Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 22:52   #436
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Chennai

My Friend is from chennai. The fisherman's fare employee is his neighbor and friend so your guess is as good as mine :-)

I am planning to try out some time , If i do i will definitely post my thoughts

I don't think the road is Greams road, I think it is Casa Major road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fisher...6&z=17&iwloc=A

The above link would give you a good indication of the location

Last edited by sreedotk : 18th August 2011 at 22:54.
Old 19th August 2011, 14:13   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am on a lookout for a best buffet lunch hotel..Per head should be less than Rs.500

Prefer non-veg dishes for a people of 6
I was also in the look out for a buffet party. After lot of enquiry and deliberations sent to Hotel Marina Towers Egmore. Buffet lunch was 425 nett. We were a group of 15, mostly non veg people. The spread was very good, particularly desserts. Ambience was very good too. I would say total VFM. Comparable to Barbeqnation in terms of VFM.
Highlights: Desserts, biriyani, chicken, vadais, soup..
Could be better: Fruits (very little), salads, veg gravy for rotis

Places like GRT were quoting 600+ , not worth it unless it is office party.

You can try. You will not be disappointed.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:17   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking for a simple place to grab some eats near Ega?I'd recommend Guest Hotel;reasonable and tummy friendly.

For some exotic greek stuff try Kryptos by Willi Kader Nawazkhan Road Nungambaks and for Northie stuff, Sigri Sterling Road
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:39   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_lo

I was also in the look out for a buffet party. After lot of enquiry and deliberations sent to Hotel Marina Towers Egmore. Buffet lunch was 425 nett. We were a group of 15, mostly non veg people. The spread was very good, particularly desserts. Ambience was very good too. I would say total VFM. Comparable to Barbeqnation in terms of VFM.
Highlights: Desserts, biriyani, chicken, vadais, soup..
Could be better: Fruits (very little), salads, veg gravy for rotis

Places like GRT were quoting 600+ , not worth it unless it is office party.

You can try. You will not be disappointed.
I have been there with for my office party, nonveg varieties was very less, veggies were gud. Food was good overall, but due to lack of nonveg, i am not liking it.

Went to sea shells in anna nagar. Awesome food, huge varieties and till we finished, our food was hot to warm. For a 4 member, we were charged only 1k.

Seen a poster on haleem too available.
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:22   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
My Friend is from chennai. The fisherman's fare employee is his neighbor and friend so your guess is as good as mine :-)

I am planning to try out some time , If i do i will definitely post my thoughts

I don't think the road is Greams road, I think it is Casa Major road.

fishermans fare chennai - Google Maps

The above link would give you a good indication of the location
Ouch, that used to be an IT company back then .
Old 25th August 2011, 12:47   #441
BHPian

Guys,

Any recommendations for a Candle Light Dinner in Chennai. Basera in the ECR is one, but they take a lot of time to serve and turning out a bit expensive these days.

Crimson Chakra is one other. Any other recommendations ?

Last edited by para_7k : 25th August 2011 at 12:48.
Old 25th August 2011, 13:32   #442
BHPian

Guys,

This might be of some help to you.
Recently threw a party for friends for a salary hike in office.
Since it was a joint party we were looking for a non veg buffet in price range of Rs 600 all inclusive. we also thought if the number of people (planned for 30 pax) dropped below 20, we will go for Taj. So here goes the rates

Taj club house mount road: Rs 1100 all inclusive (Dry) and Rs 1400 all inclusive wet.
Htl JP (opp to CMBT) Rs 490 all inlc (2 soup, 9 salad, 1 live counter, 22 veg and 5 non veg, 12 desserts)
Grt grand Rs 775 all inclusive
Ambassador pallava: Rs 575 + tax (separate hall. Restaurent is cheaper. Said max 15 pax in a group allowed in restaurant)
Radha regent Rs 600 + tax for separate hall, Rs 575 all incl for restaurant
Le meridian Rs 1300 in separate hall

Initially we planned for radha regent as In restaurant they had menu profile similar to hotel JP. We also had many corporate dinners there (though the no of pax never exceeded 15)They said that they will not allow more than 15 pax in their restaurant and offered us separate hall for dinner. We said OK and asked them to book the hall without checking the menu available. We thought that it would be same as restaurant. But when they sent the menu we were shocked to see that the menu was
1 welcome strawberry drink
1 veg soup
2 non veg dishes
7 veg dishes
2 desserts

We said that menu variety is too small and we need something similar to restaurant for the price they were quoting. We also told them that we do not want a separate hall and we are ok with restaurent itself. It is they who said no room for 30 in restaurant. They told us that this menu is fixed for separate hall and if we want to add an extra dish, it would be chargeable. On hearing this we told them we are cancelling our booking. To which they said that since we had already confirmed the booking we need to pay the full amount to cancel the booking. So we told them to "Go to hell". All the above events happened in a matter of 40 minutes max.

So guys be careful with these guys. We did not ask them for a separate hall. We asked them to reserve 30 seats in restaurant (Which is actually available). Its they who offered us a separate hall. Now they cut the menu to cope for the hall rent and they had the guts to tell us to pay the full amount.

Finally we ended up at Thalapakatti in anna nagar for a fully satisfied treat. The whole bill for 30 persons is Rs 12000 odd. We were even offered some discounts.

Then two days later went for Htl Jp for another treat. Though the number of dishes is more everybody complained that they could not eat as they had in Thalapakatti. But the desserts were decent and food was little spicy.

Barath
Old 14th November 2011, 17:05   #443
BHPian

Last week i happen to go to this place "Crimson Chakra". Food was very good and so was the ambience. But it was priced a little on the higher side. Not very crowded. I guess its run by actress revathy.

They have this offer. if all girls gang its 10% discount and if you register in their website and show them the acknowledgement 10% discount.
Old 14th November 2011, 22:20   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha View Post
Last week i happen to go to this place "Crimson Chakra". Food was very good and so was the ambience. But it was priced a little on the higher side. Not very crowded. I guess its run by actress revathy.

They have this offer. if all girls gang its 10% discount and if you register in their website and show them the acknowledgement 10% discount.
I went with my wife and friends - and I didnt like a single dish I are. Probably bad selection, but I wont go there again. Too expensive too.
Old 15th November 2011, 16:39   #445
BHPian

There is this new restaurant opened up on Khader Nawas Khan Road called 5 Seasons

This is completely an upmarket place where they serve Italian/Mediteranean Food. I had ordered a Pizza and a ravioli and I must say the food there was in one word awesome. The cheese just melted in my mouth. The ambience is very good giving you an option of sitting outside with a view of Khader Nawas road, and the interiors with air-conditioning.

Interesting thing about this place is that they have live bands playing on certain days.

This place is very costly but definitely a must go.

Last edited by DerAlte : 16th November 2011 at 17:19. Reason: Inappropriate portion edited out
xtremeshock is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th November 2011, 18:11   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

I was treated to a meal at the new Mounts Rd Raintree yesterday evening!

Very good buffet. I'm happy to be able to say that I don't know the price.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 18:55   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was treated to a meal at the new Mounts Rd Raintree yesterday evening!

Very good buffet. I'm happy to be able to say that I don't know the price.
Have been to the buffet, I liked it as well, well you are lucky to have been treated as it costs around 1200 plus taxes if I am not mistaken.
Old 15th November 2011, 19:19   #448
BHPian

Guys,

Last weekend I happened to go to a small chat shop in purasaiwakkam near dharma Prakash wedding hall. The name of the shop is links. Tried the chats, muruku sandwich and some sandwiches. Must say a really nice place and excellent food. Only draw back was huge crowd and small place to accommodate. Service was quick but weekends he gets too busy
Old 21st November 2011, 14:27   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Guys,

Last weekend I happened to go to a small chat shop in purasaiwakkam near dharma Prakash wedding hall. The name of the shop is links. Tried the chats, muruku sandwich and some sandwiches. Must say a really nice place and excellent food. Only draw back was huge crowd and small place to accommodate. Service was quick but weekends he gets too busy
I would want to try this once. Let me know when you can take me there
Old 21st November 2011, 14:29   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha View Post
I would want to try this once. Let me know when you can take me there
Anytime mate for you!! I am sure there is going to be a treat from you and why not this place for a trial. Am game

Most Viewed