabadi biryani,please do give it a try.

Only other place which serves authentic hyderabadi biryani(the one which tastes good not just the namesake served in other restaurants around chennai) is barbeque biryani,OMR,thoraipakkam.
Offlate their service is not that good.

Any other place to try tasty hyderabadi biryani?
Old 13th November 2010, 07:17   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Decan Plaza was only built about five or six years ago. They hold regular food festivals, highlighting different parts of India.

Another landmark for it is that it is just south of the wonderful 5-way Royapettah High Road/Lloyds Road junction. I see they have installed signals there: spoilsports!
Deccan has a full course buffet every Saturday for lunch priced at Rs.400.
Incidentally the signal lights do not work at the Jn. you mentioned.
Old 13th November 2010, 11:22   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed, those lights are yet to be turned on.

Rs.400 seems to me to be rather a lot to pay for a veggie meal.
Old 13th November 2010, 13:51   #322
Senior - BHPian

Went to Clay Oven on the OMR (It's next to the Cafe Coffee Day, and before the Waves cloth shop, on the left side while going towards SRP from Lifeline Hospital). Dishes were OK. We went for the buffet lunch. Two non-veg dishes and 3 veg dishes, rice, noodles, "curd"-rice (should've been yogurt rice, in correct English), soup and a Gulab Jamun. INR200. Worth the price if you're a foodie like me.

For dinner, I was at the Pizza Hut restaurant inside Ampa Skywalk. We ordered a combo (Soup/cold-drink/tea + Garlic Bread + Medium pizza - INR530). The Cream of Chicken soup was amazing. One of the best soups I've ever had.
Old 14th November 2010, 21:52   #323
Senior - BHPian

Just back from Italy...err...little Italy. It was really "A" class restaurant & the Italian food was awesome. Ambience is ok, but the service was excellent. Ppl who prefer non-veg food, pls stay away as they serve only vegetarian Italian & a little Mexican food. Though the A/C was turned ON, it wasn't adequate; they should easily have a seating capacity for 75+

We had...
Tortilla Chips with Salsa
Onion Rings
Pizza Mellino
Veg. Quesadillas Mashed Hot Potatoes
Lasagne

The bill was a bomb, but still, we enjoyed
Old 14th November 2010, 22:13   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just back from Italy...err...little Italy. It was really "A" class restaurant & the Italian food was awesome. Ambience is ok, but the service was excellent. Ppl who prefer non-veg food, pls stay away as they serve only vegetarian Italian & a little Mexican food. Though the A/C was turned ON, it wasn't adequate; they should easily have a seating capacity for 75+

We had...
Tortilla Chips with Salsa
Onion Rings
Pizza Mellino
Veg. Quesadillas Mashed Hot Potatoes
Lasagne

The bill was a bomb, but still, we enjoyed
What were their Pizzas priced like? And were they any better than what we usually get from PH and the like?
Old 14th November 2010, 22:51   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
What were their Pizzas priced like? And were they any better than what we usually get from PH and the like?
Bomb is the only word; for the price of one 11" pizza, you could get a good meal for 2 from PH. But for the taste, quality & authentic, PH is way too bad (not even far). You cannot find these pizza's fluffy like the one's in PH & places, but they're crisp at bottom & soft on top. One word of difference between PH & like places versus this one is that, the 8", 4 slice pizzas at PH is sufficient for one person, while this 11", 8 slice pizza is just sufficient. Lately I've been feeling that places like PH use some kind of ingredients to fill up one's stomach hard so that they don't feel hungrey for next 2 days.

Once we went to an authentic Italian restaurant in MI & today's pizza reminded me of the pizza that we'd at MI. Little Italy also has a good & variety of pasta, desert & beverages served.

One word, its a pure upscale market restaurant.

PS - When we came out, ours was the smallest car in the entire parking lot; the cheapest Sedan in the parking lot was Fiat Linea

Last edited by aargee : 14th November 2010 at 22:54.
Old 14th November 2010, 23:10   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Tuscana has left me looking forward to another visit. It is upmarket, but I didn't think it was outrageously expensive, and the food was just --- yum yum yum
Old 15th November 2010, 09:48   #327
BHPian

Sunday lunch at Flamingo - 100 ft Rd bypass Velachery. We were hungry and did not find a good place to park and dig. Looked at the menu, it was all 150 or so for dishes. Finally chucked it and went for the buffet. Rs 225 + tax for adults, Rs 125 + tax for kids. Salads/kebab/baked-potato-starter/Roti/curry/rice-variety/jelly/ice-cream/wheat-halwa/dal-payasam. Overall ok, if you want good seating, a/c and are hungry and want a decent parking and not too crowded. So the question: do we have an alternative in this area with the above stuff on a hot Sunday afternoon?
Old 15th November 2010, 10:04   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
So the question: do we have an alternative in this area with the above stuff on a hot Sunday afternoon?
Are you serious about this question ?

There're more than plenty of food outlets on 100 feet road & roads adjacent to it (starting from Vijayanagar towards Taramani as well as Pallikaranai) as Velachery has itself become a miniature model of entire Chennai.
Old 15th November 2010, 10:48   #329
BHPian

Where's the parking, boss? Except for the A2B maybe. Anywhere else, its all illegal, occupying valuable driving lane, infact you can get booked - I got booked once near Connexions and if you get into the service lanes you cannot get out. I was lucky because it was a Sunday. The state of the Taramani road is pathetic. Pallikarnai side? Would love to know the hotels. If its McD, KFC, Rock? I am at the receiving end of having to reach home through this melee, everyday. Better not to eat than inconveniencing people with parking on the drive-way.

OK. Lets try this: Where would you go for lunch in this area and where do you park? I would not mind going to Milan but where do you park? Wifey was suggesting to leave the car at home and take the bike. But in this hot sun and when you are hungry! The next best spacious place is Ascendas, I feel. Parking facility just sucks! I have my rant on an other topic which I will post on the traffic-n-life thread.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 15th November 2010 at 10:52.
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:17   #330
BHPian

Rain Forest Restaurant, Adyar

Went there last night. It's a rain forest themed restaurant with lines of people outside waiting to get in. The theme, though novel, is quite tacky and could have been done much better. The restaurant itself is quite cramped.

Went there at 8 PM on a Sunday night and was told would get a table within 40 minutes. So we decided to wait outside, place our orders and give company to the mosquitoes (BIG Mistake). At 8:40 got a call saying "Sir would you be OK sharing a table?" - *** is this? Murugan's Idli Shop? After saying NO, finally got a table at 9:10 PM.

The waiter then comes up, and with all his attitude says "Sir sesame fried prawns are not available". So I ask him why he didn't tell me an hour ago when I had placed my order. Anyway he says he can get me grilled prawns so I say OK. 10 minutes later he's back saying grilled prawns are also not available, please have prawns 65. Idiot is deciding what I should be eating. Anyway, I order some chilli prawns, and till now the veg wontons have not come (now it's been 90 minutes since we ordered them). When they finally come, it's obvious they've been fried multiple times. The chilli prawns are nothing but prawns dipped in batter and deep fried. The Indian food was OK, but my "Rain Forest Chicken Steak" had about twice the amount of salt than needed.

And then the staff was in a hurry to clear the plates, since they had more suckers waiting outside to get in.

Won't be going back to this place.

Items Ordered: Veg Fried Wontons, Chilli Pranws (finally after 2 changes), Paneer Chutneywala, Masala Kulcha, Rain Forest Steak - Chicken.

Total Bill: Rs. 715 + tips (2 pax)

Stay Away!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks